    Michael Hims Guest

    What sort of temperature should a hard drive, processor and PSU be running
    at?

    Michael Hims, Aug 14, 2004

  2. Michael Hims

    joevan Guest

    On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 14:32:25 GMT, "Michael Hims"
    <> wrote:

    >What sort of temperature should a hard drive, processor and PSU be running
    >at?

    I would think it would depend on the system but here are mine at the
    moment, more or less with low CPU usage currently.

    Sensor Properties
    Sensor Type Asus ASB100 Bach, Winbond W83L785TS-S
    Sensor Access SMBus 2Dh, SMBus 2Eh
    Motherboard Name Asus A7N8X

    Temperatures
    Motherboard 29 °C (84 °F)
    CPU 43 °C (109 °F)
    CPU Diode 58 °C (136 °F)

    Cooling Fans
    CPU 2596 RPM

    Voltage Values
    CPU Core 1.78 V
    CPU Aux 1.78 V
    +3.3 V 3.26 V
    +5 V 4.92 V
    +12 V 12.29 V
    -12 V -12.21 V
    -5 V -4.62 V
    joevan

    joevan, Aug 14, 2004

  3. Michael Hims

    DC Guest

    Win98 Spontaneous rebooting while idle (was: Heat)

    joevan wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 14:32:25 GMT, "Michael Hims"
    ><> wrote:

    >>What sort of temperature should a hard drive, processor and PSU be running
    >>at?

    > I would think it would depend on the system but here are mine at the
    > moment, more or less with low CPU usage currently.

    > [snip sensors data]

    Joevan, a related question, if I may:

    Preamble:

    My brother has been having spontaneous reboot problems on his Win 98SE
    system. I'd never had any first hand experience with this phenomenon,
    but a quick Google search revealed that dust bunnies (along with bad RAM
    and others) is often the root cause.

    I sent my brother some tinyurls to my search results and he has cleaned
    out his machine of the furry little creatures but the problems still
    occur. Oddly, his computer tends to reboot while idle (he'll hear it
    reboot while lying in bed) -- not while the CPU is under heavy load.

    Question:

    Do you know of a freeware that will monitor the mobo and other sensors
    and log the poll data to a file, preferable one that could be charted,
    that we could study to determine his system's hardware status at the
    moment the reboots occur?

    He is unable to swap out the ram to verify it ($tarving $tudent). Is
    there a way to test it (again, freeware) using a software method?

    Of course, any other possible remedies for this rebooting problem would
    be welcome. To my knowledge, he's only tried cleaning the machine.

    Some system specs:

    Win98SE
    Intel Pentium III, 500 MHz (5 x 100)
    Asus P2-99 mobo
    512 MB SDRAM

    Thanks.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    DC, Aug 14, 2004
  4. Michael Hims

    ICee Guest

    Re: Win98 Spontaneous rebooting while idle (was: Heat)

    DC wrote:

    [snip]

    > Question:
    >
    > Do you know of a freeware that will monitor the mobo and other sensors
    > and log the poll data to a file, preferable one that could be charted,
    > that we could study to determine his system's hardware status at the
    > moment the reboots occur?

    Motherboard Monitor:
    http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

    > He is unable to swap out the ram to verify it ($tarving $tudent). Is
    > there a way to test it (again, freeware) using a software method?

    Memtest86:
    http://www.memtest86.com/
    DocMemory:
    http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp
    Beginners Guide: Diagnosing Bad Memory:

    > Of course, any other possible remedies for this rebooting problem
    > would be welcome. To my knowledge, he's only tried cleaning the
    > machine.
    >

    > Some system specs:
    >
    > Win98SE
    > Intel Pentium III, 500 MHz (5 x 100)
    > Asus P2-99 mobo
    > 512 MB SDRAM

    Since it's an older system, it's possible the motherboard has bad
    capacitors. Have him open the system and look for any signs of bad caps:
    bulging and/or leaking, which will be a brownish colored substance on or
    below the capacitor (leaking electrolyte). A picture of both problems
    so he knows what to look for is here:
    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com/Bad Caps Pic/BX133 caps.jpg

    ICee, Aug 14, 2004
  5. Michael Hims

    DC Guest

    ICee wrote:
    > DC wrote:

    > [snip]

    >> Question:

    >> Do you know of a freeware that will monitor the mobo and other sensors
    >> and log the poll data to a file, preferable one that could be charted,
    >> that we could study to determine his system's hardware status at the
    >> moment the reboots occur?

    > Motherboard Monitor:
    > http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

    >> He is unable to swap out the ram to verify it ($tarving $tudent). Is
    >> there a way to test it (again, freeware) using a software method?

    > Memtest86:
    > http://www.memtest86.com/
    > DocMemory:
    > http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp
    > Beginners Guide: Diagnosing Bad Memory:
    > http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1565

    >> Of course, any other possible remedies for this rebooting problem
    >> would be welcome. To my knowledge, he's only tried cleaning the
    >> machine.

    >> Some system specs:

    >> Win98SE
    >> Intel Pentium III, 500 MHz (5 x 100)
    >> Asus P2-99 mobo
    >> 512 MB SDRAM

    > Since it's an older system, it's possible the motherboard has bad
    > capacitors. Have him open the system and look for any signs of bad caps:
    > bulging and/or leaking, which will be a brownish colored substance on or
    > below the capacitor (leaking electrolyte). A picture of both problems
    > so he knows what to look for is here:
    > ftp://geerynet.d2g.com/Bad Caps Pic/BX133 caps.jpg

    >> Thanks.

    Thanks, ICee. I'll pass this on to him.

    Much appreciated. }:O)

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    DC, Aug 14, 2004
  6. Michael Hims

    ICee Guest

    Re: Win98 Spontaneous rebooting while idle (was: Heat)

    You're welcome. :)

    ICee, Aug 14, 2004
  7. Blinky the Shark, Aug 14, 2004
  8. Michael Hims

    Michael Hims Guest

    AMD Athlon 2200 XP+ i think

    Michael Hims, Aug 15, 2004
  9. Michael Hims

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Michael Hims mused:

    | What sort of temperature should a hard drive, processor and PSU be running
    | at?

    Well, it all depends on a couple of factors ... what brand and models of
    all you are using, as well as the ambient room temperature they are being
    used in. For overclocking, the general guideline is to have the CPU within
    20°C of the case temperature, and the case temperature to be within 5°C of
    the ambient room temperature. If you are not overclocking, you can relax
    these numbers substantially. I wouldn't worry about the temperature of your
    hard drive, unless your case temperature is also very high.

    mhicaoidh, Aug 17, 2004