    I introduced him to compression, and he has since emailed the 60MB email
    to his collegue.

    File attachment size limits have now been introduced.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 3, 2004

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Brendan Guest

    On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 14:48:06 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > It appears that one user decided that he was going to email the guy next
    > to him, 1GB of files... an AVI of some sort.

    Yeah, porn is a bastard to email ;)

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Man is ready to die for an idea, provided that idea is not quite clear to him." -- Paul Eldridge

    Note: All my comments are copyright 3/12/2004 2:51:08 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Dec 3, 2004

  3. Brendan wrote:
    >>It appears that one user decided that he was going to email the guy next
    >>to him, 1GB of files... an AVI of some sort.

    > Yeah, porn is a bastard to email ;)

    I've burned it to CD... it was security videos.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 3, 2004
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Brendan Guest

    On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 15:04:31 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >> Yeah, porn is a bastard to email ;)

    > I've burned it to CD... it was security videos.

    If anyone wants to see them they can't because it's all "confidential"!
    Brilliant! You're bound to get away with it Dave.

    --

    .... Brendan

    PATRIOT, n. One to whom the interests of a part seem superior to those of the whole. The dupe of statesmen and the tool of conquerors. -- Ambrose Bierce

    Note: All my comments are copyright 3/12/2004 3:18:47 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Dec 3, 2004
  5. Brendan wrote:
    >>>Yeah, porn is a bastard to email ;)

    >>I've burned it to CD... it was security videos.

    > If anyone wants to see them they can't because it's all "confidential"!
    > Brilliant! You're bound to get away with it Dave.

    well see, thats the thing, it was only an example... they were trying to
    show some visiting staff that they could email videos round... heh...

    They're going to use a shared network share(drive) to do it from now on.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 3, 2004
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Bull Guest

    > > It appears that one user decided that he was going to email the guy next
    > > to him, 1GB of files... an AVI of some sort.

    > Yeah, porn is a bastard to email ;)

    How can you compress 1GB of Video to 60MB ??? You must
    have resampled it to a low res and frame size ? ZIPing wouldn't
    make a smaller file. AVI and MPG are already pretty close to
    the smallest already aren't they ??

    Bull, Dec 3, 2004
  7. Bull wrote:
    >>>It appears that one user decided that he was going to email the guy next
    >>>to him, 1GB of files... an AVI of some sort.

    >>Yeah, porn is a bastard to email ;)

    > How can you compress 1GB of Video to 60MB ??? You must
    > have resampled it to a low res and frame size ? ZIPing wouldn't
    > make a smaller file. AVI and MPG are already pretty close to
    > the smallest already aren't they ??

    the file was 4fps but records at 24fps so 6 frames have exactly the same
    thing, when it encodes it seems to make it small as.

    The email was 1GB... the file was actually only 700MB.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 3, 2004
  8. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 15:48:15 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > well see, thats the thing, it was only an example... they were trying to
    > show some visiting staff that they could email videos round... heh...
    >
    > They're going to use a shared network share(drive) to do it from now on.

    And which Company is this we are reading about?

    In the days of lean mean and efficient, mailing (large) binary files does
    not cut it.

    Gordon, Dec 3, 2004
  9. Gordon wrote:
    >>well see, thats the thing, it was only an example... they were trying to
    >>show some visiting staff that they could email videos round... heh...
    >>They're going to use a shared network share(drive) to do it from now on.

    > And which Company is this we are reading about?

    The one I work for...

    > In the days of lean mean and efficient, mailing (large) binary files does
    > not cut it.

    indeed... thats what network shares are for... well, one of the purposes.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 3, 2004
  10. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Brendan Guest

    On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 15:48:15 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >> If anyone wants to see them they can't because it's all "confidential"!
    >> Brilliant! You're bound to get away with it Dave.

    > well see, thats the thing, it was only an example... they were trying to
    > show some visiting staff that they could email videos round... heh...

    And they got ahold of your "security" video's ? Gezus that could have been
    funny. Is it the one with the two lesbians ? ;)

    > They're going to use a shared network share(drive) to do it from now on.

    Much more sensible.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "... it is important to realize that any lock can be picked with a big enough hammer." -- Sun System & Network Admin manual

    Note: All my comments are copyright 3/12/2004 7:49:29 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Dec 3, 2004
  11. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    rupert Guest

    should be no problems at all - i converted the dam busters movie from dvd a
    size that fitted my pocket pc - works perfectly and you can see just as
    well.
    eneded up being around 256MB

    rupert, Dec 4, 2004
  12. Brendan wrote:
    >>well see, thats the thing, it was only an example... they were trying to
    >>show some visiting staff that they could email videos round... heh...

    > And they got ahold of your "security" video's ? Gezus that could have been
    > funny. Is it the one with the two lesbians ? ;)

    only two? whats the point... /kidding

    >>They're going to use a shared network share(drive) to do it from now on.

    > Much more sensible.

    yeah.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 4, 2004
  13. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Enkidu Guest

    <> wrote:

    >So I was wondering why one of the mailservers was suddenly crawling...
    >
    >It appears that one user decided that he was going to email the guy next
    >to him, 1GB of files... an AVI of some sort.
    >
    >I introduced him to compression, and he has since emailed the 60MB email
    >to his collegue.
    >
    >File attachment size limits have now been introduced.

    I once accidentally saved a 4.5GB file (VMWare image) to the desktop.
    With roaming profiles it took a looooong time to login, and I also ran
    out of space on the disk. Of course, I knew where to go to get rid of
    it, by I pity the poor user who did something similar.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    --

    These twin-CPU hyperthreading computers are really
    great! We can wait ten to a hundred times faster

    Enkidu, Dec 4, 2004
  14. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Craig Shore Guest

    wrote:

    >>>I've burned it to CD... it was security videos.

    >> If anyone wants to see them they can't because it's all "confidential"!
    >> Brilliant! You're bound to get away with it Dave.

    >well see, thats the thing, it was only an example... they were trying to
    >show some visiting staff that they could email videos round... heh...
    >
    >They're going to use a shared network share(drive) to do it from now on.

    In the folder labeled "pron"?

    :)

    Craig Shore, Dec 4, 2004
  15. Craig Shore wrote:
    >>They're going to use a shared network share(drive) to do it from now on.

    > In the folder labeled "pron"?

    no, it's labelled security$ and mapped as "S:"

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 5, 2004
  16. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 08:17:18 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>>They're going to use a shared network share(drive) to do it from now on.

    >> In the folder labeled "pron"?

    > no, it's labelled security$ and mapped as "S:"

    Bit foolish: the boss will never find your 'important secret security
    files' now...

    --

    .... Brendan

    PATIENCE, n. A minor form of despair, disguised as a virtue. -- Ambrose Bierce

    Note: All my comments are copyright 7/12/2004 11:19:06 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Dec 7, 2004
  17. Brendan wrote:
    >>>In the folder labeled "pron"?

    >>no, it's labelled security$ and mapped as "S:"

    > Bit foolish: the boss will never find your 'important secret security
    > files' now...

    heh, my boss doesnt have a login for here(where I work)...
    Im a contractor, and my boss doesnt work here.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 7, 2004
  18. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Brendan Guest

    On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 09:03:58 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >> Bit foolish: the boss will never find your 'important secret security
    >> files' now...

    > heh, my boss doesnt have a login for here(where I work)...
    > Im a contractor, and my boss doesnt work here.

    lol

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Don't be so humble, you're not that great." -- Golda Meir

    Note: All my comments are copyright 8/12/2004 12:33:42 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Dec 7, 2004