    what is the difference between logical and conceptual
    database design
    , Jun 22, 2004

  2. In news: 1f78d01c45856$35861d30$,
    <> wrote:
    > does anybody know advanced database design.
    > what is the difference between logical and conceptual
    > database design

    Hi Erdsah,

    Conceptual design is a high-level overview of the problem and how to solve
    it. Logical design breaks the problem down into components and services.
    Neither specifies software or hardware.

    www.cindywinegarden.com
    Cindy Winegarden, Jun 22, 2004

  3. >does anybody know advanced database design.
    >what is the difference between logical and conceptual
    >database design

    To expand on what Cindy has already stated...

    A main part of the database conceptual design phase is to identify the
    data requirements for the business functions identified during
    analysis. From which a conceptual data model is developed (and
    refined) which includes the entities, attributes, relationships and
    business rules to support those functions.

    The refinement of the data model continues in the database logical
    design phase by identifying the supported transactions and database
    views required by the business functions. At the end of this stage, a
    stable well-defined database structure should have be proven and
    chosen.

    See Modern Database Management (6th Ed), Hoffer/Prescott/McFadden,
    which covers this in a great deal of detail.

    BTW, this hardly advanced, and 'should' be performed as part of
    systems analysis, with the output included in the deliverables, i.e.
    forming part of the functional specifications, which - once reviewed
    and accepted - feeds into the logical design.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jun 23, 2004