Heart of the Computer is . . .

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Help Wanted, Nov 28, 2004.

  1. Help Wanted

    Help Wanted Guest

    Hello,
    Most important component in the body is the
    heart:
    If the brain gives out, it is called “brain
    dead”, however long-term peripherals may
    keep the patient alive. If the lungs go, the
    same thing, kidneys same etc. When the heart
    goes . . . there is no long-term “peripheral”
    for that; that is when the patient is
    pronounced DEAD.

    In your opinion what is the “heart” or the
    most important component of the computer?
    When is the computer finally pronounce
    DEAD?

    Help Wanted, Nov 28, 2004

  2. Help Wanted

    Dan Glybitz Guest

    "Help Wanted" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message

    > Hello,
    > Most important component in the body is the
    > heart:
    > If the brain gives out, it is called "brain
    > dead", however long-term peripherals may
    > keep the patient alive. If the lungs go, the
    > same thing, kidneys same etc. When the heart
    > goes . . . there is no long-term "peripheral"
    > for that; that is when the patient is
    > pronounced DEAD.
    >
    > In your opinion what is the "heart" or the
    > most important component of the computer?
    > When is the computer finally pronounce
    > DEAD?

    My first thought was Troll, but I'm worried this might actually be a serious
    question?

    DG.

    --
    "Sit back and wait, this should be fun."

    Dan Glybitz, Nov 28, 2004

  3. Help Wanted

    Linda Guest

    > Hello,
    > Most important component in the body is the
    > heart:
    > If the brain gives out, it is called "brain
    > dead", however long-term peripherals may
    > keep the patient alive. If the lungs go, the
    > same thing, kidneys same etc. When the heart
    > goes . . . there is no long-term "peripheral"
    > for that; that is when the patient is
    > pronounced DEAD.
    >
    > In your opinion what is the "heart" or the
    > most important component of the computer?
    > When is the computer finally pronounce
    > DEAD?

    > <><><><><><><><>

    Kill your power supply & let us know how much of your pc still works.

    Linda, Nov 28, 2004
  4. Help Wanted

    Flying Tiger Guest

    Dead is only possible after being alive.

    So a computer cannot die.

    All parts are replacable.

    The most important part is the harddisk,the long term memory. the brain.

    So find a way to backup your brain and live forever.

    F.

    Flying Tiger, Nov 28, 2004
  5. "Flying Tiger" <> wrote in message
    > Dead is only possible after being alive.
    >
    > So a computer cannot die.
    >
    > All parts are replacable.
    >

    > The most important part is the harddisk,the long term memory. the brain.
    >
    > So find a way to backup your brain and live forever.
    >
    > F.

    The national grid>

    Annette Kurten, Nov 28, 2004
  6. Help Wanted

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Flying Tiger" <> wrote in message
    | Dead is only possible after being alive.
    |
    | So a computer cannot die.
    |
    | All parts are replacable.
    |

    | The most important part is the harddisk,the long term memory. the brain.
    |
    | So find a way to backup your brain and live forever.

    I pretty much concur. Although there comes a point when the speed, memory
    size limits, etc., become so troublesome that the computer system is no
    longer worth repairing. Oh - then the there's the obsolescence of parts...at
    some point we will no longer be able to buy good working Socket 3
    motherboards <g> (Wait - hasn't that already happened? Guess I oughta dump
    my 386/486 systems now.)

    Toolman Tim, Nov 28, 2004
  7. Help Wanted

    WormWood Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > "Flying Tiger" <> wrote in message
    > | Dead is only possible after being alive.
    > |
    > | So a computer cannot die.
    > |
    > | All parts are replacable.
    > |

    > | The most important part is the harddisk,the long term memory. the
    > brain.
    > |
    > | So find a way to backup your brain and live forever.
    > |
    > I pretty much concur. Although there comes a point when the speed,
    > memory
    > size limits, etc., become so troublesome that the computer system is
    > no
    > longer worth repairing. Oh - then the there's the obsolescence of
    > parts...at
    > some point we will no longer be able to buy good working Socket 3
    > motherboards <g> (Wait - hasn't that already happened? Guess I oughta
    > dump
    > my 386/486 systems now.)

    You mean my 286 needs upgrading so soon? Just like 'merkin cars,
    built-in obsolescence.

    WormWood, Nov 28, 2004
  8. Help Wanted

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "WormWood" <> wrote in message

    | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    | >
    | > "Flying Tiger" <> wrote in message
    | > | Dead is only possible after being alive.
    | > |
    | > | So a computer cannot die.
    | > |
    | > | All parts are replacable.
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | The most important part is the harddisk,the long term memory. the
    | > brain.
    | > |
    | > | So find a way to backup your brain and live forever.
    | > |
    | > I pretty much concur. Although there comes a point when the speed,
    | > memory
    | > size limits, etc., become so troublesome that the computer system is
    | > no
    | > longer worth repairing. Oh - then the there's the obsolescence of
    | > parts...at
    | > some point we will no longer be able to buy good working Socket 3
    | > motherboards <g> (Wait - hasn't that already happened? Guess I oughta
    | > dump
    | > my 386/486 systems now.)
    | >
    | You mean my 286 needs upgrading so soon? Just like 'merkin cars,
    | built-in obsolescence.

    Yup! I gotta find some place I can dump my 486 computers soon <g>

    Toolman Tim, Nov 28, 2004
  9. Help Wanted

    greyhawkmud Guest

    "Help Wanted" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message news:<-news.com>...
    > Hello,
    > Most important component in the body is the
    > heart:
    > If the brain gives out, it is called ?brain
    > dead?, however long-term peripherals may
    > keep the patient alive. If the lungs go, the
    > same thing, kidneys same etc. When the heart
    > goes . . . there is no long-term ?peripheral?
    > for that; that is when the patient is
    > pronounced DEAD.

    I guess you never heard of the heart-lung machine (used in operations).
    There are some experimental functioning artificial hearts.
    but I guess its all kinda moot since I don't follow your assumptions.
    (like someone becoming brain dead... once thats fried, what good is
    the body? I havent heard of a successful human brain transplant /
    replacement. Hearts do get replaced.)

    > In your opinion what is the ?heart? or the
    > most important component of the computer?
    > When is the computer finally pronounce
    > DEAD?

    Might sound silly but wouldn't the system clock be the closest analogy to
    the heart? Without the "pulse" of the system clock, what could a computer do?

    greyhawkmud, Nov 28, 2004
  10. greyhawkmud wrote:
    > "Help Wanted" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message news:<-news.com>...
    >> Hello,
    >> Most important component in the body is the
    >> heart:
    >> If the brain gives out, it is called ?brain
    >> dead?, however long-term peripherals may
    >> keep the patient alive. If the lungs go, the
    >> same thing, kidneys same etc. When the heart
    >> goes . . . there is no long-term ?peripheral?
    >> for that; that is when the patient is
    >> pronounced DEAD.

    > I guess you never heard of the heart-lung machine (used in operations).
    > There are some experimental functioning artificial hearts.
    > but I guess its all kinda moot since I don't follow your assumptions.
    > (like someone becoming brain dead... once thats fried, what good is
    > the body? I havent heard of a successful human brain transplant /
    > replacement. Hearts do get replaced.)

    >> In your opinion what is the ?heart? or the
    >> most important component of the computer?
    >> When is the computer finally pronounce
    >> DEAD?

    > Might sound silly but wouldn't the system clock be the closest analogy to
    > the heart? Without the "pulse" of the system clock, what could a computer do?

    It would just sit around, watching TV, eating chocolates and getting fat.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Play Zork: http://www.xs4all.nl/~pot/infocom/zork1.html

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 28, 2004
  11. Help Wanted

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    | greyhawkmud wrote:
    | > "Help Wanted" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message
    | >> Hello,
    | >> Most important component in the body is the
    | >> heart:
    | >> If the brain gives out, it is called ?brain
    | >> dead?, however long-term peripherals may
    | >> keep the patient alive. If the lungs go, the
    | >> same thing, kidneys same etc. When the heart
    | >> goes . . . there is no long-term ?peripheral?
    | >> for that; that is when the patient is
    | >> pronounced DEAD.
    |
    | > I guess you never heard of the heart-lung machine (used in operations).
    | > There are some experimental functioning artificial hearts.
    | > but I guess its all kinda moot since I don't follow your assumptions.
    | > (like someone becoming brain dead... once thats fried, what good is
    | > the body? I havent heard of a successful human brain transplant /
    | > replacement. Hearts do get replaced.)
    |
    | >> In your opinion what is the ?heart? or the
    | >> most important component of the computer?
    | >> When is the computer finally pronounce
    | >> DEAD?
    |
    | > Might sound silly but wouldn't the system clock be the closest analogy
    | > the heart? Without the "pulse" of the system clock, what could a
    computer do?

    | It would just sit around, watching TV, eating chocolates and getting fat.

    So my ex wife is really just a clock-dead computer?

    Toolman Tim, Nov 28, 2004
  12. Toolman Tim wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    >> greyhawkmud wrote:

    >>> Might sound silly but wouldn't the system clock be the closest analogy
    >>> to the heart? Without the "pulse" of the system clock, what could a
    >>> computer do?

    >> It would just sit around, watching TV, eating chocolates and getting fat.

    > So my ex wife is really just a clock-dead computer?

    Okay, you busted me. I *was* thinking about your ex.

    And no, it wasn't the dresses that made her ass look big. ;)

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 28, 2004
  13. Help Wanted

    | Toolman Tim wrote:
    |
    | > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    | >> It would just sit around, watching TV, eating chocolates and getting
    fat.

    | > So my ex wife is really just a clock-dead computer?
    |
    | Okay, you busted me. I *was* thinking about your ex.
    |
    | And no, it wasn't the dresses that made her ass look big. ;)

    Ya got *that* right <g>

    Toolman Tim, Nov 28, 2004
  14. Help Wanted

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    > Hello,
    > Most important component in the body is the
    > heart:
    > If the brain gives out, it is called "brain
    > dead", however long-term peripherals may
    > keep the patient alive. If the lungs go, the
    > same thing, kidneys same etc. When the heart
    > goes . . . there is no long-term "peripheral"
    > for that; that is when the patient is
    > pronounced DEAD.
    >
    > In your opinion what is the "heart" or the
    > most important component of the computer?
    > When is the computer finally pronounce
    > DEAD?

    This is simple.
    What is the function of the heart? to pump blood (fuel) to the rest of the
    body.
    So what pumps fuel (electricity) to the computer parts? the power supply.

    but unfortunately, a PC is not a living organism. it can be killed many
    times and be brought back to life.

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, Nov 28, 2004
  15. Help Wanted

    Help Wanted Guest

    <snip>

    >but unfortunately, a PC is not a living organism. it can be killed many
    >times and be brought back to life.
    >
    >-a|ex

    Hello,
    So can a human be brought back more than once.
    Once the adrenal glands go there is no recovery,
    however the patient isnot "pronounced" dead (even
    if the maggots are crawling in and out of the
    feeding tube, and the toes are black and rotting
    off) until the heart stops. The heart doesnot
    pump only blood but oxygen to the brain, limbs
    etc. The power supply is sort of the "food",
    because the computer isnot "pronounced" dead;
    it just needs "food". "Old age" is good, however
    not the kind of "dead" weare looking for- "dead"
    as the kind you get in a young person.
    What is a "National grid"? Is that something as
    the immune system? Perhaps the question shouldhave
    been is: What is the one thing in the computer
    that, once it goes, the computer cannot be
    repaired/brought-back, or can we say our
    computer is infinite - or could be?
    The data i think would be the . . .
    well . . . starts with an s
    and ends with a t. At least
    that is what is in mine :)
    No, i would say wehavenot
    yet found the "heart".

    Help Wanted, Nov 29, 2004
  16. Help Wanted

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    > <snip>
    > >
    > >but unfortunately, a PC is not a living organism. it can be killed many
    > >times and be brought back to life.
    > >
    > >-a|ex
    > >

    > Hello,
    > So can a human be brought back more than once.

    there are lots for humans that cannot be brought back to life...

    > Once the adrenal glands go there is no recovery,
    > however the patient isnot "pronounced" dead (even

    the definition of legal death is debateable (no brain activity for at least
    an hour).

    > if the maggots are crawling in and out of the
    > feeding tube, and the toes are black and rotting
    > off) until the heart stops. The heart doesnot
    > pump only blood but oxygen to the brain,

    blood carries that oxygen and the essential elements for the other parts of
    the body
    blood also carries the toxins away.

    limbs
    > etc. The power supply is sort of the "food",
    > because the computer isnot "pronounced" dead;
    > it just needs "food". "Old age" is good, however
    > not the kind of "dead" weare looking for- "dead"
    > as the kind you get in a young person.

    you lost me here...

    > What is a "National grid"? Is that something as
    > the immune system?

    sarcasm, national grid = power grid that failed the US eastern states.

    Perhaps the question shouldhave
    > been is: What is the one thing in the computer
    > that, once it goes, the computer cannot be
    > repaired/brought-back, or can we say our
    > computer is infinite - or could be?

    Microsoft has that definition, any PC that meets that requirement needs a
    new XP activation code. each peripheral is assigned a set of points. once a
    certain number is exceeded, the PC can no longer use the original XP license
    key, hence, it is dead.

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, Nov 29, 2004
  17. Help Wanted

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "127.0.0.1" <get.rooted@localhost> wrote in message

    | "Help Wanted" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message

    <snipped>

    | > Perhaps the question should have
    | > been : What is the one thing in the computer
    | > that, once it goes, the computer cannot be
    | > repaired/brought-back, or can we say our
    | > computer is infinite - or could be?
    |
    | Microsoft has that definition, any PC that meets that requirement needs a
    | new XP activation code. each peripheral is assigned a set of points. once
    | certain number is exceeded, the PC can no longer use the original XP
    license
    | key, hence, it is dead.

    Not so. If you exceed the place where the activation is no longer valid, you
    call them on the phone, tell them what happened, and get it re-activated.
    Ten minutes, tops, and you have a full resurrection from the dead <g>

    Toolman Tim, Nov 29, 2004
  18. Toolman Tim gibbered the following deranged nonsense:

    > "127.0.0.1" <get.rooted@localhost> wrote in message
    >|
    >| "Help Wanted" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message
    >
    ><snipped>
    >
    >| > Perhaps the question should have
    >| > been : What is the one thing in the computer
    >| > that, once it goes, the computer cannot be
    >| > repaired/brought-back, or can we say our
    >| > computer is infinite - or could be?
    >|
    >| Microsoft has that definition, any PC that meets that requirement needs a
    >| new XP activation code. each peripheral is assigned a set of points. once
    >| certain number is exceeded, the PC can no longer use the original XP
    > license
    >| key, hence, it is dead.
    >
    > Not so. If you exceed the place where the activation is no longer valid, you
    > call them on the phone, tell them what happened, and get it re-activated.
    > Ten minutes, tops, and you have a full resurrection from the dead <g>

    Or, you dump M$ and install one of the many distros of Linux,
    or FreeBSD, or FreeSCO, or whatever floats your boat, just so
    you get out from under the thumb of the Wal-Mart of the computer
    world.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    BEER!! The staff of life!!

    The Old Sourdough, Nov 29, 2004
  19. Help Wanted

    trout Guest

    Dan Glybitz wrote:

    > "Help Wanted" wrote

    [snip]
    >> In your opinion what is the "heart" or the
    >> most important component of the computer?
    >> When is the computer finally pronounce
    >> DEAD?
    >>

    > My first thought was Troll, but I'm worried this might actually be a
    > serious question?
    >
    > DG.

    My first thought was "home-work".
    --
    "It's my last one, as well."

    trout, Nov 29, 2004
  20. Help Wanted

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, trout mused:

    | My first thought was "home-work".

    Indeed. Shame when someone cannot even form this basic of an opinion.

    mhicaoidh, Nov 30, 2004