    what are the chances of it coming up Heads again on the 101st toss?

    A: 50%
    B: 75%
    C: 99%

    Plato, Dec 13, 2004

  2. Plato gibbered the following deranged nonsense:
    > If I took a penny and flipped it 100 times and 99 times it came up Heads
    > what are the chances of it coming up Heads again on the 101st toss?
    >
    > A: 50%
    > B: 75%
    > C: 99%

    A:50%

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    BEER!! The staff of life!!

    The Old Sourdough, Dec 13, 2004

  3. Plato wrote:
    > If I took a penny and flipped it 100 times and 99 times it came up Heads
    > what are the chances of it coming up Heads again on the 101st toss?
    >
    > A: 50%
    > B: 75%
    > C: 99%

    Just now learning about statistics? It's always 50%, the penny can't
    remember what it's done in the past.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Dec 13, 2004
  4. Plato

    Harvey Gratt Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:

    > Plato wrote:
    >
    >> If I took a penny and flipped it 100 times and 99 times it came up Heads
    >> what are the chances of it coming up Heads again on the 101st toss?
    >>
    >> A: 50%
    >> B: 75%
    >> C: 99%

    > Just now learning about statistics? It's always 50%, the penny can't
    > remember what it's done in the past.

    Only if the penny and the experiment aren't rigged. The real question
    should be "what is the probability that the experiment is rigged given
    the data?"

    Harvey

    Harvey Gratt, Dec 13, 2004
  5. Plato

    Yddap Guest

    In news:jTlvd.753770$8_6.33719@attbi_s04,
    Harvey Gratt <> opined very noisily:
    > Rôgêr wrote:
    >
    >> Plato wrote:
    >>
    >>> If I took a penny and flipped it 100 times and 99 times it came up
    >>> Heads what are the chances of it coming up Heads again on the 101st
    >>> toss? A: 50%
    >>> B: 75%
    >>> C: 99%

    >> Just now learning about statistics? It's always 50%, the penny can't
    >> remember what it's done in the past.

    > Only if the penny and the experiment aren't rigged. The real question
    > should be "what is the probability that the experiment is rigged given
    > the data?"
    >
    > Harvey

    99%
    :)
    --

    Yddap
    Remove guts to reply

    Yddap, Dec 13, 2004
  6. Plato

    Jock Strap Guest

    Plato wrote:

    > If I took a penny and flipped it 100 times and 99 times it came up
    > Heads what are the chances of it coming up Heads again on the 101st
    > toss?
    >
    > A: 50%
    > B: 75%
    > C: 99%

    A:50%. And no, it would never come up heads 99 times in a row either.
    Yes, it's theoretically possible, but practically it wouldn't happen.

    Jock Strap, Dec 13, 2004
  7. Plato

    Flying Tiger Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> schreef in bericht
    > If I took a penny and flipped it 100 times and 99 times it came up Heads
    > what are the chances of it coming up Heads again on the 101st toss?
    >
    > A: 50%
    > B: 75%
    > C: 99%

    Normally 50% cz lack off memory off penny,

    if it came 99 times head up, i would check the other side off penny,
    maybe head on both sides....

    F.

    Flying Tiger, Dec 13, 2004
  8. Plato

    Plato Guest

    The Old Sourdough wrote:

    > > If I took a penny and flipped it 100 times and 99 times it came up Heads
    > > what are the chances of it coming up Heads again on the 101st toss?
    > >
    > > A: 50%
    > > B: 75%
    > > C: 99%

    > A:50%

    False.

    Plato, Dec 13, 2004
  9. Plato

    Plato Guest

    Harvey Gratt wrote:

    > > Just now learning about statistics? It's always 50%, the penny can't
    > > remember what it's done in the past.

    > Only if the penny and the experiment aren't rigged. The real question
    > should be "what is the probability that the experiment is rigged given
    > the data?"

    Correct. For a penny to come up Heads 99% of the time it has to be
    rigged.

    The correct answer is C:

    I imagine that you Harvey dont work in a cube but have an office with a
    window :)

    Plato, Dec 13, 2004
  10. Plato

    Plato Guest

    Jock Strap wrote:

    > > If I took a penny and flipped it 100 times and 99 times it came up
    > > Heads what are the chances of it coming up Heads again on the 101st
    > > toss?
    > >
    > > A: 50%
    > > B: 75%
    > > C: 99%

    > A:50%. And no, it would never come up heads 99 times in a row either.

    False.

    Plato, Dec 13, 2004
  11. Plato

    Plato Guest

    Plato, Dec 13, 2004
  12. Plato

    Plato Guest

    Flying Tiger wrote:

    > > If I took a penny and flipped it 100 times and 99 times it came up Heads
    > > what are the chances of it coming up Heads again on the 101st toss?
    > >
    > > A: 50%
    > > B: 75%
    > > C: 99%

    > Normally 50% cz lack off memory off penny,
    >
    > if it came 99 times head up, i would check the other side off penny,
    > maybe head on both sides....

    It came up once in Tails tho :) You can do the same with modified dice.

    Plato, Dec 13, 2004
  13. Plato

    Jock Strap Guest

    Plato wrote:

    >>> If I took a penny and flipped it 100 times and 99 times it came up
    >>> Heads what are the chances of it coming up Heads again on the 101st
    >>> toss?
    >>>
    >>> A: 50%
    >>> B: 75%
    >>> C: 99%

    >> A:50%. And no, it would never come up heads 99 times in a row
    >> either.

    > False.

    Which bit? The 50% or the 99 times? And both are true, anyway.

    Jock Strap, Dec 13, 2004
  14. Plato

    Plato Guest

    Jock Strap wrote:

    > >> A:50%. And no, it would never come up heads 99 times in a row
    > >> either.

    > > False.

    > Which bit? The 50% or the 99 times? And both are true, anyway.

    Open your mind.

    Plato, Dec 13, 2004
  15. Plato

    ex cathedra Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > If I took a penny and flipped it 100 times and 99 times it came up Heads
    > what are the chances of it coming up Heads again on the 101st toss?
    >
    > A: 50%
    > B: 75%
    > C: 99%

    If the coin is unbiased, it's 50-50, just like always.

    However, the smart money here says the flipping is rigged since the chances
    of 99 heads in a row in an unbiased coin is one out of two to the 99th
    power...(you do the math)!

    ex cathedra, Dec 13, 2004
  16. Plato

    Jim Scott Guest

    ex cathedra wrote:

    > "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > > If I took a penny and flipped it 100 times and 99 times it came up
    > > Heads what are the chances of it coming up Heads again on the 101st
    > > toss?
    > >
    > > A: 50%
    > > B: 75%
    > > C: 99%
    > >

    > If the coin is unbiased, it's 50-50, just like always.
    >
    > However, the smart money here says the flipping is rigged since the
    > chances of 99 heads in a row in an unbiased coin is one out of two to
    > the 99th power...(you do the math)!

    Agreed. Coins have no memory.
    --
    Jim

    Tyneside - North East of England
    To email me directly omit the X from my address

    Jim Scott, Dec 13, 2004
  17. Plato

    Richard Guest

    Plato wrote:

    > If I took a penny and flipped it 100 times and 99 times it came up Heads
    > what are the chances of it coming up Heads again on the 101st toss?

    > A: 50%
    > B: 75%
    > C: 99%

    Since you've ruled out 50% as your correct answer, which it should be, that
    leaves two choices.
    So the answer to YOUR question is 75% because 99% is impossible given the
    conditions.

    Technically though, the answer is correctly 50% because there are only 2
    sides to the coin.

    Besides, the vast majority of coins will undoubtedly land on the "tail" side
    more times than not, due to the variance in the weight of each "side".

    ya think he bought that one eh?

    Richard, Dec 13, 2004
  18. Plato

    Trent SC Guest

    > > If I took a penny and flipped it 100 times and 99 times it came up Heads
    > > what are the chances of it coming up Heads again on the 101st toss?
    > >
    > > A: 50%
    > > B: 75%
    > > C: 99%

    > If the coin is unbiased, it's 50-50, just like always.
    >
    > However, the smart money here says the flipping is rigged since the

    chances
    > of 99 heads in a row in an unbiased coin is one out of two to the 99th
    > power...(you do the math)!

    Yes, and don't confuse "mathematical probability" and "likely outcome". The
    mathematical probability is 50%, as each event (a coin toss) is a unique
    event in its own right, without influence from other events. As other
    posters have said, the coin has no memory. It is statistically possible to
    have a coin land on tails 99 times in a row. Lunatic and more unlikely than
    my scoring tonight with Kylie, but still statistically possible.

    However, if you look at the likely outcome, you are introducing
    non-mathematical elements into the calculation. I personally wouldn't put
    half the kid's college fees on tails, and I doubt if you would either, but
    there you go.

    Trent SC, Dec 13, 2004
  19. Plato

    anthonyberet Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > If I took a penny and flipped it 100 times and 99 times it came up Heads
    > what are the chances of it coming up Heads again on the 101st toss?
    >
    > A: 50%
    > B: 75%
    > C: 99%

    None of them - it could land on its edge.
    It would be very close to but lower than 50% assuming it was an
    equally-balanced coin.
    After 99 heads I would be tempted to check it wasn't a double header or a
    trick coin in some way.
    After all, what are the chances of throwing 99 heads in a row with an
    even-chance coin?
    (very, very low).
    --
    To those that can, do the rest of us a favour - vote Kerry.
    (Don't endorse deceit).

    anthonyberet, Dec 13, 2004
  20. Plato

    anthonyberet Guest

    "Jock Strap" <> wrote in message
    > Plato wrote:
    >
    > > If I took a penny and flipped it 100 times and 99 times it came up
    > > Heads what are the chances of it coming up Heads again on the 101st
    > > toss?
    > >
    > > A: 50%
    > > B: 75%
    > > C: 99%

    > A:50%. And no, it would never come up heads 99 times in a row either.
    > Yes, it's theoretically possible, but practically it wouldn't happen.

    It just depends how many times you throw it - a 99 run of heads is 100%
    certain with an infinite number of throws.

    anthonyberet, Dec 13, 2004