Height Elevation Data

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rupert, Jul 20, 2004.

  1. Rupert

    Rupert Guest

    Folks,
    For those with a passing interest in GIS, 3D landscape generation etc NASA
    has now finished publishing the entire world's ( well most of it anyhow )
    height data in around 90m resolution ( 1 arc second )

    ftp://edcsgs9.cr.usgs.gov/pub/data/srtm/ We are part of the islands
    dataset - just download the data according to lat/long it's pretty obvious
    how to read the file names!

    You'll obviously need something to view the data with, try 3dem or the
    OziExplorer 3d package from www.oziexplorer.com

    For some great 3D models drape one of the full color orthophotos from
    www.linz.govt.nz over the data - Egmont looks particularly good!

    While LINZ does do 20m data, it does cost - hence this stuff being so
    appealing!

    Enjoy!

    Rupert, Jul 20, 2004

  2. Rupert

    JedMeister Guest

    why does the linz stuff cost? Didn't I pay for this with my tax dollars?

    JedMeister, Jul 20, 2004

  3. Rupert

    K T T Guest

    Rupert wrote:
    > Folks,
    > For those with a passing interest in GIS, 3D landscape generation etc NASA
    > has now finished publishing the entire world's ( well most of it anyhow )
    > height data in around 90m resolution ( 1 arc second )
    >
    > ftp://edcsgs9.cr.usgs.gov/pub/data/srtm/ We are part of the islands
    > dataset - just download the data according to lat/long it's pretty obvious
    > how to read the file names!
    >
    > You'll obviously need something to view the data with, try 3dem or the
    > OziExplorer 3d package from www.oziexplorer.com
    >
    > For some great 3D models drape one of the full color orthophotos from
    > www.linz.govt.nz over the data - Egmont looks particularly good!
    >
    > While LINZ does do 20m data, it does cost - hence this stuff being so
    > appealing!
    >
    > Enjoy!

    thanks

    K T T, Jul 20, 2004
  4. Rupert

    Rupert Guest

    who knows, though they are getting better at distributing data - orthophotos
    and have the NZ Topo series on line in a GIS viewer - you can down load
    ArcInfo data from that including contour lines, though the limit the area of
    download - due to size issues, however any good GIS package will be able to
    tie the line together.

    Rupert, Jul 20, 2004
  5. Rupert

    Robin Corn Guest

    For those who have MS flight simulator 2002 or 2004, this data has now been
    converted into a medium resolution elevation mesh. There are a few weird
    faults, which I guess come down to the way the data is obtained. Milford
    Sound is an example.
    I've reviewed this mesh on my flightsim site:
    www.windowlight.co.nz

    Robin Corn, Jul 21, 2004
  6. Rupert

    Rupert Guest

    yeah i have found some weird stuff - some long trenches near auckland
    airport and also near mt egmont.

    Rupert, Jul 21, 2004
  7. Hi there,

    JedMeister wrote:
    > why does the linz stuff cost? Didn't I pay for this with my tax dollars?

    Yes, data down to finer detail than 90m is available free for the entire
    US of A...not for here sadly....

    > "Rupert" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Folks,
    >>For those with a passing interest in GIS, 3D landscape generation etc NASA
    >>has now finished publishing the entire world's ( well most of it anyhow )
    >>height data in around 90m resolution ( 1 arc second )

    I'm surprised that even the 90m data was released for NZ...I once
    wanted 25m data for Banks Peninsula, to generate a nice height_field
    for use in POV-raytrace, but that would have cost around $100 to cover
    a 70x70 km square area...

    Is there a nice GIS software or utility that can take DEM data and
    spit out greyscale height-maps in bitmap form?

    --
    Kind regards,

    Canterbury Horse Taxis. http://www.horsetaxis.co.nz/

    Chris Wilkinson, Jul 22, 2004