    I get the 80gb work. I have jumped it the right way. I have controlled the
    IDE cable. is there anything in the BIOS to setup?
    Help! Help!!
    Buzz, Aug 19, 2004

  2. Buzz

    AG Guest

    "Buzz" <> wrote in message
    news:i67Vc.159392$...
    > I have a Pll 350 that got blocked when I installed optic mouse, but I have
    > decided to install 80gb of HD but it does not see it(80gb) after reading

    the
    > cdrom it stops.but when i put the 6gb that was there before it sees it..

    If
    > I update the BIOS, could it help to get the pc see the 80gb? if not how

    can
    > I get the 80gb work. I have jumped it the right way. I have controlled the
    > IDE cable. is there anything in the BIOS to setup?
    > Help! Help!!

    It might help to upgrade the BIOS but don't count on it. There's a real
    limit on computers of this age as to the size of drive you can use.
    If you have an empty PCI slot you can put an IDE controller in so you can
    use the drive. A drive controller will also access the driver faster than
    that motherboard will allow you to.
    I like Promise controllers. There's one here for $26.99
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=16-102-002&depa=0

    AG
    AG, Aug 19, 2004

  3. Buzz

    Geoff Guest

    Buzz wrote:
    > I have a Pll 350 that got blocked when I installed optic mouse, but I
    > have decided to install 80gb of HD but it does not see it(80gb) after
    > reading the cdrom it stops.but when i put the 6gb that was there
    > before it sees it.. If I update the BIOS, could it help to get the pc
    > see the 80gb? if not how can I get the 80gb work. I have jumped it
    > the right way. I have controlled the IDE cable. is there anything in
    > the BIOS to setup?
    > Help! Help!!

    updating the bios might help yes, it *should* be ok with 80gig, anything
    before p2's can't see anything that big, i forget what the limit was, i
    think it was 8gig for pentium 1's (it depends on chipset)

    check the jumper config on it again

    there won't be much that needs setting in the bios but the basics,
    best settings for all 4 ide channels is for them to be set to auto
    some poeple like the use the auto detect (which sets them to manual)
    basicly, if it won't work under auto, manual is not going to help

    manual was only really useful on stuff like 386, 486, pentium1's at worst
    (some pc's didn't like to work properly on auto)
    Geoff, Aug 19, 2004
  4. Buzz

    Kenny Guest

    Seems you have a BIOS limitation on HDD size, look on HDD mfrs. site for
    drive overlay software which can overcome BIOS size limitations. Never used
    it personally but I believe it works by dividing the drive into smaller
    partitions and fooling the BIOS.

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Aug 19, 2004
  5. Buzz

    cc0275012 Guest

    If you choose the "install a IDE Controller route", remember you should need
    to disable the onboard IDE controller.

    cc0275012, Aug 20, 2004
  6. Buzz

    AG Guest

    "cc0275012" <> wrote in message
    > If you choose the "install a IDE Controller route", remember you should

    need
    > to disable the onboard IDE controller.

    I never did. I ran an old PC with 3 CDROMs and 3 hard drives at once for a
    while. I was really just testing the CD ROM to make sure it was good but
    after I put it in I got busy and didn't take it out for a while but it
    worked fine.
    The hard drives were all on the IDE controller and the CDROMs were all on
    the onboard controller.

    AG

    AG, Aug 20, 2004