Heatsink on northbridge chip broken

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Allistar, Aug 2, 2004.

  1. Allistar

    Allistar Guest

    Hi all,
    I have an ASUS P4PE (with a P4 2.4GHz and 1Gb of DDR RAM). When installing
    an extra 512Mb of RAM recently I noticed the heatsink on the northbridge
    chip has come off. In the ASUS design this heatsink is held on by 4
    "staples" in the motherboard. 2 of these staples have come out, meaning the
    the heatsink can no longer hold on to the board.
    I have no idea how long it has been like this before, and the PC does seem
    to run ok. The northbridge chip does feel quite hot though.
    I have recently ordered some thermel cement which I hope to reattach the
    heatsink with (disregarding the "staple" mechanism altogether.

    Has anyone else has experience with these ASUS "staple" mechanism of
    holding a heatsink to a chip?

    Do you think it would last long with no heatsink at all (it has a cpu fan,
    PSU fan and case fan, the latter of which is located close to the
    northbridge chip).

    I figure if it overheats and dies I could replace it with a nice dual
    AMD-64, if only the bank account would let me.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Aug 2, 2004

  2. In article <kyoPc.1421$>, says...
    > Hi all,
    > I have an ASUS P4PE (with a P4 2.4GHz and 1Gb of DDR RAM). When installing
    > an extra 512Mb of RAM recently I noticed the heatsink on the northbridge
    > chip has come off. In the ASUS design this heatsink is held on by 4
    > "staples" in the motherboard. 2 of these staples have come out, meaning the
    > the heatsink can no longer hold on to the board.

    Is it the northbridge or an integrated video chip?

    Patrick Dunford, Aug 2, 2004

  3. Allistar

    Allistar Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > In article <kyoPc.1421$>, says...
    >> Hi all,
    >> I have an ASUS P4PE (with a P4 2.4GHz and 1Gb of DDR RAM). When
    >> installing
    >> an extra 512Mb of RAM recently I noticed the heatsink on the northbridge
    >> chip has come off. In the ASUS design this heatsink is held on by 4
    >> "staples" in the motherboard. 2 of these staples have come out, meaning
    >> the the heatsink can no longer hold on to the board.

    > Is it the northbridge or an integrated video chip?

    It's the northbridge. I can tell from it's position. This board doesn't have
    a built in video chipset.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Aug 2, 2004
  4. Allistar wrote:
    > I figure if it overheats and dies I could replace it with a nice dual
    > AMD-64, if only the bank account would let me.

    no wife?

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 2, 2004
  5. Allistar

    Richard Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Allistar wrote:
    >
    >> I figure if it overheats and dies I could replace it with a nice dual
    >> AMD-64, if only the bank account would let me.

    > no wife?

    I dont think you could swap a wife for a dual amd 64 machine just yet...

    Richard, Aug 3, 2004
  6. Allistar

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    > > Allistar wrote:
    > >
    > >> I figure if it overheats and dies I could replace it with a nice dual
    > >> AMD-64, if only the bank account would let me.

    > > no wife?
    > >

    > I dont think you could swap a wife for a dual amd 64 machine just yet...

    Damn, I'll swap my wife for anything available.........

    <the sounds you hear in the background are my balls being surgically removed
    by a blunt instrument>

    RJ oooooooocccchhh

    Ryan Jacobs, Aug 3, 2004
  7. Allistar wrote:
    >>>I figure if it overheats and dies I could replace it with a nice dual
    >>>AMD-64, if only the bank account would let me.

    >>no wife?

    > "Bank account" was a polite synonym for "wife" :)

    where deposits are made... oh dear, mind in the gutter.
    now, where is that "bank account" of mine?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 3, 2004
  8. Allistar

    Allistar Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Allistar wrote:
    >> I figure if it overheats and dies I could replace it with a nice dual
    >> AMD-64, if only the bank account would let me.

    > no wife?

    "Bank account" was a polite synonym for "wife" :) And she wouldn't
    understand the need to spend that sort of money on more "computer bits".

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Aug 3, 2004