    does the chipset fan always spin when the pc is running or only at certain
    times.

    Thanks.
    Edward Kelley, Jan 30, 2005

  2. Edward Kelley

    Conor Guest

    In article <En7Ld.94433$>, Edward Kelley
    says...
    > My power supply blew out a week ago so I bought a new case with a power
    > supply since the price was right and I wanted a new case anyway. I
    > installed everything and the computer boots into Windows fine, but I noticed
    > the heat sink and chipset fans were not moving so I shut down. The heat
    > sink fan was quite dusty so I cleaned it and then it was working but not
    > very well. I also cleaned the chipset fan although that didn't look bad at
    > all.
    >
    > My question is, "is it possible the power supply damaged the motherboard
    > when it blew out,

    Quite possible. Fans tend to run on 12V. If the 12V line on the mobo
    was damaged, everything else would appear to work OK as they use 0V,
    3.3V and 5V.

    --
    Conor

    -- George Patton
    Conor, Jan 30, 2005

  3. Edward Kelley

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Edward Kelley" <> wrote in message
    | My power supply blew out a week ago so I bought a new case with a power
    | supply since the price was right and I wanted a new case anyway. I
    | installed everything and the computer boots into Windows fine, but I
    noticed
    | the heat sink and chipset fans were not moving so I shut down. The heat
    | sink fan was quite dusty so I cleaned it and then it was working but not
    | very well. I also cleaned the chipset fan although that didn't look bad
    at
    | all.
    |
    | My question is, "is it possible the power supply damaged the motherboard
    | when it blew out, or do I just need to replace the heat sink fan?" Also,
    | does the chipset fan always spin when the pc is running or only at certain
    | times.

    1) Yes, it is possible for the PS to damage the mobo when it goes out.

    2) Get another heat sink fan, and find out. Get a good one.

    3) Chipset fan - what's that? Video card fan maybe? Not knowing what
    computer/motherboard etc. you have, I can't say for sure. But on some
    systems, fans only come on when the component to which it is attached
    reaches a temperature level where it needs to be cooled.
    Toolman Tim, Jan 30, 2005