    "deleted" scenes on disc 2 are unfortunately all in the new cut with minor
    variations. Also, the HiDef transfer isn't that great.

    T.B.

    TB, Oct 17, 2004

  2. Is this the 3 disc set?

    John339077353, Oct 17, 2004

  3. TB

    TB Guest

    "John339077353" wrote:

    > Is this the 3 disc set?

    Yes.

    T.B.

    TB, Oct 17, 2004
  4. >Subject: Re: Hellboy Director's Cut
    >From: "TB"
    >Date: 10/17/2004 6:09 PM Eastern Standard Time
    >
    >"John339077353" wrote:
    >
    >> Is this the 3 disc set?

    >Yes.
    >
    >T.B.

    Thank you

    John339077353, Oct 18, 2004
  5. TB

    Zimmy Guest

    Thanks for the info.
    It really shows the crater left behind by DVDFile going in the crapper.
    They would have had an extensive review of this a month ago.
    Here it is a day before release and yours is the first I have heard about
    it.

    Zimmy, Oct 18, 2004
  6. TB

    TSKO Guest

    "TB" <> wrote in message
    >I just got through watching the Hellboy Director's cut and I have to say
    > it's a bit disappointing. I was expecting (hoping) for a much more
    > different
    > version then what's basically about 3 or 4 short added scenes, most of
    > which
    > do not improve on the original edit although the scene which basically
    > explains why "Rasputin" wears sunglasses was a nice addition. The three
    > "deleted" scenes on disc 2 are unfortunately all in the new cut with minor
    > variations. Also, the HiDef transfer isn't that great.
    >
    > T.B.

    I happened to like the movie...thought it was 'fun'. Wasnt the new version
    supposed to be like 20 minutes longer??

    TSKO, Oct 18, 2004
  7. TB

    TB Guest

    "TSKO" wrote:

    (snip)

    > I happened to like the movie...thought it was 'fun'. Wasnt the new

    version
    > supposed to be like 20 minutes longer??

    I really, really liked the movie as well. However, I was let down by the
    fact that the new version of the movie isn't a drastic, expanded version ala
    the Lord of the Rings version or the various versions of Close Encounters of
    the Third Kind.

    The biggest "addition" to the the plot is a couple of short scenes that go
    into Rasputin's "eyes" which explains why he wore sunglasses for a
    practical, not cosmetic reason through most of the movie. One obnoxious
    scene with two key characters riding in a taxi could have been left on the
    cutting room floor, imo as it disrupts the mood of what had just happened in
    a previous sequence. Basically, I'd guess the movie is less then 10 minutes
    longer.

    Also, it could have easily been a 2 disc set, not 3. Including several
    slightly longer or different edits of the "new" scenes as "deleted" scenes
    and shoving a boatload of trailers for upcoming releases on the 2nd bonus
    disc pissed me off.

    T.B.

    TB, Oct 18, 2004
  8. TB

    TSKO Guest

    "TB" <> wrote in message
    > "TSKO" wrote:
    >
    > (snip)
    >
    >> I happened to like the movie...thought it was 'fun'. Wasnt the new

    > version
    >> supposed to be like 20 minutes longer??

    > I really, really liked the movie as well. However, I was let down by the
    > fact that the new version of the movie isn't a drastic, expanded version
    > ala
    > the Lord of the Rings version or the various versions of Close Encounters
    > of
    > the Third Kind.
    >
    > The biggest "addition" to the the plot is a couple of short scenes that go
    > into Rasputin's "eyes" which explains why he wore sunglasses for a
    > practical, not cosmetic reason through most of the movie. One obnoxious
    > scene with two key characters riding in a taxi could have been left on the
    > cutting room floor, imo as it disrupts the mood of what had just happened
    > in
    > a previous sequence. Basically, I'd guess the movie is less then 10
    > minutes
    > longer.
    >
    > Also, it could have easily been a 2 disc set, not 3. Including several
    > slightly longer or different edits of the "new" scenes as "deleted" scenes
    > and shoving a boatload of trailers for upcoming releases on the 2nd bonus
    > disc pissed me off.
    >
    > T.B.

    Well, you just sort of cliched it for me....I was all set to buy it, but I
    dont think I will now. Money saved

    TSKO, Oct 18, 2004
  9. TB

    TrevorS Guest

    "TB" <> wrote in message news:<MwVcd.16882$>...
    > "TSKO" wrote:
    >
    > (snip)
    >
    > > I happened to like the movie...thought it was 'fun'. Wasnt the new

    > version
    > > supposed to be like 20 minutes longer??

    > I really, really liked the movie as well. However, I was let down by the
    > fact that the new version of the movie isn't a drastic, expanded version ala
    > the Lord of the Rings version or the various versions of Close Encounters of
    > the Third Kind.

    Probem with the typical "Director's Cut" is they're usually just a
    reinsertion of the clips that were wisely left on the cutting room
    floor. The Lord Of The Rings trilogy was different in that they were
    deliberately shot for the full script and then sliced for a standard
    run time for the short attention span masses.

    There's a real back story with the multiple editions of Close
    Encounters. The theatrical version was heavily crunched by the studio
    for an "acceptable" run time. The director was supposedly not at all
    happy with the result - however the audience loved it. (Personally,
    there are scenes in that first release that should not have been
    discarded in my opinion -- they helped continuity -- but clearly
    Spielberg felt otherwise.)

    The "extended" release was largely on the director's insistance and
    the box office strength, though the studio kept its oar in by
    requiring the extended spaceship interior shots at the end.
    Consequently, Spielberg ended up doing it one more time and this time
    withut anyone looking over his shoulder. That was the "director's
    cut" release. Unfortunately, I still think the first was the best
    since it incuded scenes that I consider important to making sense of
    the movie.

    The only purpose of most "Director's Cut" releases is to bring in the
    cash one more time.

    TrevorS, Oct 19, 2004