    well it made me laugh.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 22, 2005

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    steve Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > last week a certain large institution blocked emails from us because of
    > receiving a few virus/worms etc... over the weekend their network got
    > owned by zotob/whatever_it_is_called.
    >
    > well it made me laugh.

    While in Canada recently I moved my mother, sister and younger brother to
    Xandros Linux 3.0.

    They have all said they really like it and didn't realise Linux was so easy
    to use.

    They especially like not having to worry about viruses and spyware.
    steve, Aug 22, 2005

  3. On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 22:54:37 +1200,
    "" <Waylon Kenning> wrote:

    >Xandros Linux 2.0 and 3.0 are awesome, man, that linux installation
    >blows me away. Seriously easy to setup, could easily give Windows a
    >run for it's money in the home market I believe.

    There has to be more to an os then an easy install to win the home
    market...
    John in Surrey, Aug 23, 2005
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    steve Guest

    wrote:
    > On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:49:03 +1200, steve
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>While in Canada recently I moved my mother, sister and younger brother to
    >>Xandros Linux 3.0.
    >>
    >>They have all said they really like it and didn't realise Linux was so easy
    >>to use.
    >>
    >>They especially like not having to worry about viruses and spyware.

    > Xandros Linux 2.0 and 3.0 are awesome, man, that linux installation
    > blows me away. Seriously easy to setup, could easily give Windows a
    > run for it's money in the home market I believe.

    ....and Xandros 3.0 with SP2 and Kernel 2.6.11 now recognises all my
    wireless gear without me having to compile modules or use ndiswrapper.

    That was the last link in the hardware chain that neded to be closed.
    steve, Aug 23, 2005
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    steve Guest

    John in Surrey wrote:
    > On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 22:54:37 +1200,
    > "" <Waylon Kenning> wrote:
    >

    >>Xandros Linux 2.0 and 3.0 are awesome, man, that linux installation
    >>blows me away. Seriously easy to setup, could easily give Windows a
    >>run for it's money in the home market I believe.

    > There has to be more to an os then an easy install to win the home
    > market...

    You need to have a look at Xandros 3.0.

    It's an elegant and comprehensive answer to the point you make.
    steve, Aug 23, 2005
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Guest

    <> wrote:

    >While in Canada recently I moved my mother, sister and younger brother to
    >Xandros Linux 3.0.
    >
    >They have all said they really like it and didn't realise Linux was so easy
    >to use.
    >
    >They especially like not having to worry about viruses and spyware.

    Xandros Linux 2.0 and 3.0 are awesome, man, that linux installation
    blows me away. Seriously easy to setup, could easily give Windows a
    run for it's money in the home market I believe.
    , Aug 23, 2005
  7. steve wrote:
    >> Xandros Linux 2.0 and 3.0 are awesome, man, that linux installation
    >> blows me away. Seriously easy to setup, could easily give Windows a
    >> run for it's money in the home market I believe.

    > ....and Xandros 3.0 with SP2 and Kernel 2.6.11 now recognises all my
    > wireless gear without me having to compile modules or use ndiswrapper.
    > That was the last link in the hardware chain that neded to be closed.

    might have to give it a go again...
    My problem last time was that it didn't support my wifi card, or my
    modem, my two ways of accessing the net.

    If it supports my wifi now, I'll be stoked.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 23, 2005
  8. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    steve Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >
    >>> Xandros Linux 2.0 and 3.0 are awesome, man, that linux installation
    >>> blows me away. Seriously easy to setup, could easily give Windows a
    >>> run for it's money in the home market I believe.

    >> ....and Xandros 3.0 with SP2 and Kernel 2.6.11 now recognises all my
    >> wireless gear without me having to compile modules or use ndiswrapper.
    >> That was the last link in the hardware chain that neded to be closed.

    > might have to give it a go again...
    > My problem last time was that it didn't support my wifi card, or my
    > modem, my two ways of accessing the net.
    >
    > If it supports my wifi now, I'll be stoked.

    I did a Xandros 3.0 install and then applied all the updates over an
    ethernet card / cable connection.

    Then once kernel 2.6.11 was installed, I shutdown, removed the ethernet
    card and rebooted. The DSE 802.11b wireless card (RaLink RT2400 chipset)
    was recognised and I was able to easily configure it via Xandros Control
    Center (sic). It was then online without a reboot.

    The 2.6.11 kernel also appears to support the Prism2-USB 802.11g wifi
    adaptors. I have one of those, too....and will try it out when i get a mo'.

    The DSE 802.11g PCI cards are based on the Realtek 8151 chipset....and
    that isn't yet supported.

    Any card with an RaLink RT2500 chipset (802.11g) should also be
    supported by 2.6.11.
    steve, Aug 25, 2005
  9. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Guest

    On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 07:41:24 +0000 (UTC), John in Surrey
    <> wrote:

    >>Xandros Linux 2.0 and 3.0 are awesome, man, that linux installation
    >>blows me away. Seriously easy to setup, could easily give Windows a
    >>run for it's money in the home market I believe.

    >There has to be more to an os then an easy install to win the home
    >market...

    It's all easy. The installation of new software is super smooth.
    Nearly like Linspire really. Xandros comes with Xandros Networks. You
    browse through their server for software to install, click install, it
    downloads and installs it. You don't even need to know the name of the
    software, just what it does. Like Microsoft Update, but not just for
    Microsoft software.

    I believe if people saw Linspire or Xandros vs Windows, half the
    people would pick Xandros, and the other half would pick Windows. It
    really all depends on who has the better marketing IMHO, the software
    is equally as good as each other.
    , Aug 25, 2005