Help 16xDVD Burner still stuck burning at 4x

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by joevan, Feb 6, 2006.

  1. joevan

    joevan Guest

    I downloaded and installed the updates but not much improvement.
    I noticed that when opening the drawer of the drive, other than 4x
    shows up in the burning speed window of my software. Then when the
    disk is inserted the high numbers disappear.
    As soon as it starts to burn it only gets to 4x.
    I have googled and read different views but would like to know if
    someone here can point me in the right direction.

    My Burner is a dual layer from new-egg about a year ago.
    PIODATA DVD-RW DVR-108DX
    Firmware Download http://www.piodata.com/downloads

    I am using XP 512 meg of ram.
    and for the same reason."

    joevan, Feb 6, 2006

  2. joevan wrote:
    > I downloaded and installed the updates but not much improvement.
    > I noticed that when opening the drawer of the drive, other than 4x
    > shows up in the burning speed window of my software. Then when the
    > disk is inserted the high numbers disappear.
    > As soon as it starts to burn it only gets to 4x.
    > I have googled and read different views but would like to know if
    > someone here can point me in the right direction.
    >
    > My Burner is a dual layer from new-egg about a year ago.
    > PIODATA DVD-RW DVR-108DX
    > Firmware Download http://www.piodata.com/downloads
    >

    > I am using XP 512 meg of ram.

    What speed media are you using?

    ::Your Name Here::, Feb 6, 2006

  3. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 23:47:52 +1100, ::Your Name Here:: <"::Your Name
    Here::"@dotcomdotaudotcom> wrote:

    >joevan wrote:
    >> I downloaded and installed the updates but not much improvement.
    >> I noticed that when opening the drawer of the drive, other than 4x
    >> shows up in the burning speed window of my software. Then when the
    >> disk is inserted the high numbers disappear.
    >> As soon as it starts to burn it only gets to 4x.
    >> I have googled and read different views but would like to know if
    >> someone here can point me in the right direction.
    >>
    >> My Burner is a dual layer from new-egg about a year ago.
    >> PIODATA DVD-RW DVR-108DX
    >> Firmware Download http://www.piodata.com/downloads
    >>

    >> I am using XP 512 meg of ram.

    >What speed media are you using?

    16 x DV -R TDK
    and for the same reason."

    joevan, Feb 6, 2006
  4. joevan

    Noel Paton Guest

    "joevan" <> wrote in message
    >I downloaded and installed the updates but not much improvement.
    > I noticed that when opening the drawer of the drive, other than 4x
    > shows up in the burning speed window of my software. Then when the
    > disk is inserted the high numbers disappear.
    > As soon as it starts to burn it only gets to 4x.
    > I have googled and read different views but would like to know if
    > someone here can point me in the right direction.
    >
    > My Burner is a dual layer from new-egg about a year ago.
    > PIODATA DVD-RW DVR-108DX
    > Firmware Download http://www.piodata.com/downloads
    >

    > I am using XP 512 meg of ram.

    What speed Media are you using?
    How much of the CPU is in use when burning?
    How much VM is in use?
    How big are the files you're burning?
    Are the files you're burning on the HD or are you copying another CD/DVD?

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton, Feb 6, 2006
  5. joevan

    p-nut Guest

    joevan wrote:
    > On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 23:47:52 +1100, ::Your Name Here:: <"::Your Name
    > Here::"@dotcomdotaudotcom> wrote:
    >
    >> joevan wrote:
    >>> I downloaded and installed the updates but not much improvement.
    >>> I noticed that when opening the drawer of the drive, other than 4x
    >>> shows up in the burning speed window of my software. Then when the
    >>> disk is inserted the high numbers disappear.
    >>> As soon as it starts to burn it only gets to 4x.
    >>> I have googled and read different views but would like to know if
    >>> someone here can point me in the right direction.
    >>>
    >>> My Burner is a dual layer from new-egg about a year ago.
    >>> PIODATA DVD-RW DVR-108DX
    >>> Firmware Download http://www.piodata.com/downloads
    >>>

    >>> I am using XP 512 meg of ram.

    >> What speed media are you using?

    > 16 x DV -R TDK

    Maybe the firmware that it was shipped with only supports up to 4x TDK
    media.
    Check the manufactures site and see if any newer firmware upgrades add
    support for you 16x media.
    If so then upgrade it.

    p-nut, Feb 6, 2006
  6. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 13:32:51 GMT, "p-nut" <i_don'> wrote:

    >joevan wrote:
    >> On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 23:47:52 +1100, ::Your Name Here:: <"::Your Name
    >> Here::"@dotcomdotaudotcom> wrote:

    >>> What speed media are you using?

    >> 16 x DV -R TDK

    >Maybe the firmware that it was shipped with only supports up to 4x TDK
    >media.
    >Check the manufactures site and see if any newer firmware upgrades add
    >support for you 16x media.
    >If so then upgrade it.

    Firmware Download http://www.piodata.com/downloads
    I did that before I posted this request for help.
    Is that not clear in my original post?
    Or do you mean something else?
    and for the same reason."

    joevan, Feb 6, 2006
  7. joevan

    Noel Paton Guest

    "joevan" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 13:32:51 GMT, "p-nut" <i_don'> wrote:
    >
    >>joevan wrote:

    >>> 16 x DV -R TDK

    >>Maybe the firmware that it was shipped with only supports up to 4x TDK
    >>media.
    >>Check the manufactures site and see if any newer firmware upgrades add
    >>support for you 16x media.
    >>If so then upgrade it.
    >>

    > Firmware Download http://www.piodata.com/downloads
    > I did that before I posted this request for help.
    > Is that not clear in my original post?
    > Or do you mean something else?

    Which firmware version is actually installed? - you would seem to need
    version 118. (and no, it's not clear from your original post)

    Noel Paton, Feb 6, 2006
  8. joevan

    p-nut Guest

    joevan wrote:
    > On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 13:32:51 GMT, "p-nut" <i_don'> wrote:
    >
    >> joevan wrote:

    >>> 16 x DV -R TDK

    >> Maybe the firmware that it was shipped with only supports up to 4x
    >> TDK media.
    >> Check the manufactures site and see if any newer firmware upgrades
    >> add support for you 16x media.
    >> If so then upgrade it.
    >>

    > Firmware Download http://www.piodata.com/downloads
    > I did that before I posted this request for help.
    > Is that not clear in my original post?
    > Or do you mean something else?

    Sorry, it was early and I hadn't had my coffee.
    Have you tried other 16x media?
    I've had some 8X Maxell media that would only burn at 4x before.

    p-nut, Feb 6, 2006
  9. joevan

    Trax Guest

    joevan <> wrote:

    |>I downloaded and installed the updates but not much improvement.
    |>I noticed that when opening the drawer of the drive, other than 4x
    |>shows up in the burning speed window of my software. Then when the
    |>disk is inserted the high numbers disappear.
    |>As soon as it starts to burn it only gets to 4x.
    |>I have googled and read different views but would like to know if
    |>someone here can point me in the right direction.
    |>
    |>My Burner is a dual layer from new-egg about a year ago.
    |>PIODATA DVD-RW DVR-108DX
    |>Firmware Download http://www.piodata.com/downloads
    |>

    |> I am using XP 512 meg of ram.

    In a different angle, do you play many games? Sounds something that
    Starforce might do; a copy protection that will degrade CD Speeds.

    Boycott Starforce
    http://www.glop.org/starforce/

    Digg.com
    http://digg.com/search?search=Starforce&submit=Submit

    --
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html

    Trax, Feb 6, 2006
  10. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 17:41:26 GMT, "p-nut" <i_don'> wrote:

    >joevan wrote:

    >>> Maybe the firmware that it was shipped with only supports up to 4x
    >>> TDK media.
    >>> Check the manufactures site and see if any newer firmware upgrades
    >>> add support for you 16x media.
    >>> If so then upgrade it.
    >>>

    >> Firmware Download http://www.piodata.com/downloads
    >> I did that before I posted this request for help.
    >> Is that not clear in my original post?
    >> Or do you mean something else?

    >Sorry, it was early and I hadn't had my coffee.
    >Have you tried other 16x media?
    >I've had some 8X Maxell media that would only burn at 4x before.

    Hey, no problem, I may have helped things but I will wait until I have
    a bit of stuff that needs burning. I will get back when I know more.
    This may have been happening for a while but I had attributed it to
    some on sale hp dvd+r that said 8x and was only burning at 4x.
    Someone later than you post asked about gaming and my answer is not.
    Later and thanks for getting back to me.
    and for the same reason."

    joevan, Feb 6, 2006
  11. joevan

    joevan Guest

    Re: Help 16xDVD Burner still stuck burning at 4x +something funny

    On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 18:04:40 GMT, joevan <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 17:41:26 GMT, "p-nut" <i_don'> wrote:
    >
    >>joevan wrote:

    >>> Firmware Download http://www.piodata.com/downloads
    >>> I did that before I posted this request for help.
    >>> Is that not clear in my original post?
    >>> Or do you mean something else?

    >>Sorry, it was early and I hadn't had my coffee.
    >>Have you tried other 16x media?
    >>I've had some 8X Maxell media that would only burn at 4x before.
    >>

    >Hey, no problem, I may have helped things but I will wait until I have
    >a bit of stuff that needs burning. I will get back when I know more.
    >This may have been happening for a while but I had attributed it to
    >some on sale hp dvd+r that said 8x and was only burning at 4x.
    >Someone later than you post asked about gaming and my answer is not.
    >Later and thanks for getting back to me.

    joevan
    Feb 6, 1:04 pm show options
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    From: joevan <> - Find messages by this
    author
    Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 18:04:40 GMT
    Subject: Re: Help 16xDVD Burner still stuck burning at 4x
    original | Report Abuse

    On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 17:41:26 GMT, "p-nut" <> wrote:
    >joevan wrote:

    >>> Maybe the firmware that it was shipped with only supports up to 4x
    >>> TDK media.
    >>> Check the manufactures site and see if any newer firmware upgrades
    >>> add support for you 16x media.
    >>> If so then upgrade it.

    >> Firmware Download http://www.piodata.com/downloads
    >> I did that before I posted this request for help.
    >> Is that not clear in my original post?
    >> Or do you mean something else?

    >Sorry, it was early and I hadn't had my coffee.
    >Have you tried other 16x media?
    >I've had some 8X Maxell media that would only burn at 4x before.

    Following is an email I got from google or just the last part of the
    entire thread .

    Hey, no problem, I may have helped things but I will wait until I have
    a bit of stuff that needs burning. I will get back when I know more.
    This may have been happening for a while but I had attributed it to
    some on sale hp dvd+r that said 8x and was only burning at 4x.
    Someone later than you post asked about gaming and my answer is not.
    Later and thanks for getting back to me.
    and for the same reason."

    Help 16xDVD Burner still stuck burning at 4x
    All 10 messages in topic - view as tree

    joevan
    Feb 6, 7:45 am show options
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    From: joevan <> - Find messages by this
    author

    snipped most of the thread. I find it quite amusing that my quest to
    get answers end up returning my own writing. Google really got it on
    the ball, or whatever. I guess they making money tho.
    But it don't help.
    and for the same reason."

    joevan, Feb 7, 2006