    therefore couldn't update my virus protector. How do I do this? nobody
    answered my pleas.

    Thanks
    molliepie, Nov 14, 2005

  2. molliepie

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 18:22:17 GMT, "molliepie" <>
    wrote:

    >I wrote on the 20th that I was having trouble updating my windows and
    >therefore couldn't update my virus protector. How do I do this? nobody
    >answered my pleas.

    Yeah, 3 people did. And this was actually 11/10:

    Here's your original message:

    I am having trouble downloading anything from windows update or
    updating my virus protector. How do I do this?

    Replies:

    You fix what the error says to fix.

    And only you know what that error is.

    And another:

    Got NIS running?

    And once again, you specified no details.
    Evan Platt, Nov 14, 2005

  3. molliepie

    Anthropy Guest

    wrote:

    >I wrote on the 20th that I was having trouble updating my windows and
    >therefore couldn't update my virus protector. How do I do this? nobody
    >answered my pleas.
    >
    >Thanks

    Need loads more info like what version of Windows are you using?, what
    AV (virus protection) are you using?
    If you're using a cracked copy of XP then you will not be able to get
    any updates as Microsoft won't allow updates for "compromised"
    machines.
    Do you notice any unusual behaviour from your machine, ie sluggish,
    crashing? etc
    What spyware progs are you running ? Do you have a firewall? if so
    which one?
    What happens when you try and get your updates, what messages are
    displayed?
    Have you checked the contents of your startup file ?
    You need to provide a lot more info then maybe someone will be able to
    help you on the other hand if the above is Chinese to you, maybe you
    should take it to a shop.
    Anthropy, Nov 14, 2005
  4. molliepie

    Brian Guest

    Tools > Manage Addons (in IE) > Find WINDOWS GENUINE ADVANTAGE VALIDATION
    TOOL and click DISABLE. Full windows update now works and authentication
    bypassed.

    Brian, Nov 14, 2005
  5. molliepie

    Mike Easter Guest

    molliepie wrote:
    > I wrote on the 20th that I was having trouble updating my windows and
    > therefore couldn't update my virus protector. How do I do this? nobody
    > answered my pleas.

    Your windows update manager should take you to the update place
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

    How you update your AV depends on which one it is. Most of them try to
    do it automatically.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Nov 14, 2005
  6. molliepie

    Anthropy Guest

    >"Anthropy" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 18:22:17 GMT, "molliepie" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I wrote on the 20th that I was having trouble updating my windows and
    >>>therefore couldn't update my virus protector. How do I do this? nobody
    >>>answered my pleas.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>

    >> Need loads more info like what version of Windows are you using?, what
    >> AV (virus protection) are you using?
    >> If you're using a cracked copy of XP then you will not be able to get
    >> any updates as Microsoft won't allow updates for "compromised"
    >> machines.
    >> Do you notice any unusual behaviour from your machine, ie sluggish,
    >> crashing? etc
    >> What spyware progs are you running ? Do you have a firewall? if so
    >> which one?
    >> What happens when you try and get your updates, what messages are
    >> displayed?
    >> Have you checked the contents of your startup file ?
    >> You need to provide a lot more info then maybe someone will be able to
    >> help you on the other hand if the above is Chinese to you, maybe you
    >> should take it to a shop.

    >On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 18:48:35 GMT, "Brian" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Tools > Manage Addons (in IE) > Find WINDOWS GENUINE ADVANTAGE VALIDATION
    >>TOOL and click DISABLE. Full windows update now works and authentication
    >>bypassed.

    I tried that. There was no entry for WINDOWS GENUINE ADVANTAGE
    VALIDATION TOOL in Tools> Manage Addons. Microsoft will not update my
    machine, says my serial is bogus. I didn't know, honest guv.
    Anthropy, Nov 14, 2005
  7. molliepie

    Trax Guest

    Anthropy <> wrote:

    |> I tried that. There was no entry for WINDOWS GENUINE ADVANTAGE
    |>VALIDATION TOOL in Tools> Manage Addons. Microsoft will not update my
    |>machine, says my serial is bogus. I didn't know, honest guv.

    Catch twenty two coming up...

    I don't have the option either, but I don't download any updates for
    I.E. or outlook - why ask for problems over something I don't use.

    Bet you need to update IE to have that option :)

    --
    http://urbanlegends.about.com/b/a/218350.htm#more
    Trax, Nov 14, 2005
  8. molliepie

    Trax Guest

    Trax, Nov 14, 2005
  9. molliepie

    Anthropy Guest

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 14:40:23 -0800, Trax <>
    wrote:

    >|> I tried that. There was no entry for WINDOWS GENUINE ADVANTAGE
    >|>VALIDATION TOOL in Tools> Manage Addons. Microsoft will not update my
    >|>machine, says my serial is bogus. I didn't know, honest guv.
    >
    >Catch twenty two coming up...
    >
    >I don't have the option either, but I don't download any updates for
    >I.E. or outlook - why ask for problems over something I don't use.

    Me neither. I certainly don't want the updated software as I use
    neither OE or IE except for getting updates and MSN sites that won't
    accept Opera. However I do want the patches for the OS especially
    those to do with security or newly discovered bugs in the OS and it
    seems a big mistake by Microsoft to deny those patches to even
    "compromised" machines as they become vulnerable to hijacking,
    hacking, spoofing etc, hence the mass of zombie machines

    >Bet you need to update IE to have that option :)

    Probably.
    Anthropy, Nov 14, 2005
  10. molliepie

    Anthropy Guest