    network? are there any web pages anyone can recommend to guide me through
    networking step by step?

    Cheers, Sam

    =?Utf-8?B?U2Ft?=, Apr 20, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?U2Ft?=

    Malke Guest

    Sam wrote:

    > Hello, i am a complete beginner with regards to newtworking. i would
    > like to set up a wireless network in my house to share an internet
    > connection, scanner, and printer. i have a main pc with a free PCI
    > slots, another pc with no free PCI slot (however does have a free USB
    > port) and a laptop with a free PCMCIA slot. what are the minimum
    > components i need to buy to set up this network? are there any web
    > pages anyone can recommend to guide me through networking step by
    > step?
    >
    > Cheers, Sam

    Here are some links that will help you. I include the Linksys link not
    because you must buy Linksys hardware of course, but because the
    pictures are helpful.

    Linksys networking information
    http://www.linksys.com/edu/

    Wireless Network Setup Wizard SP2

    Wireless - Basic Configuration -
    The six dumbest ways to secure a wireless LAN -
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/index.php?p=43

    And for general networking:

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm (Home)
    (Pro)

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Apr 20, 2005

  3. Additionally good IMHO one is
    www.wown.com
    Arkady

    Arkady Frenkel, Apr 20, 2005
  4. Beginners normally find it hard to configure networks using Windows tool
    (frankly i dont blame them), try suing network magic, and also try setting up
    a firewall. If you are going wireless try using something like Zone Alarm
    Wireless.

    good luck!

    Cheers

    Quintin
    MVP wannabe

    =?Utf-8?B?UXVpbnRpbg==?=, Apr 21, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?U2Ft?=

    Rob D Guest

    "Quintin" <> wrote in message
    > Beginners normally find it hard to configure networks using Windows tool
    > (frankly i dont blame them), try suing network magic,

    Why blame them? He probably won't have much success anyway.

    Rob D, Apr 21, 2005