Hearing PC noise from earbuds

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Greg, Mar 8, 2010.

  1. Greg

    Greg Guest

    I have a Dell Vostro 1500 Notebook. I recently installed Windows 7 H. Prem.
    on it. I also put a new 500 gig Segate 5400 rpm drive in it also.

    I am hearing system noise when I have my earbuds plugged in. Like when the
    drive is spinnnig or maybe when my mouse is moving. And every so often it
    just stops. Even when I am moving the cursor around.

    I thought it may have been my drive failing. So that is why I replaced it.
    Plus the fact that I am getting a much better system raiting with this new
    drive.

    As far as drivers go, I am using the default Microsoft driver for the audio
    card. The audio in this case is realtek. I've also tried the Dell Vista
    driver for the sound card (they don't have a Windows 7 driver). There is no
    difference.

    I've tried disabling the on board mic too.

    Could it be a grounding problem? I've removed the battery and ran it with
    just the power supply. No change. I've ran it off the battery with the power
    supply removed. No change.

    It seems to be less noticable when I have the power set at balance instead
    of high performance.

    This wasn't happening when I had Vista on it.

    I have a pair of USB headphones. I will try those this evening to see if I
    hear anything.

    Thanks,
    Greg

    Greg, Mar 8, 2010

  2. Greg

    chuckcar Guest

    "Greg" <> wrote in

    > I have a Dell Vostro 1500 Notebook. I recently installed Windows 7 H.
    > Prem. on it. I also put a new 500 gig Segate 5400 rpm drive in it
    > also.
    >
    > I am hearing system noise when I have my earbuds plugged in. Like when
    > the drive is spinnnig or maybe when my mouse is moving. And every so
    > often it just stops. Even when I am moving the cursor around.
    >
    > I thought it may have been my drive failing. So that is why I replaced
    > it.

    Lucky. I have no idea how you managed to get that. It surely wasn't
    subject to warrenty replacement under such marginal evidence. There
    are two things that go wrong with hard drives: the spin motor fails
    and/or they get bad sectors. In the former case, you get the click
    of death on boot - because since the disk isn't spinning the drive
    can't read itself and keeps trying (unsucessfully) to find track 0.
    Hence the noise: the head motor. Bad sectors can be found by a simple
    full scandisk. If none are found, your drive is still good. You *could*
    find out how much of the drives allowed bad sectors are left to see
    how much time you have, but you can guess at 5 years total anyways.

    > Plus the fact that I am getting a much better system raiting with
    > this new drive.

    It's newer. You've reinstall windows. Of course it's better. It's as
    good as it's going to get because of those two things.

    > As far as drivers go, I am using the default Microsoft driver for the
    > audio card.

    So you *don't* have drivers because you didn't do a update install, but
    completely reinstalled windows without getting your necessary drivers.
    They should be available from DEll. *Write* a copy of *all* legit
    drivers/etc you get from there to a closed session CD and keep it safe.
    You *need* those for your computer, even when you're not using XP.

    > The audio in this case is realtek. I've also tried the
    > Dell Vista driver for the sound card (they don't have a Windows 7
    > driver). There is no difference.

    You got lucky

    > I've tried disabling the on board mic too.

    Did you try just muting the microphone in volume control?

    > Could it be a grounding problem? I've removed the battery and ran it
    > with just the power supply. No change. I've ran it off the battery
    > with the power supply removed. No change.
    >
    > It seems to be less noticable when I have the power set at balance
    > instead of high performance.
    >
    > This wasn't happening when I had Vista on it.
    >
    > I have a pair of USB headphones. I will try those this evening to see
    > if I hear anything.

    Do you have directx installed? (almost certainly)

    try this:

    run: "dxdiag"

    click on the sound tab, drag the slider for sound acceleration down one
    notch and reboot.

    Then try the dell drivers with the same acceleration. *Now* you know which is
    better. You have two data points.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 8, 2010

  3. Greg

    soup Guest

    On 08/03/2010 16:39, Greg wrote:

    > As far as drivers go, I am using the default Microsoft driver for the audio
    > card. The audio in this case is realtek. I've also tried the Dell Vista
    > driver for the sound card (they don't have a Windows 7 driver). There is no
    > difference.

    I would reinforce the comment to find the right driver (if the Realtek
    site is no use maybe a 'phone call to realtek will elicit a responce
    along the lines of "just use the XP one mate". It was drummed into me
    for my A+ that the driver should be checked/updated for any problems
    (after checking cabling etc).

    soup, Mar 8, 2010
  4. Greg

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 21:54:51 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > warrenty

    WTF?????

    > unsucessfully

    WTF?????

    --
    "I can tell you how to become a millionaire in as much time as it takes
    a woman to have a baby. One catch: the nine-month plan ends in a funeral."

    Aardvark, Mar 8, 2010
  5. Greg

    rf Guest

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > "Greg" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I have a Dell Vostro 1500 Notebook. I recently installed Windows 7 H.
    >> Prem. on it. I also put a new 500 gig Segate 5400 rpm drive in it
    >> also.
    >>
    >> I am hearing system noise when I have my earbuds plugged in. Like when
    >> the drive is spinnnig or maybe when my mouse is moving. And every so
    >> often it just stops. Even when I am moving the cursor around.
    >>
    >> I thought it may have been my drive failing. So that is why I replaced
    >> it.

    > Lucky. I have no idea how you managed to get that. It surely wasn't
    > subject to warrenty replacement under such marginal evidence.

    Who said *anything at all* about a "warrenty"?

    rf, Mar 9, 2010
  6. Greg

    chuckcar Guest

    "rf" <> wrote in

    > "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >> "Greg" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I have a Dell Vostro 1500 Notebook. I recently installed Windows 7
    >>> H. Prem. on it. I also put a new 500 gig Segate 5400 rpm drive in it
    >>> also.
    >>>
    >>> I am hearing system noise when I have my earbuds plugged in. Like
    >>> when the drive is spinnnig or maybe when my mouse is moving. And
    >>> every so often it just stops. Even when I am moving the cursor
    >>> around.
    >>>
    >>> I thought it may have been my drive failing. So that is why I
    >>> replaced it.

    >> Lucky. I have no idea how you managed to get that. It surely wasn't
    >> subject to warrenty replacement under such marginal evidence.

    > Who said *anything at all* about a "warrenty"?

    And how would you know anyways?

    Name brand computers *come* with a one year hardware warrenty. I guess
    you're in the wrong group if you didn't know that.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 9, 2010
  7. chuckcar wrote:

    > Name brand computers *come* with a one year hardware warrenty.

    No, they don't, chucktard. They come with a *warranty*!

    > I guess you're in the wrong group if you didn't know that.

    We'll let you stay, though. Spell checkers are not required in this
    group. And besides, we need the comedic relief.

    --
    -bts
    -my computer came with a *three* year warrenty!

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 9, 2010
  8. Greg

    rf Guest

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > "rf" <> wrote in
    >

    >> "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Greg" <> wrote in

    >>> Lucky. I have no idea how you managed to get that. It surely wasn't
    >>> subject to warrenty replacement under such marginal evidence.

    >> Who said *anything at all* about a "warrenty"?
    >>

    > And how would you know anyways?
    >
    > Name brand computers *come* with a one year hardware warrenty. I guess

    Who said anything about a computer being under warrenty? The OP was talking
    about a new disk drive.

    > you're in the wrong group if you didn't know that.

    Of course I bloody know that. I also know how to read and understand a
    usenet post, except for yours that is.

    rf, Mar 9, 2010
  9. Greg

    Aardvark Guest

    On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 04:30:55 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > warrenty

    WTF??????????

    Aardvark, Mar 9, 2010
  10. Greg

    chuckcar Guest

    "rf" <> wrote in

    > "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >> "rf" <> wrote in
    >>

    >>> "chuckcar" <> wrote in message

    >>> Who said *anything at all* about a "warrenty"?
    >>>

    >> And how would you know anyways?
    >>
    >> Name brand computers *come* with a one year hardware warrenty. I
    >> guess

    > Who said anything about a computer being under warrenty? The OP was
    > talking about a new disk drive.

    *replacing* the one that came with it. You don't see any connection
    here?

    >> you're in the wrong group if you didn't know that.

    > Of course I bloody know that. I also know how to read and understand a
    > usenet post, except for yours that is.

    ROFL. Your last two posts to me completely disprove that even being a
    possibility.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 10, 2010
  11. Greg

    rf Guest

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > "rf" <> wrote in
    >

    >> "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >>> "rf" <> wrote in

    >>> And how would you know anyways?
    >>>
    >>> Name brand computers *come* with a one year hardware warrenty. I
    >>> guess

    >> Who said anything about a computer being under warrenty? The OP was
    >> talking about a new disk drive.
    >>

    > *replacing* the one that came with it. You don't see any connection
    > here?

    Listen you idiot, this is about your totally out of field assumption that
    something was replace under warranty.

    Here, I'll copy/paste the first bit of the OP's post, along with your
    assumption:

    <quote>

    </quote>

    Again I ask, given the actual words the OP wrote, what on earth made you
    assume there was a warranty issue involved? Please, in your reply to this
    post, underline the exact bit of the OP where a warranty of any kind is
    mentioned.

    It is only in your tiny little mind that warranty comes into it. If you
    cannot be relied upon to even read and understand the posts you come across
    how can you be expected to have any realistic input to the actual problem?

    Now, where is that underline: Put up or STFU.

    rf, Mar 10, 2010
  12. Greg

    Greg Guest

    Wow. Sorry I opened up that can of worms!!

    Greg, Mar 12, 2010
  13. Greg

    chuckcar Guest

    "Greg" <> wrote in

    > Wow. Sorry I opened up that can of worms!!

    No, just posted somewhere with *way* too many adolsecents with *way* too
    much time on their hands and parents who don't keep an eye on their
    kids. If you have ones of your own, let this be a lesson on what kids
    waste their time do on computers doing

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 13, 2010
  14. chucktardbot wrote:

    > "Greg" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Wow. Sorry I opened up that can of worms!!
    >>

    > No, just posted somewhere with *way* too many adolsecents with *way*
    > too much time on their hands and parents who don't keep an eye on
    > their kids. If you have ones of your own, let this be a lesson on
    > what kids waste their time do on computers doing

    (That paragraph *has* to have been written by a bot! A drunken one at
    that.)

    --
    -bts
    -Alcohol and Usenet: my idea of a pleasant afternoon

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 13, 2010
  15. Greg

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 19:33:07 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > adolsecents

    WTF??????????

    Aardvark, Mar 13, 2010
  16. Greg

    rf Guest

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > "Greg" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Wow. Sorry I opened up that can of worms!!
    >>

    > No, just posted somewhere with *way* too many adolsecents with *way* too
    > much time on their hands and parents who don't keep an eye on their
    > kids. If you have ones of your own, let this be a lesson on what kids
    > waste their time do on computers doing

    I'm still waiting for my underline.

    Your failure to provide it demonstrates your acceptance of your total
    ineptitude in reading and understanding usenet posts.

    Since you can not put up, STFU.

    rf, Mar 13, 2010