    considered as good a Japanese? RCA may be Korean. I don't know about the others.
    I'd appreciate any suggestions or comments. Thanks.

    , Oct 28, 2004

  2. qnr Guest

    On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 21:35:16 -0500, Joe_Gondola wrote:

    > Are any of these brands or models known for being good or bad? I
    > probably want the Magnavox MDV456/17 or RCA DRC108N because both will
    > display jpeg files (I think) and Divx may not be important. It's for a
    > gift. Are Korean made consumer electronics products considered as good a
    > Japanese? RCA may be Korean. I don't know about the others. I'd
    > appreciate any suggestions or comments. Thanks.

    I have the Philips DVP642 - it plays JPEGs. One thing I don't like (which
    may not matter to you, since you state DivX might not be important) is
    that it doesn't seem to like mpeg4/DivX etc. on DVD-R/DVD+R -- seems to
    be an indexing problem, which causes annoying skips. They work great on
    CDs though.

    Terry

    --
    Terry Ross | qnr | <> | http://linux.aliboom.com
    Source Mage GNU/Linux: http://www.sourcemage.org - Tome team & General Guru

    qnr, Oct 28, 2004

  3. Avoid the Phillips unit ... they are junk.

    Of the ones you mentioned I'd choose RCA, we had one before I switched to a
    Media Center PC and it was an excellent player. Played just about anything
    we stuck in it.

    <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking at the following:
    >
    > Philips DVP642 (Plays DVD, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/+RW, CD, CD-R/RW, VCD, SVCD,

    MP3-CD, MPEG-4,
    > Picture-CD and DivX 3.11/4.x/5.x)
    >
    > Magnavox MDV456/17 (Plays DVD, DVD+R/RW, CD, CD-R/RW, MP3 CD, VCD, SVCD,

    JPEG (with MP3))

    > RCA DRC108N (Plays back DVD, DVD-R/-RW, DVD+R/+RW, CD, CD-R/RW, VCD, SVCD,

    MP3, WMA and
    > JPEG discs )
    >
    > RCA DRC240N (Plays back DVD, DVD-R/-RW, DVD+R/+RW, CD, CD-R/RW, VCD, SVCD,

    MP3, WMA, JPEG

    Colon Terminus, Oct 28, 2004
  4. >I'm looking at the following:

    >Philips DVP642 (Plays DVD, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/+RW, CD, CD-R/RW, VCD, SVCD,
    >MP3-CD, MPEG-4,
    >Picture-CD and DivX 3.11/4.x/5.x)
    >
    >Magnavox MDV456/17 (Plays DVD, DVD+R/RW, CD, CD-R/RW, MP3 CD, VCD, SVCD, JPEG
    >(with MP3))
    >
    >RCA DRC108N (Plays back DVD, DVD-R/-RW, DVD+R/+RW, CD, CD-R/RW, VCD, SVCD,
    >MP3, WMA and
    >JPEG discs )
    >
    >RCA DRC240N (Plays back DVD, DVD-R/-RW, DVD+R/+RW, CD, CD-R/RW, VCD, SVCD,
    >MP3, WMA, JPEG
    >and MPEG4 (DivX) discs)
    >
    >Are any of these brands or models known for being good or bad?

    All the brands you've specified are known for just being plain bad, especially
    RCA.

    Are Korean made consumer electronics
    >products
    >considered as good a Japanese?

    Personally, no. LG DVD players seem iffy while Samsung and Daewoo are crap.

    RCA may be Korean. I don't know about the
    >others.

    Philips is Dutch. Magnavox is a name that went from being a Philips property
    to a Funai property back to a Philips property.

    It should be important to note that not all Philips and Magnavox DVD players
    were made by Philips. Some models from these brands were OEMed by Funai.
    About the only thing that's worse than RCA is Funai when it comes to DVD
    players.

    RCA is French. It used to be an American company. RCA was purchased by
    General Electric in 1986. GE dismantled RCA and sold the pieces to Thomson,
    which is owned by the French government.

    The only thing that remains of RCA under GE ownership is NBC.

    >I'd appreciate any suggestions or comments. Thanks.

    Sony, Pioneer, or JVC.

    It sounds like a JVC, like the XVN310B, would be the ideal player as it
    supports the stuff that the players you've listed will work with, in addition
    to being a superior quality player to Philips, Magnavox, and RCA.
    Plus, the JVC model I've specified doesn't cost an arm and a leg for what
    you're getting. MSRP is around $79. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Oct 28, 2004
  5. Pug Fugley Guest

    Jeez man, all of those are pretty much junk. Where are you shopping??

    Pug Fugley, Oct 29, 2004
  6. Guest

    On 28 Oct 2004 20:19:44 GMT, (LASERandDVDfan) wrote:

    >>I'm looking at the following:
    >>
    >>Philips DVP642 (Plays DVD, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/+RW, CD, CD-R/RW, VCD, SVCD,
    >>MP3-CD, MPEG-4,
    >>Picture-CD and DivX 3.11/4.x/5.x)
    >>
    >>Magnavox MDV456/17 (Plays DVD, DVD+R/RW, CD, CD-R/RW, MP3 CD, VCD, SVCD, JPEG
    >>(with MP3))
    >>
    >>RCA DRC108N (Plays back DVD, DVD-R/-RW, DVD+R/+RW, CD, CD-R/RW, VCD, SVCD,
    >>MP3, WMA and
    >>JPEG discs )
    >>
    >>RCA DRC240N (Plays back DVD, DVD-R/-RW, DVD+R/+RW, CD, CD-R/RW, VCD, SVCD,
    >>MP3, WMA, JPEG
    >>and MPEG4 (DivX) discs)
    >>
    >>Are any of these brands or models known for being good or bad?

    >All the brands you've specified are known for just being plain bad, especially
    >RCA.
    >
    >Are Korean made consumer electronics
    >>products
    >>considered as good a Japanese?

    >Personally, no. LG DVD players seem iffy while Samsung and Daewoo are crap.
    >
    >RCA may be Korean. I don't know about the
    >>others.

    >Philips is Dutch. Magnavox is a name that went from being a Philips property
    >to a Funai property back to a Philips property.

    I didn't know that about Magnavox.

    >It should be important to note that not all Philips and Magnavox DVD players
    >were made by Philips. Some models from these brands were OEMed by Funai.
    >About the only thing that's worse than RCA is Funai when it comes to DVD
    >players.
    >
    >RCA is French. It used to be an American company. RCA was purchased by
    >General Electric in 1986. GE dismantled RCA and sold the pieces to Thomson,
    >which is owned by the French government.

    I knew Thompson and RCA were French. I didn't know they were owned by the government. I
    bought a GE VCR a few years back that was crap, made in Korea so I thought the RCA's might
    be Korean made as well.

    >The only thing that remains of RCA under GE ownership is NBC.
    >
    >>I'd appreciate any suggestions or comments. Thanks.

    >Sony, Pioneer, or JVC.
    >
    >It sounds like a JVC, like the XVN310B, would be the ideal player as it
    >supports the stuff that the players you've listed will work with, in addition
    >to being a superior quality player to Philips, Magnavox, and RCA.
    >Plus, the JVC model I've specified doesn't cost an arm and a leg for what
    >you're getting. MSRP is around $79. - Reinhart

    I see PC Richard has the JVC for that price. I think you may be right about the features
    based on their website http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027150&pathId=10

    If the description says Jpeg can I assume they are talking about viewing still pictures
    from jpeg files?

    Just in case they are out of stock, what do you think of this Sony from Best Buy?

    Sony $89.99
    Model: DVP-NS575P

    DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/+RW, DVD-VR, CD, CD-R/RW, MP3-CD and JPEG playback

    Thank you very much for all the valuable information! I cross-posted my reply in case
    someone in another group wants to comment.

    , Oct 29, 2004
  7. Guest

    On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 02:40:20 -0500, qnr <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 21:35:16 -0500, Joe_Gondola wrote:
    >

    >> Are any of these brands or models known for being good or bad? I
    >> probably want the Magnavox MDV456/17 or RCA DRC108N because both will
    >> display jpeg files (I think) and Divx may not be important. It's for a
    >> gift. Are Korean made consumer electronics products considered as good a
    >> Japanese? RCA may be Korean. I don't know about the others. I'd
    >> appreciate any suggestions or comments. Thanks.

    >I have the Philips DVP642 - it plays JPEGs. One thing I don't like (which
    >may not matter to you, since you state DivX might not be important) is
    >that it doesn't seem to like mpeg4/DivX etc. on DVD-R/DVD+R -- seems to
    >be an indexing problem, which causes annoying skips. They work great on
    >CDs though.
    >
    >Terry

    Thank you.

    , Oct 29, 2004
  8. Guest

    On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 12:19:01 GMT, "Colon Terminus" <> wrote:

    >Avoid the Phillips unit ... they are junk.

    I knew their CD burners had a bad reputation. I didn't know about their other products.

    >Of the ones you mentioned I'd choose RCA, we had one before I switched to a
    >Media Center PC and it was an excellent player. Played just about anything
    >we stuck in it.

    Thank you.

    ><> wrote in message
    >> I'm looking at the following:
    >>
    >> Philips DVP642 (Plays DVD, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/+RW, CD, CD-R/RW, VCD, SVCD,

    >MP3-CD, MPEG-4,
    >> Picture-CD and DivX 3.11/4.x/5.x)
    >>
    >> Magnavox MDV456/17 (Plays DVD, DVD+R/RW, CD, CD-R/RW, MP3 CD, VCD, SVCD,

    >JPEG (with MP3))
    >>
    >> RCA DRC108N (Plays back DVD, DVD-R/-RW, DVD+R/+RW, CD, CD-R/RW, VCD, SVCD,

    >MP3, WMA and
    >> JPEG discs )
    >>
    >> RCA DRC240N (Plays back DVD, DVD-R/-RW, DVD+R/+RW, CD, CD-R/RW, VCD, SVCD,

    >MP3, WMA, JPEG
    >> and MPEG4 (DivX) discs)
    >>
    >> Are any of these brands or models known for being good or bad? I probably

    >want the
    >> Magnavox MDV456/17 or RCA DRC108N because both will display jpeg files (I

    >think) and Divx
    >> may not be important. It's for a gift. Are Korean made consumer

    >electronics products
    >> considered as good a Japanese? RCA may be Korean. I don't know about the

    >others.
    >> I'd appreciate any suggestions or comments. Thanks.

    , Oct 29, 2004
  9. Guest

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 01:45:12 GMT, "Pug Fugley" <> wrote:

    >Jeez man, all of those are pretty much junk. Where are you shopping??

    The big chains. They have other brands and models too. I just looked at the low cost
    models up to around $70 for the Philips and RCA and saw they had the features I wanted,
    not knowing what is junk or good. If I knew what was good and what was junk I wouldn't be
    here asking. Thank you.

    ><> wrote in message
    >> I'm looking at the following:
    >>
    >> Philips DVP642 (Plays DVD, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/+RW, CD, CD-R/RW, VCD, SVCD,

    >MP3-CD, MPEG-4,
    >> Picture-CD and DivX 3.11/4.x/5.x)
    >>
    >> Magnavox MDV456/17 (Plays DVD, DVD+R/RW, CD, CD-R/RW, MP3 CD, VCD, SVCD,

    >JPEG (with MP3))
    >>
    >> RCA DRC108N (Plays back DVD, DVD-R/-RW, DVD+R/+RW, CD, CD-R/RW, VCD, SVCD,

    >MP3, WMA and
    >> JPEG discs )
    >>
    >> RCA DRC240N (Plays back DVD, DVD-R/-RW, DVD+R/+RW, CD, CD-R/RW, VCD, SVCD,

    >MP3, WMA, JPEG
    >> and MPEG4 (DivX) discs)
    >>
    >> Are any of these brands or models known for being good or bad? I probably

    >want the
    >> Magnavox MDV456/17 or RCA DRC108N because both will display jpeg files (I

    >think) and Divx
    >> may not be important. It's for a gift. Are Korean made consumer

    >electronics products
    >> considered as good a Japanese? RCA may be Korean. I don't know about the

    >others.
    >> I'd appreciate any suggestions or comments. Thanks.

    , Oct 29, 2004
  10. >I knew Thompson and RCA were French. I didn't know they were owned by the
    >government. I
    >bought a GE VCR a few years back that was crap, made in Korea so I thought
    >the RCA's might
    >be Korean made as well.

    General Electric has a contract with Thomson. While GE still makes their own
    appliances and jet engines domestically, Thomson manufactures or hires OEM
    sources for consumer electronics with the right to use the GE brand.

    Thomson doesn't make everything by themselves, so they do hire OEM (original
    equipment manufacturer) sources for some of their products.

    The Korean made GE VCR was likely one that was OEMed by Samsung for Thomson.

    >If the description says Jpeg can I assume they are talking about viewing
    >still pictures
    >from jpeg files?

    Yes.

    >Sony $89.99
    >Model: DVP-NS575P
    >
    >DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/+RW, DVD-VR, CD, CD-R/RW, MP3-CD and JPEG playback

    Not a bad player, so far. It just came to market not too long ago and uses the
    newly designed PrecisionDrive 3 system.

    Previous generation PrecisionDrive systems manipulated the positioning of the
    drive traverse to counter for imperfect discs.

    The current generation does this witihin the optical pickup instead, which
    simplifies the traverse design.

    Plus, the DVP-NS575 has extremely fast navigation and is one of the few players
    with seamless layer changes, so there are no pauses during the layer switch of
    RSDL (dual layer) DVDs with this model.

    >Thank you very much for all the valuable information! I cross-posted my reply
    >in case
    >someone in another group wants to comment.

    You're very welcome. I'm glad I was of some assistance. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Oct 29, 2004
  11. Pug Fugley Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 01:45:12 GMT, "Pug Fugley" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Jeez man, all of those are pretty much junk. Where are you shopping??
    > >

    > The big chains. They have other brands and models too. I just looked at

    the low cost
    > models up to around $70 for the Philips and RCA and saw they had the

    features I wanted,
    > not knowing what is junk or good. If I knew what was good and what was

    junk I wouldn't be
    > here asking. Thank you.

    For under $70 you can get a Pioneer, Panasonic, JVC, Samsung, Toshiba, or
    Sony. Of course don't expect much if you are not willing to spend some
    money. You get what you pay for. Buy the cheap player, you get the cheap
    player.

    Pug Fugley, Oct 29, 2004
  12. awknod Guest

    Should only get one with an AT attachment, like a DVD rom attachment in a
    computer, if the DVD player rom fails, (happens a lot in regular DVD
    players) you can easily swap with another. like the Norcent DP300 (Norcent
    allows a hardrive to be hooked up, with AT attachment ,plays everything but
    DIVX, have it for 2 years still works great (with free firmware the Norcent
    even plays with an old cd rom 2 speed,doesn`t even have to be a DVD rom, but
    of course CD roms will only play CD`s not DVD`s. Citizen JDVD 3830 is
    another.

    awknod, Oct 29, 2004
  13. Papageno Guest

    "awknod" <> wrote in message
    > > For under $70 you can get a Pioneer, Panasonic, JVC, Samsung, Toshiba,

    or
    > > Sony. Of course don't expect much if you are not willing to spend some
    > > money. You get what you pay for. Buy the cheap player, you get the cheap
    > > player.

    That's not true with these units. The cheapest unit is often nearly the
    best. There's not much room for product differentiation, and the market is
    near saturation.

    So the high-price brand names offer only two things that the cheap units
    don't:
    1. High-price
    2. Brand name

    Papageno, Oct 29, 2004
  14. Michael Bird Guest

    Six weeks ago my 3 year old Cyberhome 500 bit the dust so I had to go
    shopping for an inexpensive (cheap!!) replacement. After shopping around
    quite a bit I finally bought a Zenith DVB412 player at Circuit City for
    $59.99 - my console TV is a Zenith and has been a good buy so far.

    I have quite a few Region 2 dvd's so I needed a unit that I could easily
    hack to play every region and found the hack software on the net. It was an
    easy download to the HDD and then to make a copy using Nero to a cd-r disk.
    Inserted the disk into the player and it bought up the screen for zone
    selection. Set the player to Region O and that was all okay. It did change
    a couple of settings on the player but that was an easy set up fix. (I had
    to reset the size setting for wide screen etc).

    It has played everything that I have tried so far. Regions 1, 2 and 3 disks
    and widescreen and fullscreen presented no problems. I have the sound going
    through my Denon sound system and it has played just fine for my untrained
    ears.

    For $60 I have no complaints so far. It plays my CD's through the stereo
    and the stereo separation is just fine. I have owned a few players over the
    years from expensive to the very cheap ($300 Sony's to $39 Cyberhome 300)
    and this Zenith both plays well and looks good as well. May be worth
    considering.

    Michael

    http://www.geocities.com/dvdtechman/RegionFree.zip

    Michael Bird, Oct 30, 2004
  15. Guest

    On 29 Oct 2004 02:19:11 GMT, (LASERandDVDfan) wrote:

    >>I knew Thompson and RCA were French. I didn't know they were owned by the
    >>government. I
    >>bought a GE VCR a few years back that was crap, made in Korea so I thought
    >>the RCA's might
    >>be Korean made as well.

    >General Electric has a contract with Thomson. While GE still makes their own
    >appliances and jet engines domestically, Thomson manufactures or hires OEM
    >sources for consumer electronics with the right to use the GE brand.
    >
    >Thomson doesn't make everything by themselves, so they do hire OEM (original
    >equipment manufacturer) sources for some of their products.
    >
    >The Korean made GE VCR was likely one that was OEMed by Samsung for Thomson.

    I see.

    >>If the description says Jpeg can I assume they are talking about viewing
    >>still pictures
    >>from jpeg files?

    >Yes.

    Cool.

    >>Sony $89.99
    >>Model: DVP-NS575P
    >>
    >>DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/+RW, DVD-VR, CD, CD-R/RW, MP3-CD and JPEG playback

    >Not a bad player, so far. It just came to market not too long ago and uses the
    >newly designed PrecisionDrive 3 system.
    >
    >Previous generation PrecisionDrive systems manipulated the positioning of the
    >drive traverse to counter for imperfect discs.
    >
    >The current generation does this witihin the optical pickup instead, which
    >simplifies the traverse design.
    >
    >Plus, the DVP-NS575 has extremely fast navigation and is one of the few players
    >with seamless layer changes, so there are no pauses during the layer switch of
    >RSDL (dual layer) DVDs with this model.

    Interesting features. Thank you.

    >>Thank you very much for all the valuable information! I cross-posted my reply
    >>in case
    >>someone in another group wants to comment.

    >You're very welcome. I'm glad I was of some assistance. - Reinhart

    , Oct 30, 2004
  16. Guest

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 03:08:49 GMT, "Pug Fugley" <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 01:45:12 GMT, "Pug Fugley" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Jeez man, all of those are pretty much junk. Where are you shopping??
    >> >

    >> The big chains. They have other brands and models too. I just looked at

    >the low cost
    >> models up to around $70 for the Philips and RCA and saw they had the

    >features I wanted,
    >> not knowing what is junk or good. If I knew what was good and what was

    >junk I wouldn't be
    >> here asking. Thank you.

    >For under $70 you can get a Pioneer, Panasonic, JVC, Samsung, Toshiba, or
    >Sony. Of course don't expect much if you are not willing to spend some
    >money. You get what you pay for. Buy the cheap player, you get the cheap
    >player.

    Generally I agree. Sometimes you get less when spending more. It probably depends on the
    brand, model and luck. For example I bought an expensive Plextor 12x CD burner a few years
    ago ($220 at buy.com and it wasn't their fastest model) that didn't last half as long as
    most less expensive models. Thanks.

    , Oct 30, 2004
  17. Guest

    The price is right, $40 at amazon.com

    Are you saying the ROM memory itself may fail? I like the idea of hooking up a hard disk
    though I have know idea how I would use that feature with a DVD player. Thank you.

    >"Pug Fugley" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> <> wrote in message

    >> > The big chains. They have other brands and models too. I just looked at

    >> the low cost
    >> > models up to around $70 for the Philips and RCA and saw they had the

    >> features I wanted,
    >> > not knowing what is junk or good. If I knew what was good and what was

    >> junk I wouldn't be
    >> > here asking. Thank you.

    >> For under $70 you can get a Pioneer, Panasonic, JVC, Samsung, Toshiba, or
    >> Sony. Of course don't expect much if you are not willing to spend some
    >> money. You get what you pay for. Buy the cheap player, you get the cheap
    >> player.

    , Oct 30, 2004
  18. Guest

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 22:07:53 -0500, "Michael Bird" <> wrote:

    >Six weeks ago my 3 year old Cyberhome 500 bit the dust so I had to go
    >shopping for an inexpensive (cheap!!) replacement. After shopping around
    >quite a bit I finally bought a Zenith DVB412 player at Circuit City for
    >$59.99 - my console TV is a Zenith and has been a good buy so far.
    >
    >I have quite a few Region 2 dvd's so I needed a unit that I could easily
    >hack to play every region and found the hack software on the net. It was an
    >easy download to the HDD and then to make a copy using Nero to a cd-r disk.
    >Inserted the disk into the player and it bought up the screen for zone
    >selection. Set the player to Region O and that was all okay. It did change
    >a couple of settings on the player but that was an easy set up fix. (I had
    >to reset the size setting for wide screen etc).
    >
    >It has played everything that I have tried so far. Regions 1, 2 and 3 disks
    >and widescreen and fullscreen presented no problems. I have the sound going
    >through my Denon sound system and it has played just fine for my untrained
    >ears.
    >
    >For $60 I have no complaints so far. It plays my CD's through the stereo
    >and the stereo separation is just fine. I have owned a few players over the
    >years from expensive to the very cheap ($300 Sony's to $39 Cyberhome 300)
    >and this Zenith both plays well and looks good as well. May be worth
    >considering.
    >
    >Michael
    >
    >http://www.geocities.com/dvdtechman/RegionFree.zip

    Thanks. I didn't know some of these players were hackable. Very interesting. I really
    don't like the idea of a Region restriction. I sometimes hear of English language versions
    of movies from other regions that are better than what they sell in the US.

    , Oct 30, 2004
  19. Guest

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 18:39:28 -0400, "Papageno" <> wrote:

    >"awknod" <> wrote in message
    >> > For under $70 you can get a Pioneer, Panasonic, JVC, Samsung, Toshiba,

    >or
    >> > Sony. Of course don't expect much if you are not willing to spend some
    >> > money. You get what you pay for. Buy the cheap player, you get the cheap
    >> > player.

    >That's not true with these units. The cheapest unit is often nearly the
    >best. There's not much room for product differentiation, and the market is
    >near saturation.
    >
    >So the high-price brand names offer only two things that the cheap units
    >don't:
    >1. High-price
    >2. Brand name

    I find that is sometime the case too. Since this is a gift I don't want to risk buying the
    lower cost Korean made or Philips products. However whatever I buy it might be made in
    China and I'm not really sure they are any better than the Korean made products. ;-) Oh
    well. I bought a Sony mini-stereo for a gift less than 2 years ago made in China and it's
    already having problems reading MP3's from CDR's. It worked great for almost 2 years
    without being used very much and now it's poop. Thanks.

    , Oct 30, 2004
  20. awknod Guest

    Not the Rom memory, but the DVD rom itself, the laser and other things can
    break easily in some players.
    A harddrive hookup works just like the DVD rom, except holds many more
    movies or files,without having to remove discs all the time, Can be used
    with or without the DVD rom attached.Any size drive should work. check out
    Nerd-out.com

    awknod, Oct 30, 2004