    olfart Guest

    Windows update is installing IE8 on Windows XP today. So if you don't want
    it make sure you block it
    olfart, Aug 26, 2009

  2. olfart

    joevan Guest

    On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 10:01:33 +0100, "Brian Cryer" <not.here@localhost>
    wrote:

    >"olfart" <> wrote in message
    >> Windows update is installing IE8 on Windows XP today. So if you don't want
    >> it make sure you block it

    >Odd, I'm sure I've had IE8 on my XP box for quite a while. Can't say I've
    >had any issues with it, and I prefer it to IE 7, so unless you have a good
    >reason to block it I'd let it install.

    Same here, I don't see a problem. I is on my xp machine downstairs and
    on this vista machine here in my front room.
    joevan, Aug 26, 2009

  3. olfart

    olfart Guest

    "joevan" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 10:01:33 +0100, "Brian Cryer" <not.here@localhost>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"olfart" <> wrote in message
    >>> Windows update is installing IE8 on Windows XP today. So if you don't
    >>> want
    >>> it make sure you block it

    >>Odd, I'm sure I've had IE8 on my XP box for quite a while. Can't say I've
    >>had any issues with it, and I prefer it to IE 7, so unless you have a good
    >>reason to block it I'd let it install.

    > Same here, I don't see a problem. I is on my xp machine downstairs and
    > on this vista machine here in my front room.

    it may be OK, however I have seen a few posts where trying to uninstall it
    has caused some problems so thought I'd mention it for those who are
    satisfied with IE7.....as I am at least for now
    olfart, Aug 26, 2009
  4. olfart

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news: "Brian Cryer"
    <not.here@localhost> wrote:

    > "olfart" <> wrote in message
    >> Windows update is installing IE8 on Windows XP today. So if you don't
    >> want it make sure you block it

    > Odd, I'm sure I've had IE8 on my XP box for quite a while. Can't say
    > I've had any issues with it, and I prefer it to IE 7, so unless you
    > have a good reason to block it I'd let it install.

    Many people don't use any version of IE and don't want to be bothered
    installing another piece of software they won't use.

    Avoiding unpleasant side-effects is an additional benefit to not
    grabbing every new release that comes along. There's an unfortunate
    history of MS modifying other internal pieces of Windows as new versions
    or patches to IE came along.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    Bert Hyman, Aug 26, 2009
  5. olfart

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    "olfart" <> wrote in news::

    > "joevan" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 10:01:33 +0100, "Brian Cryer" <not.here@localhost>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"olfart" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>>Odd, I'm sure I've had IE8 on my XP box for quite a while. Can't say I've
    >>>had any issues with it, and I prefer it to IE 7, so unless you have a good
    >>>reason to block it I'd let it install.

    >> Same here, I don't see a problem. I is on my xp machine downstairs and
    >> on this vista machine here in my front room.

    > it may be OK, however I have seen a few posts where trying to uninstall it
    > has caused some problems so thought I'd mention it for those who are
    > satisfied with IE7.....as I am at least for now

    Considering the near infinite combination of hardware and software not to mention malware on systems there
    are bound to be a few problems. Unfortunately newsgroups/blogs/forums tend to emphasize the problems but
    the reality is most people have updated without issue and there are some very nice features IMO in IE8.
    Fuzzy Logic, Aug 26, 2009
  6. Hi,

    Upgrading to Internet Explorer 8 will give you,

    CSS Support

    Internet Explorer 8 fully supports CSS 2.1 and more of CSS 3.

    HTML and DOM Support

    Internet Explorer 8 has improved support for HTML 4.01 and 5, also for
    DOM 2 and 3.

    Compatibility

    In terms of compatibility between Internet Explorer 7 and Internet
    Explorer 8, this area will cause you the most problems. Some objects
    you used with Internet Explorer 7 have changed to work according the
    various standards specifications. In other words, some methods,
    properties, and so on that worked in a non-standard way in Internet
    Explorer 7 now comply with standards in Internet Explorer 8.

    Better AJAX Support

    Internet Explorer 8 more easily supports backward navigation of page
    fragments. It provides better communication between pages, frames,
    sites, and domains.

    Developer Tools Built In

    You may have used downloaded and used the Internet Explorer Developer
    Toolbar.

    Accelerators

    You can make your Web services available to users as Accelerators.
    Users can add Accelerators to Internet Explorer 8 and use them
    anywhere they browse.

    Web Slices

    Like an RSS feed, you can set up portions of your Web pages that
    contain frequently updated information as Web Slices for your users.

    Search Suggestions

    Internet Explorer 8 has improved the search experience for end users.
    Many search engines offer search suggestions as users type.

    Cheers!
    Melbin Mathew
    www.talk2melbin.com
    MELBIN MATHEW, Aug 27, 2009
  7. olfart

    VanguardLH Guest

    olfart wrote:

    > Windows update is installing IE8 on Windows XP today. So if you don't want
    > it make sure you block it

    And that's a totally covert install? That is, there are no prompts for
    you to download AND install the "update"? You could block (Microsoft
    already provides a program to do that), you could update your WU list at
    the site (to never prod you again regarding that update), you could turn
    off the AU service or configure it to only check when YOU decide to
    manually check for an update, or you could just say No.
    VanguardLH, Aug 27, 2009