Hello, Introducing Myself

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by unfunf, Nov 14, 2007.

  1. unfunf

    unfunf Guest

    Hello, I am a newbie to newsgroups, i have never really looked at these
    before ( out of all the years i've used a computer. ) Heh, aside from that i
    am very interested in what is going on here. But where do i start? i have
    work expierence in a IT enviroment ( sort've ). My job was more of computer
    repair, etc... I didn't have any certification's to do anything else, or so
    said my boss. aside from that i've some expierience in basic c\c++, perl,
    python, xhtml, css, photoshop. i'm not really a guru in either, i don't have
    the guidance to teach myself everything from of all the languages,
    i'm 21, currently planning to get into college to get my liberal arts degree
    so i can get them basics out of the way.
    and then to pursue a higher education in the CS / EE field, maybe having a
    few certifications under my belt would make my resume look more attractive.
    i've used unix / linux much of the time i learned alot about computers, i
    just can't really find it in myself to say hey yeah i can do this job and
    complete it. i wanna make sure that ican do the job before i start on it.
    half ass'in it sucks :< see ya all.

    Please excuse the crap grammar, i haven't been in school for a while.
    IRC seems to make things a tad bit worse <:

    unfunf, Nov 14, 2007

  2. unfunf

    Chris M Guest

    unfunf wrote:
    > Hello, I am a newbie to newsgroups, i have never really looked at these
    > before ( out of all the years i've used a computer. ) Heh, aside from
    > that i am very interested in what is going on here. But where do i
    > start? i have work expierence in a IT enviroment ( sort've ). My job was
    > more of computer repair, etc... I didn't have any certification's to do
    > anything else, or so said my boss. aside from that i've some expierience
    > in basic c\c++, perl, python, xhtml, css, photoshop. i'm not really a
    > guru in either, i don't have the guidance to teach myself everything
    > from of all the languages,
    > i'm 21, currently planning to get into college to get my liberal arts
    > degree so i can get them basics out of the way.
    > and then to pursue a higher education in the CS / EE field, maybe having
    > a few certifications under my belt would make my resume look more
    > attractive. i've used unix / linux much of the time i learned alot about
    > computers, i just can't really find it in myself to say hey yeah i can
    > do this job and complete it. i wanna make sure that ican do the job
    > before i start on it. half ass'in it sucks :< see ya all.

    You really need to decide what you want to do first, then you can choose
    your studies and certifications to match.

    No point in asking us to tell you what to do!

    > Please excuse the crap grammar, i haven't been in school for a while.
    > IRC seems to make things a tad bit worse <:

    OK, OK, I know this is only Usenet and you're not writing a novel here,
    but seriously, the ability to type correctly-formed sentences shouldn't
    be something that fades away just because you don't have a teacher
    looking over your shoulder. If that's what your English is like after 'a
    while' away from school, what will it look like after you've left and
    been working for a few years?

    Make sure you pay attention to detail when writing your resume. Bad
    spelling, punctuation or grammar on a resume gets it a first class
    ticket to the waste basket.

    --
    Chris M.

    Remove pants to email me.

    Chris M, Nov 14, 2007

  3. unfunf

    Network Guru Guest

    "unfunf" <> wrote in message
    > Hello, I am a newbie to newsgroups, i have never really looked at these
    > before ( out of all the years i've used a computer. ) Heh, aside from that
    > i am very interested in what is going on here. But where do i start? i
    > have work expierence in a IT enviroment ( sort've ). My job was more of
    > computer repair, etc... I didn't have any certification's to do anything
    > else, or so said my boss. aside from that i've some expierience in basic
    > c\c++, perl, python, xhtml, css, photoshop. i'm not really a guru in
    > either, i don't have the guidance to teach myself everything from of all
    > the languages,
    > i'm 21, currently planning to get into college to get my liberal arts
    > degree so i can get them basics out of the way.
    > and then to pursue a higher education in the CS / EE field, maybe having a
    > few certifications under my belt would make my resume look more
    > attractive. i've used unix / linux much of the time i learned alot about
    > computers, i just can't really find it in myself to say hey yeah i can do
    > this job and complete it. i wanna make sure that ican do the job before i
    > start on it. half ass'in it sucks :< see ya all.
    >
    > Please excuse the crap grammar, i haven't been in school for a while.
    > IRC seems to make things a tad bit worse <:

    Hello unfunf,

    My name is Network Guru. You state that you are 'not a guru in either'.
    Don't be modest, declare to the world that you are a guru in both. Heck, I
    did, hence the screen name of Network Guru. FYI, I am very well respected
    in this newsgroup and have contributed wisdom on a myriad of topics for 6+
    years. I am also the recipient of the prestigious LOTW award.

    Welcome aboard!

    Network Guru, Nov 15, 2007
  4. unfunf

    kpg* Guest

    "unfunf" <> wrote in

    Dear unfunf,

    First, you have a silly name. Second, why go for a Liberal
    Arts degree then pursue a CS something-or-other, Goto (sic)
    college and get a Computer Science Degree. You will still
    take plenty of Liberal Arts classes, trust me, but you'll
    also learn something you can make some money with.

    And while you're there, ignore all the liberal propaganda
    the professors trey to cram down your throat , except as
    needed to pass exams, then promptly forget it.

    Twenty years ago I took a required global environment class
    that predicted we would all be dead in 15 years. They even
    had charts and graphs. Talk about depressing, but as far
    as I can tell, they were wrong.

    This is the best advice you will ever receive and anyone
    that says different is either an idiot or a democrat.

    Oh wait...

    kpg*

    kpg*, Nov 16, 2007