Hell Officially Freezes Over

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 7, 2005.

  1. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 7, 2005

  2. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > It's official: Apple is moving to Intel CPUs
    > <http://news.com.com/Apple shakes hands with Intel/2009-1006_3-5733937.ht
    > ml>.
    >
    > Thoughts, anyone? I think the days of anyone being able to make money
    > from built-up PCs are drawing to a close.

    Anyone else find it odd that Mac are moving to x86/x86-64 and Microsoft
    are moving to Power?
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 7, 2005

  3. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    AD. Guest

    AD., Jun 7, 2005
  4. In article <>,
    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:

    >Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >> It's official: Apple is moving to Intel CPUs
    >> <http://news.com.com/Apple shakes hands with Intel/2009-1006_3-5733937.ht
    >> ml>.
    >>
    >> Thoughts, anyone? I think the days of anyone being able to make money
    >> from built-up PCs are drawing to a close.

    >Anyone else find it odd that Mac are moving to x86/x86-64 and Microsoft
    >are moving to Power?

    I think Microsoft are making their move to make it harder for hackers to
    turn their consoles into cheap Microsoft-compatible PCs.

    Apple's move makes sense in terms of continuing the trend they started
    with the Mac Mini: I can see them bringing out bare-bones Macs in
    future, where you put in your own choice of CPU, RAM, hard drive,
    optical drive etc, à la Shuttle.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 7, 2005
  5. Hi there,

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:
    >

    >>Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>>It's official: Apple is moving to Intel CPUs
    >>><http://news.com.com/Apple shakes hands with Intel/2009-1006_3-5733937.ht
    >>>ml>.
    >>>
    >>>Thoughts, anyone? I think the days of anyone being able to make money
    >>>from built-up PCs are drawing to a close.

    >>Anyone else find it odd that Mac are moving to x86/x86-64 and Microsoft
    >>are moving to Power?

    > I think Microsoft are making their move to make it harder for hackers to
    > turn their consoles into cheap Microsoft-compatible PCs.

    Yellow dog Linux would possibly not take much tweaking to get
    working on XBox 360 then...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Jun 7, 2005
  6. In article <42a5045b$>,
    Chris Wilkinson <> wrote:

    >Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In article <>,

    >>>Anyone else find it odd that Mac are moving to x86/x86-64 and Microsoft
    >>>are moving to Power?

    >> I think Microsoft are making their move to make it harder for hackers to
    >> turn their consoles into cheap Microsoft-compatible PCs.

    >Yellow dog Linux would possibly not take much tweaking to get
    >working on XBox 360 then...

    True, but Microsoft are probably less worried about that than about the
    possibility of somebody running a full-function copy of XP, say.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 7, 2005
  7. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    steve Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    > It's official: Apple is moving to Intel CPUs
    > <http://news.com.com/Apple shakes hands with Intel/2009-1006_3-5733937.ht
    > ml>.
    >
    > Thoughts, anyone? I think the days of anyone being able to make money
    > from built-up PCs are drawing to a close.

    The Apple OS (Mac OSX) won't run on any Intel box. You'll still need to run
    an Apple Box......assuming no one comes out with an after-market mod for
    regular PCs to allow them to run Mac OSX.

    In the US, the DMCA will probably kill off such options but folks elsewhere
    may not be similarly restricted.
    steve, Jun 7, 2005
  8. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    steve Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >> It's official: Apple is moving to Intel CPUs
    >> <http://news.com.com/Apple shakes hands with Intel/2009-1006_3-5733937.ht
    >> ml>.
    >>
    >> Thoughts, anyone? I think the days of anyone being able to make money
    >> from built-up PCs are drawing to a close.

    > Anyone else find it odd that Mac are moving to x86/x86-64 and Microsoft
    > are moving to Power?

    Intel also added DRM to their CPUs.....and Power isn't / hasn't.

    Wasn't the MS move to Power for the Xbox only?
    steve, Jun 7, 2005
  9. In article <>,
    steve <> wrote:

    >Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> It's official: Apple is moving to Intel CPUs
    >> <http://news.com.com/Apple shakes hands with Intel/2009-1006_3-5733937.ht
    >> ml>.
    >>
    >> Thoughts, anyone? I think the days of anyone being able to make money
    >> from built-up PCs are drawing to a close.

    >The Apple OS (Mac OSX) won't run on any Intel box. You'll still need to run
    >an Apple Box......

    I'm expecting that that will inevitably have to change, under the
    pressure of the same market forces that forced Apple to embrace x86 in
    the first place.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 7, 2005
  10. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Rob J Guest

    In article <> in nz.comp on Tue,
    07 Jun 2005 12:58:58 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <ldo@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> says...
    > It's official: Apple is moving to Intel CPUs
    > <http://news.com.com/Apple shakes hands with Intel/2009-1006_3-5733937.ht
    > ml>.
    >
    > Thoughts, anyone? I think the days of anyone being able to make money
    > from built-up PCs are drawing to a close.

    The days of proprietary hardware architectures may be drawing to a close.
    Apple would still be wise to lock down the hardware of their machine,
    though, if they want to maintain the obvious advantages that the Mac
    platform has over PC.
    Rob J, Jun 8, 2005
  11. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Rob J Guest

    In article <> in nz.comp on Tue, 07 Jun 2005
    21:08:23 +1200, steve <> says...
    > Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    > > It's official: Apple is moving to Intel CPUs
    > > <http://news.com.com/Apple shakes hands with Intel/2009-1006_3-5733937.ht
    > > ml>.
    > >
    > > Thoughts, anyone? I think the days of anyone being able to make money
    > > from built-up PCs are drawing to a close.

    > The Apple OS (Mac OSX) won't run on any Intel box. You'll still need to run
    > an Apple Box......assuming no one comes out with an after-market mod for
    > regular PCs to allow them to run Mac OSX.

    Wrong.

    OSX has been developed from day 1 on both Intel and PowerPC.
    Rob J, Jun 8, 2005
  12. Rob J wrote:
    >>It's official: Apple is moving to Intel CPUs
    >><http://news.com.com/Apple shakes hands with Intel/2009-1006_3-5733937.ht
    >>ml>.
    >>Thoughts, anyone? I think the days of anyone being able to make money
    >>from built-up PCs are drawing to a close.

    > The days of proprietary hardware architectures may be drawing to a close.
    > Apple would still be wise to lock down the hardware of their machine,
    > though, if they want to maintain the obvious advantages that the Mac
    > platform has over PC.

    form the quotes I have seen from the mac tech show, it will still be
    lockeddown so that Mac OSX(?) will only install on the mac hardware, not
    a barebones x86-64 box.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 8, 2005
  13. Rob J wrote:
    >>The Apple OS (Mac OSX) won't run on any Intel box. You'll still need to run
    >>an Apple Box......assuming no one comes out with an after-market mod for
    >>regular PCs to allow them to run Mac OSX.

    > Wrong.
    > OSX has been developed from day 1 on both Intel and PowerPC.

    ahhh, nope, you're wrong, at the launch of it, they said that you will
    still need Apple hardware, so it would appear that they're not
    bog-standard x86-64 boxes.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 8, 2005
  14. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 13:48:19 +1200, Rob J wrote:

    > Apple would still be wise to lock down the hardware of their machine,
    > though, if they want to maintain the obvious advantages that the Mac
    > platform has over PC.

    What advantages?

    Bling Bling

    Bling-Bling, Jun 8, 2005
  15. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <pan.2005.06.08.02.16.38.565878@TRACKER>,
    Bling-Bling <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 13:48:19 +1200, Rob J wrote:
    >
    > > Apple would still be wise to lock down the hardware of their machine,
    > > though, if they want to maintain the obvious advantages that the Mac
    > > platform has over PC.

    > What advantages?

    Oh, minor details such as laptops with a sleep function that actually
    works, including not only your basic function of it going to sleep and
    then waking up, but also things such as sound and wifi and so forth
    actually working afterwards.

    "it just works", in other words.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
    Bruce Hoult, Jun 8, 2005
  16. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 14:33:38 +1200, Bruce Hoult wrote:

    >> > Apple would still be wise to lock down the hardware of their machine,
    >> > though, if they want to maintain the obvious advantages that the Mac
    >> > platform has over PC.

    >> What advantages?

    > Oh, minor details such as laptops with a sleep function that actually
    > works, including not only your basic function of it going to sleep and
    > then waking up, but also things such as sound and wifi and so forth
    > actually working afterwards.
    >
    > "it just works", in other words.

    Ah. That doesn't sound like a hardware platform issue. sounds more like a
    software bug issue to me.

    I agree - well written software should just work.

    Bling Bling

    Bling-Bling, Jun 8, 2005
  17. In <pan.2005.06.08.02.16.38.565878@TRACKER> Bling-Bling wrote:

    > On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 13:48:19 +1200, Rob J wrote:

    >> Apple would still be wise to lock down the hardware of their machine,
    >> though, if they want to maintain the obvious advantages that the Mac
    >> platform has over PC.

    > What advantages?

    A simple and intuitive user interface, good security, and easy
    maintenance.

    Of course, it has its disadvantages also, but it's not hard to see why
    people are drawn to the Macintosh platform.

    --
    Regards, Alastair.
    Wellington, New Zealand

    My supplied email address is fake. Any views expressed in this posting
    are personal and its content remains the property of Alastair. Alastair
    accepts no responsibility for any misinformation resulting from this
    posting.
    Alastair McAllister, Jun 8, 2005
  18. In <> Lawrence D¹Oliveiro
    wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > steve <> wrote:

    >>The Apple OS (Mac OSX) won't run on any Intel box. You'll still need
    >>to run an Apple Box......

    > I'm expecting that that will inevitably have to change, under the
    > pressure of the same market forces that forced Apple to embrace x86 in
    > the first place.

    So you think that a supplier's inability to produce a suffiently
    advanced component will result in Apple opening up OS X to all PC users?

    Alastair McAllister, Jun 8, 2005
  19. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 15:28:41 +1200, Alastair McAllister wrote:

    >>> Apple would still be wise to lock down the hardware of their machine,
    >>> though, if they want to maintain the obvious advantages that the Mac
    >>> platform has over PC.

    >> What advantages?

    > A simple and intuitive user interface, good security, and easy
    > maintenance.

    Firstly, doesn't the Gnome desktop have a very similar user interface to
    that of the Mac?

    Secondly, I read somewhere that the Mac platform was not a secure platform
    - it being easy to do stuff that shouldn't be done. (aparently)

    And with a good internet connection, it is very easy indeed to maintain
    both Linux (depending on distro) and Windows boxen.

    So I ask it again, what specific and clear *advantage* does the Mac
    platform have over other platforms?

    Bling Bling

    Bling-Bling, Jun 8, 2005
  20. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    H.O.G Guest

    On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 16:19:44 +1200, Bling-Bling
    <> spoke these fine words:

    >>> What advantages?

    >> A simple and intuitive user interface, good security, and easy
    >> maintenance.

    >Firstly, doesn't the Gnome desktop have a very similar user interface to
    >that of the Mac?
    >
    >Secondly, I read somewhere that the Mac platform was not a secure platform
    >- it being easy to do stuff that shouldn't be done. (aparently)
    >
    >And with a good internet connection, it is very easy indeed to maintain
    >both Linux (depending on distro) and Windows boxen.
    >
    >So I ask it again, what specific and clear *advantage* does the Mac
    >platform have over other platforms?

    They look "pretty".

    That is why something like 85% of mac users are women. Fact.
    H.O.G, Jun 8, 2005