    Is it perhaps a simple handset volume setting? (I tried, but the user
    says that did not fix the problem.)

    , Jun 26, 2006

  2. "" <> wrote:
    >Is there a term
    >for the sound of your own voice in the
    >handset?

    Sidetone

    William P.N. Smith, Jun 27, 2006

  3. Pat Coghlan Guest

    If I recall my basic telephony, think this is a function of the handset,
    not the network. Anybody got a basic phone circuit schematic???

    Pat Coghlan, Jun 28, 2006
  4. "Pat Coghlan" <> wrote in message
    > If I recall my basic telephony, think this is a function of the handset,
    > not the network. Anybody got a basic phone circuit schematic???

    As far as VoIP is concerned, sidetone is always generated by the handset,
    such as the OP's 7940G. If sidetone is missing, odds are the phone is
    configured wrong or buggy.

    I'm not sure where sidetone comes from in POTS equipment.

    Stephen Sprunk, Jun 28, 2006
  5. "Stephen Sprunk" <> wrote:
    >I'm not sure where sidetone comes from in POTS equipment.

    In POTS equipment it's part of the hybrid device in the phone.

    William P.N. Smith, Jun 28, 2006
  6. Rick Merrill Guest

    wrote:
    > I have a user saying that he cannot hear his own voice in the handset
    > when he talks on his Cisco 7940G IP phone. First off, is there a term
    > for that particular sound -- the sound of your own voice in the
    > handset? It needs to be strong enough so that you know how loud you are
    > talking. But not too strong.
    >
    > Second, what settings on the Call Manager (Cisco 2850) would affect
    > this aspect of sound? Is this involved with the echo settings? (We
    > have tweaked those extensively -- input gain, output attenuation, etc.)
    > Is it perhaps a simple handset volume setting? (I tried, but the user
    > says that did not fix the problem.)

    In old sets you heard your own voice by default. In electronic sets you
    often do not hear your own voice - it is squelched so you can better
    hear the other part, especially if you are on a speaker phone!

    Rick Merrill, Jun 28, 2006
  7. Guest

    Sidetone is set in the Phone load - what version phone load are you
    using?

    wrote:
    > I have a user saying that he cannot hear his own voice in the handset
    > when he talks on his Cisco 7940G IP phone. First off, is there a term
    > for that particular sound -- the sound of your own voice in the
    > handset? It needs to be strong enough so that you know how loud you are
    > talking. But not too strong.
    >
    > Second, what settings on the Call Manager (Cisco 2850) would affect
    > this aspect of sound? Is this involved with the echo settings? (We
    > have tweaked those extensively -- input gain, output attenuation, etc.)
    > Is it perhaps a simple handset volume setting? (I tried, but the user
    > says that did not fix the problem.)

    , Jun 29, 2006
  8. Guest

    Our phone load for the 7940G is P00307020300

    Firmware:
    Version 7.2(3.0)
    Boot Load ID PC0303010200
    App Load ID P00307020300

    Files in the flash are:

    tftp-server flash:p00307020300.loads
    tftp-server flash:p00307020300.bin
    tftp-server flash:p00307020300.sb2
    tftp-server flash:p00307020300.sbn

    Config:
    telephony-service
    load 7960-7940 P0030702030

    CME:
    Operating System: Cisco Internetwork Operating System. Cisco IOS (tm)
    C2800NM
    Cisco IOS Software: C2800NM-SPSERVICESK9-M
    Software Version: 12.3(11)T10 / CME 3.2

    Do you advise a downgrade or upgrade to the firmware? (We originally
    went to this version to correct a problem with the sidecars not being
    recognized by the 7960G we have.)

    wrote:
    > Sidetone is set in the Phone load - what version phone load are you
    > using?

    , Jul 12, 2006