    in safe mode, it lets me get to safe mode by hitting F8, but any option
    I choose shuts it down again. What can I do? I'm not savvy, so please
    help in laymans terms...
    claudia, Jun 8, 2006

  2. claudia

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-06-08, claudia <> wrote:
    > Please help. I have Windows XP. My computer completely shuts down
    > after startup begins (a few seconds). I cant even get to a c: prompt
    > in safe mode, it lets me get to safe mode by hitting F8, but any option
    > I choose shuts it down again. What can I do? I'm not savvy, so please
    > help in laymans terms...

    Is it a laptop wih a flat battery?

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jun 8, 2006

  3. claudia

    Evan Platt Guest

    On 8 Jun 2006 12:18:12 -0700, "claudia" <>
    wrote:

    >Please help. I have Windows XP. My computer completely shuts down
    >after startup begins (a few seconds). I cant even get to a c: prompt
    >in safe mode, it lets me get to safe mode by hitting F8, but any option
    >I choose shuts it down again. What can I do? I'm not savvy, so please
    >help in laymans terms...

    Is this a new computer? Old?
    Possible problems are a bad power supply, or a overheated CPU.
    Try a new power cord (cord from outlet to power supply.
    Try a new power supply (any decent computer store should be able to
    hook one up easily to confirm if that's the issue.
    Evan Platt, Jun 8, 2006
  4. claudia

    claudia Guest

    Re: HEEELP!! Computer shuts down at startup

    Thanks Evan.

    It is a couple of years old. I already used a different power supply.
    The fan in the back (I can visually see it) seems to be fine, is there
    another one? Anyway... thanks for the help!
    claudia, Jun 8, 2006
  5. claudia

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Re: HEEELP!! Computer shuts down at startup

    In news:,
    claudia spewed forth:
    > Thanks Evan.
    >
    > It is a couple of years old. I already used a different power supply.
    > The fan in the back (I can visually see it) seems to be fine, is there
    > another one? Anyway... thanks for the help!

    Usually there is another fan right above the CPU (microprocessor) inside the
    case. That cools the CPU. The other cools the power supply and may help with
    the overall case temperature.

    Some cases have a back fan that is used to cool the CPU via a shroud that
    ducts air over the heatsink of the CPU and out the back of the case. Many of
    my Dells at work are like that.

    So you would probably have to actually open the case to know for sure. When
    you're in there, get the dust bunnies out. Best to use a can of clean
    compressed air from the computer store.

    If cleaning it out and making sure the fans are keeping it cool don't work,
    it could be a Windows problem, or another hardware problem. It's rather hard
    to diagnose without more information.

    --
    I always finish what I sta
    Toolman Tim, Jun 9, 2006
  6. claudia

    Barry OGrady Guest

    Barry OGrady, Jun 9, 2006
  7. claudia

    claudia Guest

    Re: HEEELP!! Computer shuts down at startup

    No Whiskers, its a cheap old emachines computer!

    claudia, Jun 9, 2006
  8. claudia

    claudia Guest

    Re: HEEELP!! Computer shuts down at startup

    Thanks... I opened it up, and oh my god, the inner fan was FULL of dust
    and dirt. But, its still doing the same thing. I will take it to a
    computer store and have the power supply checked (I just realized you
    were talking about the supply INSIDE the computer - duh)..... I'll let
    you know what they say!

    claudia, Jun 9, 2006
  9. claudia

    claudia Guest

    Re: HEEELP!! Computer shuts down at startup

    hi Barry,

    Thanks... not sure what you mean, but I turn the power on, its starts
    up, I might see the microsoft logo and then it shuts down. If I hit
    F8, it goes to the screen with safe mode options etc., but if I choose
    any of them it shuts down right away again. Does that make sense?

    claudia, Jun 9, 2006
  10. claudia

    Ben Myers Guest

    See if this is helpful.