    how to access it.

    TIA

    David

    David, Apr 26, 2004

  2. David

    one_red_eye Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Is there a free service where I can simply hear the phone ring when
    > receiving an incoming call when I am online. I don't want any kind of
    > rollover or answering machine.
    >

    > Callwave seems to have a service like this, but I was unable to figure out
    > how to access it.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > David

    My old ISP cut off the modem and rang through whenever there was an incoming
    call. I spose that's too much to ask of ISP's nowadays.
    (Now that I think about it, they also were the phone company.)

    --
    I saw Elvis. He sat between
    me and Bigfoot on the UFO.

    one_red_eye, Apr 26, 2004

  3. David

    Debbi Guest

    Subscribe to caller waiting, and when it sends the second caller signal,
    your modem will cut you off.

    Debbie

    Debbi, Apr 26, 2004
  4. David

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 08:12:36 -0500, "David" <>
    scribbled:

    >Is there a free service where I can simply hear the phone ring when
    >receiving an incoming call when I am online. I don't want any kind of
    >rollover or answering machine.

    My phone always rings when I'm online.... fucking sales people...

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett

    -= Hawk =-, Apr 26, 2004
  5. David

    slumpy Guest

    ....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel -= Hawk =-
    decided it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

    > On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 08:12:36 -0500, "David" <>
    > scribbled:
    >
    >> Is there a free service where I can simply hear the phone ring when
    >> receiving an incoming call when I am online. I don't want any kind of
    >> rollover or answering machine.

    > My phone always rings when I'm online.... fucking sales people...

    Notice they never try to sell you anything you really want ?

    Lately they have tried changing tack, and go for:

    "Hello is that Mr Scraggins ?"
    "No"
    "Aaaah, we have Mr Scraggins down as the owner of your property, could I
    have /your/ name ?"
    "No."
    "Ooookay...would you be free /just for a couple of minutes/ to discuss home
    improvements/a personal loan ?"
    "No."
    "Is that no, you are not free, or no you are not interested ?"
    "Both."
    "Okay, not even if you could make serious savings..."
    "No."
    "I'm wasting my time here, aren't I ?"
    "Yes."
    "Okay, have a good day."
    "Bubbeye".
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Apr 26, 2004
  6. David

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 18:56:55 +0100, "slumpy" <> scribbled:

    >...and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel -= Hawk =-
    >decided it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:
    >
    >> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 08:12:36 -0500, "David" <>
    >> scribbled:
    >>
    >>> Is there a free service where I can simply hear the phone ring when
    >>> receiving an incoming call when I am online. I don't want any kind of
    >>> rollover or answering machine.

    >> My phone always rings when I'm online.... fucking sales people...

    >Notice they never try to sell you anything you really want ?
    >
    >Lately they have tried changing tack, and go for:
    >
    >"Hello is that Mr Scraggins ?"
    >"No"
    >"Aaaah, we have Mr Scraggins down as the owner of your property, could I
    >have /your/ name ?"
    >"No."
    >"Ooookay...would you be free /just for a couple of minutes/ to discuss home
    >improvements/a personal loan ?"
    >"No."
    >"Is that no, you are not free, or no you are not interested ?"
    >"Both."
    >"Okay, not even if you could make serious savings..."
    >"No."
    >"I'm wasting my time here, aren't I ?"
    >"Yes."
    >"Okay, have a good day."
    >"Bubbeye".

    I enjoy fucking with the phone sales people (door to door's too).
    I had one roofing/general contractor place call me EARLY one
    morning so I said "Sure! We need a new roof. Can you get those
    really nice shingles that look just like slate?" And we were off.
    30 minutes or so later we'd added copper gutters, repainting the
    entire house and driveway, hurricane shutters AND safety glass
    film, redoing the cool-decking around the pool and patio, re-screening
    recoat the pool walls in custom black, the screen enclosure.... rough
    estimate I'd agreed to something like $35,000 - $45,000 in repairs and
    improvements. So then she says "We can start the work next week, is that
    good for you?" And I hit her with "Well, do you think that's going to be
    enough time to clear a check from a Venezuelan bank?" She hung up on
    me...

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett

    -= Hawk =-, Apr 26, 2004
  7. David

    slumpy Guest

    ....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel -= Hawk =-
    decided it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

    >> "Hello is that Mr Scraggins ?"
    >> "No"
    >> "Aaaah, we have Mr Scraggins down as the owner of your property,
    >> could I have /your/ name ?"
    >> "No."
    >> "Ooookay...would you be free /just for a couple of minutes/ to
    >> discuss home improvements/a personal loan ?"
    >> "No."
    >> "Is that no, you are not free, or no you are not interested ?"
    >> "Both."
    >> "Okay, not even if you could make serious savings..."
    >> "No."
    >> "I'm wasting my time here, aren't I ?"
    >> "Yes."
    >> "Okay, have a good day."
    >> "Bubbeye".

    > I enjoy fucking with the phone sales people (door to door's too).
    > I had one roofing/general contractor place call me EARLY one
    > morning so I said "Sure! We need a new roof. Can you get those
    > really nice shingles that look just like slate?" And we were off.
    > 30 minutes or so later we'd added copper gutters, repainting the
    > entire house and driveway, hurricane shutters AND safety glass
    > film, redoing the cool-decking around the pool and patio, re-screening
    > recoat the pool walls in custom black, the screen enclosure.... rough
    > estimate I'd agreed to something like $35,000 - $45,000 in repairs and
    > improvements. So then she says "We can start the work next week, is
    > that good for you?" And I hit her with "Well, do you think that's
    > going to be enough time to clear a check from a Venezuelan bank?"
    > She hung up on me...

    I have tried the trick of turning the tables on them and trying to sell
    /them/ something, but my mate is much better at it than me.

    He actually managed to supply a kitchen supply company with cheaper worktops
    after they cold-called /him/ at home one night. And he never bought a
    kitchen off them.
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Apr 26, 2004
  8. David

    Hamman Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message
    > Is there a free service where I can simply hear the phone ring when
    > receiving an incoming call when I am online. I don't want any kind of
    > rollover or answering machine.
    >

    > Callwave seems to have a service like this, but I was unable to figure out
    > how to access it.

    Yes, its called ADSL

    hamman

    Hamman, Apr 26, 2004
  9. David

    Mary Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message
    > Is there a free service where I can simply hear the phone ring when
    > receiving an incoming call when I am online. I don't want any kind of
    > rollover or answering machine.
    >

    > Callwave seems to have a service like this, but I was unable to figure out
    > how to access it.
    >
    > TIA
    >

    > David

    If you are using WinXP, you can configure your modem with 'Modem on Hold',
    which will let you have your Internet Connection and allow you to receive a
    short phone call without disconnecting you from the internet.
    Hope this helps.
    --
    Mary

    Mary, Apr 26, 2004
  10. David

    Mary Guest

    "slumpy" <> wrote in message
    <snip>

    > > I enjoy fucking with the phone sales people (door to door's too).
    > > I had one roofing/general contractor place call me EARLY one
    > > morning so I said "Sure! We need a new roof. Can you get those
    > > really nice shingles that look just like slate?" And we were off.
    > > 30 minutes or so later we'd added copper gutters, repainting the
    > > entire house and driveway, hurricane shutters AND safety glass
    > > film, redoing the cool-decking around the pool and patio, re-screening
    > > recoat the pool walls in custom black, the screen enclosure.... rough
    > > estimate I'd agreed to something like $35,000 - $45,000 in repairs and
    > > improvements. So then she says "We can start the work next week, is
    > > that good for you?" And I hit her with "Well, do you think that's
    > > going to be enough time to clear a check from a Venezuelan bank?"
    > > She hung up on me...

    > I have tried the trick of turning the tables on them and trying to sell
    > /them/ something, but my mate is much better at it than me.
    >
    > He actually managed to supply a kitchen supply company with cheaper

    worktops
    > after they cold-called /him/ at home one night. And he never bought a
    > kitchen off them.
    > --
    > slumpy
    > no more
    > no less
    > just me
    > (well what the **** did you expect ?)

    I actually tried something similar. A vaccum sales person called me (I
    ignored the call with the help of Caller ID). Shortly after, I hit 'call
    back' and asked the sap if she'd like to buy my bird from me. I laughed my
    ass off so hard that I had to hang up (after explaining to her why I was
    calling). She was SO confused to why I was calling her. It was hilarious.
    --
    Mary

    Mary, Apr 26, 2004
  11. David

    slumpy Guest

    ....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel Mary decided it
    was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

    > I actually tried something similar. A vaccum sales person called me (I
    > ignored the call with the help of Caller ID). Shortly after, I hit
    > 'call back' and asked the sap if she'd like to buy my bird from me. I
    > laughed my ass off so hard that I had to hang up (after explaining to
    > her why I was calling). She was SO confused to why I was calling her.
    > It was hilarious.

    I am going to try to persuade the next one to put me through to their
    manager to see if they want to change telephone supplier or computer
    contract.
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Apr 27, 2004
  12. David

    Mary Guest

    "slumpy" <> wrote in message
    > ...and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel Mary decided

    it
    > was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:
    >
    > > I actually tried something similar. A vaccum sales person called me (I
    > > ignored the call with the help of Caller ID). Shortly after, I hit
    > > 'call back' and asked the sap if she'd like to buy my bird from me. I
    > > laughed my ass off so hard that I had to hang up (after explaining to
    > > her why I was calling). She was SO confused to why I was calling her.
    > > It was hilarious.

    > I am going to try to persuade the next one to put me through to their
    > manager to see if they want to change telephone supplier or computer
    > contract.
    > --
    > slumpy
    > no more
    > no less
    > just me
    > (well what the **** did you expect ?)

    That should be good. Give us an update when ya do. Also-don't know where you
    live, but we have a 'No-Call List', I've signed up for it numerous times,
    but the buggars now can get through it by a new law-displaying at least
    their name or phone number. No-Call List-useless.
    --
    Mary

    Mary, Apr 27, 2004
  13. David

    slumpy Guest

    ....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel Mary decided it
    was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

    > That should be good. Give us an update when ya do. Also-don't know
    > where you live, but we have a 'No-Call List', I've signed up for it
    > numerous times, but the buggars now can get through it by a new
    > law-displaying at least their name or phone number. No-Call
    > List-useless.

    No, we have the "Sorry you're wasting your time and mine" tactic, followed
    closely by "**** off" and the phone going down.

    This is pretty close to me and cold-callers
    http://www.slumpy.fast24.co.uk/BT.mp3
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Apr 27, 2004
  14. David

    Mary Guest

    "slumpy" <> wrote in message
    > ...and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel Mary decided

    it
    > was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:
    >
    > > That should be good. Give us an update when ya do. Also-don't know
    > > where you live, but we have a 'No-Call List', I've signed up for it
    > > numerous times, but the buggars now can get through it by a new
    > > law-displaying at least their name or phone number. No-Call
    > > List-useless.

    > No, we have the "Sorry you're wasting your time and mine" tactic, followed
    > closely by "**** off" and the phone going down.
    >
    > This is pretty close to me and cold-callers
    > http://www.slumpy.fast24.co.uk/BT.mp3
    > --
    > slumpy
    > no more
    > no less
    > just me
    > (well what the **** did you expect ?)

    OMG-that is TOO funny! I can just imagine you saying this...LOL Thanks for
    the laugh!!! I needed it :)
    --
    Mary

    Mary, Apr 27, 2004
  15. David

    slumpy Guest

    ....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel Mary decided it
    was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

    > "slumpy" <> wrote in message
    >> ...and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel Mary
    >> decided it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:
    >>
    >>> That should be good. Give us an update when ya do. Also-don't know
    >>> where you live, but we have a 'No-Call List', I've signed up for it
    >>> numerous times, but the buggars now can get through it by a new
    >>> law-displaying at least their name or phone number. No-Call
    >>> List-useless.

    >> No, we have the "Sorry you're wasting your time and mine" tactic,
    >> followed closely by "**** off" and the phone going down.
    >>
    >> This is pretty close to me and cold-callers
    >> http://www.slumpy.fast24.co.uk/BT.mp3
    >> --
    >> slumpy
    >> no more
    >> no less
    >> just me
    >> (well what the **** did you expect ?)
    >>

    > OMG-that is TOO funny! I can just imagine you saying this...LOL
    > Thanks for the laugh!!! I needed it :)

    And it /is/ real ;-)
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Apr 27, 2004
  16. David

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Mary" <> wrote in message
    > "David" <> wrote in message
    > > Is there a free service where I can simply hear the phone ring when
    > > receiving an incoming call when I am online. I don't want any kind of
    > > rollover or answering machine.
    > >

    > > Callwave seems to have a service like this, but I was unable to figure

    out
    > > how to access it.
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >

    > > David

    > If you are using WinXP, you can configure your modem with 'Modem on Hold',
    > which will let you have your Internet Connection and allow you to receive

    > short phone call without disconnecting you from the internet.
    > Hope this helps.

    Mary, I believe that only works if you have a V.92 modem. All mine are older
    than that ;o) (But it would have made a good excuse for an upgrade...except
    I'm on cable now...) So the OP needs to check out his modem's hardware
    properties.

    Toolman Tim, Apr 27, 2004
  17. David

    Mary Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <tmayer541_at_charter.invalid> wrote in message
    ><snip>
    >
    > Mary, I believe that only works if you have a V.92 modem. All mine are

    older
    > than that ;o) (But it would have made a good excuse for an

    upgrade...except
    > I'm on cable now...) So the OP needs to check out his modem's hardware
    > properties.

    Well, they didn't mention what they have, so I had to put in my 2 cents-FWIW
    ;)
    --
    Mary

    Mary, Apr 27, 2004
  18. David

    Mary Guest

    "slumpy" <> wrote in message
    <snip>
    > > OMG-that is TOO funny! I can just imagine you saying this...LOL
    > > Thanks for the laugh!!! I needed it :)

    > And it /is/ real ;-)
    > --
    > slumpy
    > no more
    > no less
    > just me
    > (well what the **** did you expect ?)

    We have some goodies like that from here in the states, too.
    --
    Mary

    Mary, Apr 27, 2004
  19. David

    slumpy Guest

    ....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel Mary decided it
    was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

    > "slumpy" <> wrote in message
    > <snip>
    >>> OMG-that is TOO funny! I can just imagine you saying this...LOL
    >>> Thanks for the laugh!!! I needed it :)

    >> And it /is/ real ;-)
    >> --
    >> slumpy
    >> no more
    >> no less
    >> just me
    >> (well what the **** did you expect ?)
    >>

    > We have some goodies like that from here in the states, too.

    I would never assume we have the monopoly on arrogance and rudeness ;-)
    --
    slumpy
    "Let's face it, The States wins that one hands down"

    slumpy, Apr 27, 2004