Hellboy Easter Egg & Oddities...

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Jordan Lund, Jul 28, 2004.

  1. Jordan Lund

    Jordan Lund Guest

    Picked up Hellboy last night (I know, I know, there's an extra special
    version coming in October, but this one seemed fully featured enough
    to justify it.)

    First, the easter egg... Press up on the remote until "Introduction"
    is highlighted then press up one more time. A hidden icon will
    highlight. Pick it and you'll get a clip of Del Toro complaining about
    the cue cards used for the introduction video. Pretty funny stuff...

    Now the weird stuff...

    On the commentary track both Del Toro and Mignola continually
    reference themselves in the 3rd person. I found that strange...

    In the special features there are a series of cartoons reccomended by
    Hellboy. The weird part is that these were apparently done in the 50s
    and not only had I never heard of them before, they are from UPA, a
    studio I've never heard of before.

    The style is the polar opposite of Hellboy, Gerald McBoing Boing is a
    kid who can't speak in words but goes "BOING BOING!" instead. The art
    style is similar to the classic "Harold and the Purple Crayon" and the
    writing style is closest to Dr. Seuss.
    The Tell Tale Heart is a wonderful bit of animation based, naturally,
    on the Poe story.

    Note to self: find out more about UPA animation...

    I'd have more to report, but it was late and I fell asleep during the
    commentary track. :^(

    - Jordan
    Jordan Lund, Jul 28, 2004

  2. "Jordan Lund" <> wrote in message
    > Picked up Hellboy last night (I know, I know, there's an extra special
    > version coming in October, but this one seemed fully featured enough
    > to justify it.)
    >
    > First, the easter egg... Press up on the remote until "Introduction"
    > is highlighted then press up one more time. A hidden icon will
    > highlight. Pick it and you'll get a clip of Del Toro complaining about
    > the cue cards used for the introduction video. Pretty funny stuff...
    >
    > Now the weird stuff...
    >
    > On the commentary track both Del Toro and Mignola continually
    > reference themselves in the 3rd person. I found that strange...
    >
    > In the special features there are a series of cartoons reccomended by
    > Hellboy. The weird part is that these were apparently done in the 50s
    > and not only had I never heard of them before, they are from UPA, a
    > studio I've never heard of before.
    >
    > The style is the polar opposite of Hellboy, Gerald McBoing Boing is a
    > kid who can't speak in words but goes "BOING BOING!" instead. The art
    > style is similar to the classic "Harold and the Purple Crayon" and the
    > writing style is closest to Dr. Seuss.
    > The Tell Tale Heart is a wonderful bit of animation based, naturally,
    > on the Poe story.
    >
    > Note to self: find out more about UPA animation...
    >
    > I'd have more to report, but it was late and I fell asleep during the
    > commentary track. :^(
    >
    > - Jordan

    I found another easter egg. It consisted of a series of what looked like
    index cards with quotes heard over the monitors during filming. But you
    know what? I'll be damned if I can find them again to tell you where they
    are. They were pretty damn funny. As is the one you discovered, thanks for
    the info.
    michael wheeler, Jul 28, 2004

  3. "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message
    > Jordan Lund wrote:
    >
    > > In the special features there are a series of cartoons reccomended by
    > > Hellboy. The weird part is that these were apparently done in the 50s
    > > and not only had I never heard of them before, they are from UPA, a
    > > studio I've never heard of before.
    > >
    > > The style is the polar opposite of Hellboy, Gerald McBoing Boing is a
    > > kid who can't speak in words but goes "BOING BOING!" instead. The art
    > > style is similar to the classic "Harold and the Purple Crayon" and the
    > > writing style is closest to Dr. Seuss.
    > > The Tell Tale Heart is a wonderful bit of animation based, naturally,
    > > on the Poe story.
    > >
    > > Note to self: find out more about UPA animation...

    > Hoho, by George--Obviously not a Rutgers man!
    >
    > <taps cash register>
    > Gad, this computer's been making strange noises again...
    >
    > Derek Janssen

    And can someone tell me what the hell is that little fairy looking thing on
    the set up menu? Scared the crap outta me
    michael wheeler, Jul 28, 2004

    Derek Janssen, Jul 28, 2004
  5. Jordan Lund wrote:
    > Picked up Hellboy last night.... n the special features there are a
    > series of cartoons reccomended by Hellboy. The weird part is that these
    > were apparently done in the 50s and not only had I never heard of them
    > before, they are from UPA, a studio I've never heard of before.

    Sadly, I may have to pick up _Hellboy_ (a film in which I have pretty close
    to no interest) just to get the cartoons: I've been hearing about Gerald
    McBoing-Boing since I was a child, and this seems as good an opportunity as
    any to see what I've been missing.

    doug

    --
    "Don't stay in a sad place where they don't care how you are..."
    --David Bowie
    Douglas Bailey, Jul 28, 2004
  6. Jordan Lund

    JMKAUFFMAN Guest

    >and the
    >writing style is closest to Dr. Seuss

    Check the credits--the original story *is* by Dr. Seuss! :)
    JMKAUFFMAN, Jul 28, 2004
  7. Jordan Lund wrote:

    > In the special features there are a series of cartoons reccomended by
    > Hellboy. The weird part is that these were apparently done in the 50s
    > and not only had I never heard of them before, they are from UPA, a
    > studio I've never heard of before.
    >
    > The style is the polar opposite of Hellboy, Gerald McBoing Boing is a
    > kid who can't speak in words but goes "BOING BOING!" instead. The art
    > style is similar to the classic "Harold and the Purple Crayon" and the
    > writing style is closest to Dr. Seuss.
    > The Tell Tale Heart is a wonderful bit of animation based, naturally,
    > on the Poe story.
    >
    > Note to self: find out more about UPA animation...

    [Translated version:]
    UPA's best known for giving Faith & John Hubley their start, but better
    known for the Mr. Magoo series.
    And del Toro mentioned in interviews he specifically slipped it into his
    contract that the UPA cartoons be included, since--as fellow DVD fan--he
    knew Sony was notoriously lax about getting the Columbia/UPA cartoons on
    tape *or* disk (apart from "Magoo's Christmas Carol", obviously).

    In an opening to one of the "classic" Mr. Magoo specials, Magoo parodies
    the more award-winning UPA shorts--
    As he's leading a "studio tour group" (a cat and three kittens), he
    finds his way to the First Aid medicine cabinet:
    "And here, as you can see, in this glass case, we keep the many Academy
    Awards that UPA has won over the years:
    (United Corn Plaster) Here's one for 'Unicorn in the Garden'...
    (Tick-Tock Heart Tonic) And for 'Tell-Tale Heart'...
    (General Bunion Remedy) And, of course, for 'Gerald McBoing-Boing'..."

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Jul 28, 2004
  8. Jordan Lund

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Jordan Lund wrote:

    > In the special features there are a series of cartoons reccomended by
    > Hellboy. The weird part is that these were apparently done in the 50s
    > and not only had I never heard of them before, they are from UPA, a
    > studio I've never heard of before.
    >
    > The style is the polar opposite of Hellboy, Gerald McBoing Boing is a
    > kid who can't speak in words but goes "BOING BOING!" instead. The art
    > style is similar to the classic "Harold and the Purple Crayon" and the
    > writing style is closest to Dr. Seuss.

    Just to note, "Gerald McBoing Boing" was in fact written by Dr. Suess. It's
    one of my kids' favorite books. :)

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, Jul 29, 2004
  9. Jordan Lund

    Rutgar Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 16:16:36 -0400, Douglas Bailey
    <> wrote:

    >Jordan Lund wrote:
    >> Picked up Hellboy last night.... n the special features there are a
    >> series of cartoons reccomended by Hellboy. The weird part is that these
    >> were apparently done in the 50s and not only had I never heard of them
    >> before, they are from UPA, a studio I've never heard of before.

    >Sadly, I may have to pick up _Hellboy_ (a film in which I have pretty close
    >to no interest) just to get the cartoons: I've been hearing about Gerald
    >McBoing-Boing since I was a child, and this seems as good an opportunity as
    >any to see what I've been missing.
    >
    >doug

    Save your money. I wish I had. Just watched it last night.

    What an awful movie.

    - Rutgar
    Rutgar, Aug 1, 2004
  10. Jordan Lund

    Jordan Lund Guest

    "michael wheeler" <> wrote in message news:<KUSNc.885$>...

    > I found another easter egg. It consisted of a series of what looked like
    > index cards with quotes heard over the monitors during filming. But you
    > know what? I'll be damned if I can find them again to tell you where they
    > are. They were pretty damn funny. As is the one you discovered, thanks for
    > the info.

    That was hilarious, wasn't it? It's in the special features menu,
    highlight main menu and press "Down" on the remote. The same little
    icon that showed the easter egg on the first menu will highlight.

    - Jordan
    Jordan Lund, Aug 2, 2004