Heeeeeeelp... Newbie with avi to dvd (or svcd) please.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Mike, Aug 14, 2004.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I have six AVI files which I downloaded from the net. I have
    tried:

    DVD2SVCD
    CCE SP
    TMPGenc

    Nothing seems to like these avi files and I'm a complete newbie.
    GSpot gives the following information...

    AVI File Details
    Name.........: system_administration_level_1_a.avi
    Filesize.....: 179 MB (or 184,044 KB or 188,461,056 bytes)
    Runtime......: 00:57:16 (102,987 fr)
    Video Codec..: S-Mpeg 4 version 2
    Video Bitrate: 303 kb/s
    Audio Codec..: 0x0055(MP3) ID'd as MPEG-1 Layer 3
    Audio Bitrate: 128 kb/s (64/ch, stereo) CBR
    Frame Size...: 480x352 (1.36:1) [=15:11]

    Audio Format:
    Code: 0x0055
    Name: WAVE_FORMAT_MPEGLAYER3 (MP3)
    Vendor: ISO/MPEG

    The following codecs should both capable of processing this
    format:

    -->> {Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec (advanced)}
    -->> {MPEG Layer-3 Decoder}

    DirectShow was also able to find a codec to render it - the
    sound for this media clip should work fine.

    The following codecs should both capable of processing this
    format:

    {Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Decompressor}
    {Mpeg4 Decoder DMO}

    DirectShow is apparently able to play the file as well (see
    "DirectShow Render", below),

    DirectShow claims to be able to play the file. The following
    combination of filters were used:

    {D:\burn\Learning Red ..-..tration_level_1_a.avi} (Source)
    {AVI Splitter} (Splitter)

    {Mpeg4 Decoder DMO} (Video Decoder)
    {Video Renderer} (Video Renderer)

    {MPEG Layer-3 Decoder} (Audio Decoder)
    {Default DirectSound Device} (Audio Renderer)

    End details

    The six files weigh in at just over 1 gig, so ideally I want to
    burn them to a DVD to view on my domestic DVD player.

    Can anyone help?

    Thanks.

    Mike, Aug 14, 2004

  2. Mike

    Nick Legrand Guest

    DVD2SVCD and CCE are for other purposes...

    TMPGenc plus can do the job.. if not... it's something with your avi file...

    you could try virtualdub to re-encode it and then try tmpgenc again..

    Nick Legrand, Aug 14, 2004

  3. I've found a lot of avi files that TMPGenc can't use, i think's it's due to
    them being dv2 instead of dv1 (although I'm not even sure what that means!),
    i can convert them ok using nero vision express or eo video (free trial
    available for download), or windows movie maker will convert them into .wmv
    or avi files that tmpgenc can then use.

    hth.

    HiHoSilverLining, Aug 14, 2004
  4. Mike

    Nick Legrand Guest

    yeah like I said.. if they use a strange codec or so....
    divx would be good for tmpenc

    Nick Legrand, Aug 14, 2004
  5. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "HiHoSilverLining" <> wrote:

    >"Mike" <> wrote in message
    >> I have six AVI files which I downloaded from the net. I have
    >> tried:
    >>
    >> DVD2SVCD
    >> CCE SP
    >> TMPGenc

    <details>

    >> The six files weigh in at just over 1 gig, so ideally I want to
    >> burn them to a DVD to view on my domestic DVD player.

    >I've found a lot of avi files that TMPGenc can't use, i think's it's due to
    >them being dv2 instead of dv1 (although I'm not even sure what that means!),
    >i can convert them ok using nero vision express or eo video (free trial
    >available for download), or windows movie maker will convert them into .wmv
    >or avi files that tmpgenc can then use.

    Erk.. One file is going to take over seven hours to save, so
    that's almost four days for all six AVI's..

    Mike, Aug 14, 2004
  6. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "Nick Legrand" <> wrote:

    >"Mike" <> wrote in message
    >> I have six AVI files which I downloaded from the net. I have
    >> tried:

    >> TMPGenc
    >>
    >> Nothing seems to like these avi files and I'm a complete newbie.
    >> GSpot gives the following information...

    >> The six files weigh in at just over 1 gig, so ideally I want to
    >> burn them to a DVD to view on my domestic DVD player.

    >TMPGenc plus can do the job.. if not... it's something with your avi file...
    >you could try virtualdub to re-encode it and then try tmpgenc again..

    Cheers, I'll try that next.

    Mike, Aug 14, 2004
  7. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "Nick Legrand" <> wrote:

    >"HiHoSilverLining" <> wrote
    >> "Mike" <> wrote

    >> > I have six AVI files which I downloaded from the net. I have
    >> > tried:
    >> >
    >> > DVD2SVCD
    >> > CCE SP
    >> > TMPGenc
    >> >
    >> > Nothing seems to like these avi files and I'm a complete newbie.
    >> > GSpot gives the following information...

    >> > The six files weigh in at just over 1 gig, so ideally I want to
    >> > burn them to a DVD to view on my domestic DVD player.

    >> I've found a lot of avi files that TMPGenc can't use, i think's it's due to
    >> them being dv2 instead of dv1 (although I'm not even sure what that means!),
    >> i can convert them ok using nero vision express or eo video (free trial
    >> available for download), or windows movie maker will convert them into .wmv
    >> or avi files that tmpgenc can then use.

    >yeah like I said.. if they use a strange codec or so....
    >divx would be good for tmpenc

    I have divx v5.1 and the player v2.5.
    How does that work then?

    Cheers.

    Mike, Aug 14, 2004
  8. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I wrote:

    >"Nick Legrand" <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Mike" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have six AVI files which I downloaded from the net. I have
    >>> tried:

    >>> TMPGenc
    >>>
    >>> Nothing seems to like these avi files and I'm a complete newbie.
    >>> GSpot gives the following information...

    >>> The six files weigh in at just over 1 gig, so ideally I want to
    >>> burn them to a DVD to view on my domestic DVD player.

    >>TMPGenc plus can do the job.. if not... it's something with your avi file...
    >>you could try virtualdub to re-encode it and then try tmpgenc again..

    >Cheers, I'll try that next.

    Tried VirtualDub 1.5.10 and it says..

    "Can't locate decompressor for video format MP42"

    /me googles for new decompressor.

    Mike, Aug 14, 2004
  9. Mike

    Billy Joe Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > "HiHoSilverLining" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Mike" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have six AVI files which I downloaded from the net. I have
    >>> tried:
    >>>
    >>> DVD2SVCD
    >>> CCE SP
    >>> TMPGenc

    > <details>
    >
    >>> The six files weigh in at just over 1 gig, so ideally I
    >>> want to
    >>> burn them to a DVD to view on my domestic DVD player.

    >> I've found a lot of avi files that TMPGenc can't use, i
    >> think's it's due to them being dv2 instead of dv1 (although
    >> I'm not even sure what that means!), i can convert them ok
    >> using nero vision express or eo video (free trial available
    >> for download), or windows movie maker will convert them into
    >> .wmv or avi files that tmpgenc can then use.

    > Erk.. One file is going to take over seven hours to save, so
    > that's almost four days for all six AVI's..

    Your planet apparently revolves much faster than ours?

    You're going to be VERY disappointed with these conversions, unless
    you're going to play them on your wrist watch. Have you at least
    viewed them on your PC?

    BJ

    Billy Joe, Aug 14, 2004
  10. Mike

    Robin Banks Guest

    On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 15:30:19 +0100, Mike <> wrote:

    > Tried VirtualDub 1.5.10 and it says..
    > "Can't locate decompressor for video format MP42"

    This might or might not work for you. I've had this happen just like you
    describe. I found a program called "FourCC Changer" (sorry, can't remember
    the URL at the moment) and changed the file to XVid or Divx, and then some
    programs will deal with it. Sometimes no. It's worth a shot though.

    I'm still learning, so I can't explain the ins and outs of the program. All I
    know it that it's saved me at times. You might try it. Google will find it
    for you, I'm sure.

    ~~R.Banks

    Robin Banks, Aug 14, 2004
  11. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "Billy Joe" <> wrote:

    >Mike wrote:
    >> "HiHoSilverLining" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Mike" <> wrote in message

    >> <details>

    >>> I've found a lot of avi files that TMPGenc can't use, i
    >>> think's it's due to them being dv2 instead of dv1 (although
    >>> I'm not even sure what that means!), i can convert them ok
    >>> using nero vision express or eo video (free trial available
    >>> for download), or windows movie maker will convert them into
    >>> .wmv or avi files that tmpgenc can then use.

    >> Erk.. One file is going to take over seven hours to save, so
    >> that's almost four days for all six AVI's..

    >Your planet apparently revolves much faster than ours?

    Spins like a top it does. :) Ok, over one day.

    >You're going to be VERY disappointed with these conversions, unless
    >you're going to play them on your wrist watch. Have you at least
    >viewed them on your PC?

    They are quite low quality, but they are training vids so I'm not
    too worried.

    1.) How long would pucker movie quality take?

    2.) What do people do while they wait, die?

    Mike, Aug 14, 2004
  12. Mike

    Billy Joe Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > "Billy Joe" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Mike wrote:

    >>> <details>

    >>> Erk.. One file is going to take over seven hours to save, so
    >>> that's almost four days for all six AVI's..

    >> Your planet apparently revolves much faster than ours?

    > Spins like a top it does. :) Ok, over one day.
    >
    >> You're going to be VERY disappointed with these conversions,
    >> unless you're going to play them on your wrist watch. Have
    >> you at least viewed them on your PC?

    > They are quite low quality, but they are training vids so I'm
    > not too worried.
    >
    > 1.) How long would pucker movie quality take?
    >
    > 2.) What do people do while they wait, die?

    Well, Mike, I'd give serious consideration to buying a DVD player that
    will play them as is.

    For example, I just received a Philips DVP642/37 from Amazon for
    US$63. This unit will play your files from CD or DVD without further
    processing involved, just burn them as data.

    BJ

    Billy Joe, Aug 14, 2004