    and, what is the difference between a Celeron and
    a Pentium processor. also Centrino?? What gives??

    Please help. Thank you.
    Zippo, Nov 24, 2004

  2. Zippo

    edard Guest

    Zippo wrote:

    > which is more reliable?? DSL,Cable, Broadband, etc.

    Depends on the provider.

    > and, what is the difference between a Celeron and
    > a Pentium processor. also Centrino??

    $ Cost of purchase $

    edard, Nov 24, 2004

  3. Zippo

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Zippo" <> wrote in message
    | which is more reliable?? DSL,Cable, Broadband, etc.

    DSL and Cable *are* broadband. Reliability is entirely a provider issue, not
    a technology issue.

    | and, what is the difference between a Celeron and
    | a Pentium processor. also Centrino?? What gives??

    Celeron is a scaled back (limited cache, lower clock speeds) version of the
    Pentium. See this web page:
    http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question268.htm

    Centrino is a whole different system. And I mean "system"...
    Toolman Tim, Nov 24, 2004
  4. Zippo wrote:
    > which is more reliable?? DSL,Cable, Broadband, etc.
    >
    > and, what is the difference between a Celeron and
    > a Pentium processor. also Centrino?? What gives??
    >
    > Please help. Thank you.

    As the others have pointed out, reliability and speed are up to the
    local provider, ask around about who's doing the best job. The
    difference in the technology seems to be that cable tends to lose
    performance due to overcrowding on the cable segments, DSL seems to lose
    performance based on distance to the central office and line quality. So
    ask your nearest neighbors what they think. You may also find that
    there's a third possibility in your area, wireless. It's the best choice
    in many areas.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 24, 2004
  5. Zippo

    CheechWizard Guest

    ....thank you...you have been very kind...
    what ISP would you recommend??...
    i use dial-up...AOL is messy, Earthlink
    drives me crazy...i use it because i convinced
    them to give me 6 months of service at $10.97
    per month...but i have this dibeng.dll that confuses
    me and Earthlink...what's your best guess??

    CheechWizard, Nov 24, 2004
  6. Zippo

    Toolman Tim Guest

    If you are on dialup (not broadband) find a local ISP. Service is usually
    better, less crap installed on your computer to mess it up, cost is less
    than the "national brands", etc. The only time I would recommend a national
    brand (MSN, Earthlink, PeoplePC, etc.) is for someone who travels a lot.

    If you are on broadband, you really need to talk to your "locals" - my cable
    service is excellent here, but I'm in a neighborhood where very few people
    are on cable, so it never "bogs down" as it might in some areas. I had
    wireless for awhile at work, but we were too far away from the transmitter.
    We ended up paying a pretty high installation for cable at the office, but
    it's way faster and the weather doesn't give it the blues (get it down...if
    you get my drift <g>).

    "CheechWizard" <> wrote in message
    | ...thank you...you have been very kind...
    | what ISP would you recommend??...
    | i use dial-up...AOL is messy, Earthlink
    | drives me crazy...i use it because i convinced
    | them to give me 6 months of service at $10.97
    | per month...but i have this dibeng.dll that confuses
    | me and Earthlink...what's your best guess??
    |
    | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    | >
    | > "Zippo" <> wrote in message
    | > | which is more reliable?? DSL,Cable, Broadband, etc.
    | > |

    Toolman Tim, Nov 24, 2004