    broadband that the USA has. Two megs is not broadband, he said. Fifty
    megs is broadband."

    2Mbit isn't broadband... ok then.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 1, 2005

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Evil Bastard Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > "Barrett said the introduction of WiMAX would get rid of the half assed
    > broadband that the USA has. Two megs is not broadband, he said. Fifty
    > megs is broadband."
    >
    > 2Mbit isn't broadband... ok then.

    Users today are so utterly spoiled.

    Back in my day, we had 9k6 - on a good day, we could sometimes use 19k2
    - LOOXURY!

    Before that, I can remember when anything over 1k2 was 'broadband'.

    --
    Cheers
    EB

    Evil Bastard, Mar 1, 2005

  3. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    JedMeister Guest

    > "Barrett said the introduction of WiMAX would get rid of the half assed
    > broadband that the USA has. Two megs is not broadband, he said. Fifty megs
    > is broadband."
    >
    > 2Mbit isn't broadband... ok then.

    They need new new name for fast broadband then. Cos, it is bizarre to lump
    a 2Mbit connection in the same group as dialup modems.

    JedMeister, Mar 1, 2005
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 12:35:49 +1300, Evil Bastard wrote:

    > Users today are so utterly spoiled.
    >
    > Back in my day, we had 9k6 - on a good day, we could sometimes use 19k2 -
    > LOOXURY!
    >
    > Before that, I can remember when anything over 1k2 was 'broadband'.

    And packets had to go upstream BOTH WAYS! And in the snow!

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Mar 1, 2005
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    SchoolTech Guest

    In article <4224fcfd$1_2@127.0.0.1> in nz.comp on Wed, 02 Mar 2005
    12:35:49 +1300, Evil Bastard <> says...
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > > "Barrett said the introduction of WiMAX would get rid of the half assed
    > > broadband that the USA has. Two megs is not broadband, he said. Fifty
    > > megs is broadband."
    > >
    > > 2Mbit isn't broadband... ok then.

    > Users today are so utterly spoiled.
    >
    > Back in my day, we had 9k6 - on a good day, we could sometimes use 19k2
    > - LOOXURY!

    I've still got a 14400 modem lying around, it was in regular use until a
    year back.

    SchoolTech, Mar 1, 2005
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Guest

    On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 12:36:25 +1300, JedMeister wrote:

    > They need new new name for fast broadband then. Cos, it is bizarre to lump
    > a 2Mbit connection in the same group as dialup modems.

    OK.

    "Dialup"

    "Partial Broadband"

    "Full Speed Broadband".

    Lets call the 2Mbit service what it is - not true full speed uncapped
    broadband.

    Divine

    --
    Computers are like air conditioners -- they stop working properly if you
    open WINDOWS

    , Mar 3, 2005
  7. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <4224fcfd$1_2@127.0.0.1>, Evil Bastard <>
    wrote:

    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > > "Barrett said the introduction of WiMAX would get rid of the half assed
    > > broadband that the USA has. Two megs is not broadband, he said. Fifty
    > > megs is broadband."
    > >
    > > 2Mbit isn't broadband... ok then.

    > Users today are so utterly spoiled.
    >
    > Back in my day, we had 9k6 - on a good day, we could sometimes use 19k2
    > - LOOXURY!

    Gosh. I seem to recall when NZ's entire internet connection to the
    world was a single 9k6 link from Waikato University to NASA. That was
    about the time in the early 90's when my use of the internet was to
    telnet from Actrix to the "BIX" bbs in the USA.

    I also seem to recall a point at which the price for international
    traffic dropped from $50/MB to $30/MB.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

    Bruce Hoult, Mar 4, 2005