Head of armed forces says we are not good enough

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by StevieO, Nov 16, 2010.

  1. StevieO

    StevieO Guest

    StevieO, Nov 16, 2010

  2. StevieO

    anyone Guest

    On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 08:50:10 -0500, StevieO wrote:

    > Another big Surprise...
    > British forces are all but gone.
    >
    > @mid.individual.net...
    > Sir David Richards, the head of British forces, has declared that" a
    > military victory against al-Qa'ida and the Taliban is not possible".
    >
    > http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ory-over-alqaida-is-not-possible-2134190.html

    Yep, such is the nature of guerilla warfare. Continuing in the article:

    "...He stressed that one cannot defeat ideas merely through fighting wars."
    "...The threat could not be eradicated, he said, but could be contained,
    in an effort to prevent attacks."

    Of course, if you have better information or a more perfect solution, please
    do let everyone know.
    anyone, Nov 16, 2010

  3. StevieO

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 16/11/2010 17:13, anyone wrote:
    > On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 08:50:10 -0500, StevieO wrote:
    >
    >> Another big Surprise...
    >> British forces are all but gone.
    >>
    >> @mid.individual.net...
    >> Sir David Richards, the head of British forces, has declared that" a
    >> military victory against al-Qa'ida and the Taliban is not possible".
    >>
    >> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ory-over-alqaida-is-not-possible-2134190.html

    > Yep, such is the nature of guerilla warfare. Continuing in the article:
    >
    > "...He stressed that one cannot defeat ideas merely through fighting wars."
    > "...The threat could not be eradicated, he said, but could be contained,
    > in an effort to prevent attacks."
    >
    > Of course, if you have better information or a more perfect solution, please
    > do let everyone know.

    Probably watched too much American Sci-Fi where a handful of Americans
    turn up at a random planet and resolve all the problems in half an hour.
    Desk Rabbit, Nov 16, 2010
  4. StevieO

    Aardvark Guest

    On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 17:18:14 +0000, Desk Rabbit wrote:

    > On 16/11/2010 17:13, anyone wrote:
    >> On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 08:50:10 -0500, StevieO wrote:
    >>
    >>> Another big Surprise...
    >>> British forces are all but gone.
    >>>
    >>> @mid.individual.net...
    >>> Sir David Richards, the head of British forces, has declared that" a
    >>> military victory against al-Qa'ida and the Taliban is not possible".
    >>>
    >>> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/head-of-armed-forces-

    says-victory-over-alqaida-is-not-possible-2134190.html

    >> Yep, such is the nature of guerilla warfare. Continuing in the
    >> article:
    >>
    >> "...He stressed that one cannot defeat ideas merely through fighting
    >> wars." "...The threat could not be eradicated, he said, but could be
    >> contained, in an effort to prevent attacks."
    >>
    >> Of course, if you have better information or a more perfect solution,
    >> please do let everyone know.

    > Probably watched too much American Sci-Fi where a handful of Americans
    > turn up at a random planet and resolve all the problems in half an hour.

    "We come in peace- shoot to kill".

    no hace mucho tiempo que vivía un hidalgo de los de lanza en
    astillero, adarga antigua, rocín flaco y galgo corredor."
    -Cervantes, 'Don Quixote'
    Aardvark, Nov 16, 2010
  5. StevieO

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Desk Rabbit <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >On 16/11/2010 17:13, anyone wrote:
    >> On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 08:50:10 -0500, StevieO wrote:
    >>
    >>> Another big Surprise...
    >>> British forces are all but gone.
    >>>
    >>> @mid.individual.net...
    >>> Sir David Richards, the head of British forces, has declared that" a
    >>> military victory against al-Qa'ida and the Taliban is not possible".
    >>>
    >>> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ory-over-alqaida-is-not-possible-2134190.html

    >> Yep, such is the nature of guerilla warfare. Continuing in the article:
    >>
    >> "...He stressed that one cannot defeat ideas merely through fighting wars."
    >> "...The threat could not be eradicated, he said, but could be contained,
    >> in an effort to prevent attacks."
    >>
    >> Of course, if you have better information or a more perfect solution, please
    >> do let everyone know.

    >Probably watched too much American Sci-Fi where a handful of Americans
    >turn up at a random planet and resolve all the problems in half an hour.

    I thought it was an alien with a British accent, a young female
    companion and a really weird blue box.

    Mike "and sometimes it takes an entire season" Yetto
    In practice they are not.
    Mike Yetto, Nov 16, 2010
  6. StevieO <> big surprised this
    from out there somewhere on the interwebs:

    > Another big Surprise...
    > British forces are all but gone.
    >
    > @mid.individual.net...
    > Sir David Richards, the head of British forces,
    > has declared that" a military victory against
    > al-Qa'ida and the Taliban is not possible".
    >
    > http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk
    > /home-news/head-of-armed-forces-says-
    > victory-over-alqaida-is-not-possible-2134190.html

    Repectfully disagreeing with the honorable Sir David Richards,
    but I'd hasten to qualify his viewpoint by the condition
    "... under [our] current sets of values and stategies..."

    You see, we could indeed carpet-bomb them out of existence;
    quite literally wipe them out; every man, woman and child
    who would not surrender their violent ways and submit to
    a new world order and rule of law.

    In fact, we could do this quite a bit less expensively
    than the path we are now following... We are trying to
    weed the garden; vis-a-vis tilling the ground and starting
    a fresh, good crop.

    The problem is liberals... "Oh the poor innocent children"
    and "We don't want [collateral damage]...", etc. "Let's
    help them rebuild their stuff..."

    Respectfully, the UK is NOT the stated target of these
    extremist groups, past their relationship with the USA and
    some tangential factions which would be no more than
    common criminals without the titles of al-Qa'ida and Taliban.

    I say that we have to do it on a Biblical scope... if not
    now; then we either surrender ourselves, or we'll have to
    do it later... That being recognized; then, give them a chance,
    a real opportunity to abide peacefully [meaningfully and
    substantively; not more lip service and histrionics about
    who did what to whom first back through the centuries].
    Or systematically start wiping them out in "Palestine"
    and proceed through Afganistan, possibly into Pakistan,
    until we get peace once and for all.

    The Brits started this mess after WW-II with their handling of
    the Israeli state as annoited by the UN, but opposed by UK...
    It insulted the UK's colonialistic patterns and methods...
    It's a political [what do the Brits call that when you stuff
    it like a turkey and play it incessently over time after time
    in a passive-aggressive fixation?] delusion; like Patton started
    the US on with USSR over his contempt-without-understanding of
    Stalin. We didn't need a 'Cold-War'. They were as afraid of
    us as we were of them; and, we were/are vastly technologically
    superior. With Muslim extremist factions, their very survival
    depends upon distorted liberal views like "violence begets only
    more violence". Bullshit! When I step on an ant, they leave me
    the heck alone. When I pick it up and place it outside, it comes
    back for its original objective - with reinforcements.

    In application, these liberal viewpoints are bureaucratically
    played out by allowing violence on the part of these Palistineans
    and Muslim extremists to initiate, and judging harshly the reponses
    of the true victims of these movements; to wit, peace-loving
    constructively-industrious people all over the globe.

    All they are selling is chaos and oppression; and I say to the
    honorable Sir David Richards, they can never prevail and they
    shall never prevail - if every American Boy Scout Troop in the
    USA has to take up arms and go do it our own damn selves! Then
    the Brits can sit back and rue the day they did not stand with
    their brothers in the war for decency, righteousness, goodness,
    and peace on Earth.

    HTH.

    --

    I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; and on the
    'AWESOMENESS METER', I am about two clicks

    You should not view the world in terms
    and finding acceptance of them as such.

    I could help you with that... but...
    I really just don't like you that much.

    Repent! The end is near! Or, smoke 'em if you got 'em...
    an-nnnn-dh... *good* "luck" - if there's an apocalypse.

    (And some condoms... because I wouldn't want to be the first guy who
    survives the apocolypse on Murray Povich staring at DNA child support.)
    Bucky Breeder, Nov 16, 2010
  7. Aardvark <> liberaled this:

    > On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 17:18:14 +0000, Desk Rabbit wrote:

    > says-victory-over-alqaida-is-not-possible-2134190.html
    >>>
    >>> Yep, such is the nature of guerilla warfare. Continuing in the
    >>> article:
    >>>
    >>> "...He stressed that one cannot defeat ideas merely through fighting
    >>> wars." "...The threat could not be eradicated, he said, but could be
    >>> contained, in an effort to prevent attacks."
    >>>
    >>> Of course, if you have better information or a more perfect solution,
    >>> please do let everyone know.

    >> Probably watched too much American Sci-Fi where a handful of Americans
    >> turn up at a random planet and resolve all the problems in half an
    >> hour.

    > "We come in peace- shoot to kill".

    "We come for peace - else we will shoot to kill."

    HTH.

    Bucky Breeder, Nov 16, 2010
  8. StevieO

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 08:50:10 -0500, StevieO wrote:

    > Another big Surprise...
    > British forces are all but gone.
    >
    > @mid.individual.net...
    > Sir David Richards, the head of British forces, has declared that" a
    > military victory against al-Qa'ida and the Taliban is not possible".
    >
    > http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ory-over-alqaida-is-not-possible-2134190.html

    The only way to win that war is not to play the game.
    All nations involved in the conflict should simply pull out. Then choke the
    waring factors of their supplies. When they have no more supplies, they
    quit.
    richard, Nov 16, 2010
  9. StevieO

    Aardvark Guest

    On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 13:46:27 -0700, §nühw¤£f wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:

    >> possible".
    >>>>>

    >> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/head-of-armed-forces-
    >> says-victory-over-alqaida-is-not-possible-2134190.html

    >> fighting

    >> be

    >> solution,
    >>> Probably watched too much American Sci-Fi where a handful of

    >> Americans
    >>> turn up at a random planet and resolve all the problems in half an

    >> hour.
    >>
    >> "We come in peace- shoot to kill".
    >>

    > Gee, with all the saber rattlin from "Stevios" corner, you'd think he'd
    > be *in* the military *serving* instead of *cheerleading* from the
    > sidelines.
    >
    > <guffaw>

    Yup. It's certainly full of hot air, isn't it? I never see any of its
    bollocks unless someone decides to reply to it and quote some of said
    bollocks.

    Aardvark, Nov 16, 2010
  10. StevieO

    Disbelief Guest

    StevieO wrote:
    > Another big Surprise...
    > British forces are all but gone.
    >
    > @mid.individual.net...
    > Sir David Richards, the head of British forces, has declared that" a
    > military victory against al-Qa'ida and the Taliban is not possible".
    >
    > http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ory-over-alqaida-is-not-possible-2134190.html

    A bit like the yanks then at Korea and Vietnam - particularly Vietnam, where
    the mighty Yank war machine took a real old drubbing for nothing.

    As for Korea, officially North and South Korea are still at war (no peace
    document was ever sighned) - so the the American armed forces are not so
    formidable after all - Now as for Afghanistan, all the United Nations
    forces fighting there will take a bloody great hammering and any peace pact
    will be negotiated rather than won by battle - just ask the Russian army who
    were the last to fight (and lose there).

    So as you can see, talking stops more wars than fighting.

    As a matter of interest, guess who supplied a vast amount of arms and
    ammunition to the the Mujahideen resistance fighters and ultimately into the
    hands of the Taliban

    Remember the phrase of Winston Churchill -To jaw-jaw is always better than
    to war-war (at the White House in 1954). But that's not the trigger-happy
    American way is it?
    Disbelief, Nov 16, 2010
  11. StevieO

    G. Morgan Guest

    richard <> wrote:

    >The only way to win that war is not to play the game.

    Okay, Joshua. How about a nice game of chess?
    G. Morgan, Nov 16, 2010
  12. StevieO

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 21:14:21 -0000, Disbelief wrote:

    > StevieO wrote:
    >> Another big Surprise...
    >> British forces are all but gone.
    >>
    >> @mid.individual.net...
    >> Sir David Richards, the head of British forces, has declared that" a
    >> military victory against al-Qa'ida and the Taliban is not possible".
    >>
    >> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ory-over-alqaida-is-not-possible-2134190.html

    > A bit like the yanks then at Korea and Vietnam - particularly Vietnam, where
    > the mighty Yank war machine took a real old drubbing for nothing.
    >
    > As for Korea, officially North and South Korea are still at war (no peace
    > document was ever sighned) - so the the American armed forces are not so
    > formidable after all - Now as for Afghanistan, all the United Nations
    > forces fighting there will take a bloody great hammering and any peace pact
    > will be negotiated rather than won by battle - just ask the Russian army who
    > were the last to fight (and lose there).
    >
    > So as you can see, talking stops more wars than fighting.
    >
    > As a matter of interest, guess who supplied a vast amount of arms and
    > ammunition to the the Mujahideen resistance fighters and ultimately into the
    > hands of the Taliban
    >
    > Remember the phrase of Winston Churchill -To jaw-jaw is always better than
    > to war-war (at the White House in 1954). But that's not the trigger-happy
    > American way is it?

    Did you know that once upon a time ago a 10 year old girl stopped two
    countries from fighting?
    Somewhere in the late 1800's I think.
    As the two countries were about to embark upon war, a gentleman stepped in
    and offered a challenge.
    "Both of you may pick out two of your top notch warriors and all they have
    to do is lift this box from this table."
    The 10 year old girl demonstrating how easy it was for her.
    The two countries picked out two very strong men and each tried to lift the
    box. Each failed. The girl lifted the box with ease.
    Obviously, the warriors were to daft to understand that there was a trick
    to the puzzle.
    The two countries agreed not to wage war.
    richard, Nov 16, 2010
  13. StevieO

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 21:14:21 -0000, Disbelief wrote:

    > StevieO wrote:
    >> Another big Surprise...
    >> British forces are all but gone.
    >>
    >> @mid.individual.net...
    >> Sir David Richards, the head of British forces, has declared that" a
    >> military victory against al-Qa'ida and the Taliban is not possible".
    >>
    >> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ory-over-alqaida-is-not-possible-2134190.html

    > A bit like the yanks then at Korea and Vietnam - particularly Vietnam, where
    > the mighty Yank war machine took a real old drubbing for nothing.
    >
    > As for Korea, officially North and South Korea are still at war (no peace
    > document was ever sighned) - so the the American armed forces are not so
    > formidable after all - Now as for Afghanistan, all the United Nations
    > forces fighting there will take a bloody great hammering and any peace pact
    > will be negotiated rather than won by battle - just ask the Russian army who
    > were the last to fight (and lose there).
    >
    > So as you can see, talking stops more wars than fighting.
    >
    > As a matter of interest, guess who supplied a vast amount of arms and
    > ammunition to the the Mujahideen resistance fighters and ultimately into the
    > hands of the Taliban
    >
    > Remember the phrase of Winston Churchill -To jaw-jaw is always better than
    > to war-war (at the White House in 1954). But that's not the trigger-happy
    > American way is it?

    Oh yeah.
    Do you know which six words not only ended the cold war between the US and
    Russia, but destroyed the Russian empire?

    "Mr. Gorbachev! Tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan.
    richard, Nov 16, 2010
  14. StevieO

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 15:55:20 -0600, G. Morgan wrote:

    > richard <> wrote:
    >
    >>The only way to win that war is not to play the game.

    > Okay, Joshua. How about a nice game of chess?

    Precisely!
    Ok how about checkers?
    richard, Nov 16, 2010
  15. StevieO

    StevieO Guest

    When will you live on your own and not with mum,dad and gramps?

    StevieO, Nov 17, 2010
  16. StevieO

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 16/11/2010 20:58, richard wrote:
    > On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 08:50:10 -0500, StevieO wrote:
    >
    >> Another big Surprise...
    >> British forces are all but gone.
    >>
    >> @mid.individual.net...
    >> Sir David Richards, the head of British forces, has declared that" a
    >> military victory against al-Qa'ida and the Taliban is not possible".
    >>
    >> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ory-over-alqaida-is-not-possible-2134190.html

    > The only way to win that war is not to play the game.
    > All nations involved in the conflict should simply pull out. Then choke the
    > waring factors of their supplies. When they have no more supplies, they
    > quit.

    Ignoring the millions of innocent civilians who will die of starvation
    and disease during this period.

    There is no easy answer but your suggestion is one of the more stupid ones.
    Desk Rabbit, Nov 17, 2010
  17. StevieO

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 16/11/2010 22:15, richard wrote:
    > On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 21:14:21 -0000, Disbelief wrote:
    >
    >> StevieO wrote:
    >>> Another big Surprise...
    >>> British forces are all but gone.
    >>>
    >>> @mid.individual.net...
    >>> Sir David Richards, the head of British forces, has declared that" a
    >>> military victory against al-Qa'ida and the Taliban is not possible".
    >>>
    >>> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ory-over-alqaida-is-not-possible-2134190.html

    >> A bit like the yanks then at Korea and Vietnam - particularly Vietnam, where
    >> the mighty Yank war machine took a real old drubbing for nothing.
    >>
    >> As for Korea, officially North and South Korea are still at war (no peace
    >> document was ever sighned) - so the the American armed forces are not so
    >> formidable after all - Now as for Afghanistan, all the United Nations
    >> forces fighting there will take a bloody great hammering and any peace pact
    >> will be negotiated rather than won by battle - just ask the Russian army who
    >> were the last to fight (and lose there).
    >>
    >> So as you can see, talking stops more wars than fighting.
    >>
    >> As a matter of interest, guess who supplied a vast amount of arms and
    >> ammunition to the the Mujahideen resistance fighters and ultimately into the
    >> hands of the Taliban
    >>
    >> Remember the phrase of Winston Churchill -To jaw-jaw is always better than
    >> to war-war (at the White House in 1954). But that's not the trigger-happy
    >> American way is it?

    > Did you know that once upon a time ago a 10 year old girl stopped two
    > countries from fighting?
    > Somewhere in the late 1800's I think.
    > As the two countries were about to embark upon war, a gentleman stepped in
    > and offered a challenge.
    > "Both of you may pick out two of your top notch warriors and all they have
    > to do is lift this box from this table."
    > The 10 year old girl demonstrating how easy it was for her.
    > The two countries picked out two very strong men and each tried to lift the
    > box. Each failed. The girl lifted the box with ease.
    > Obviously, the warriors were to daft to understand that there was a trick
    > to the puzzle.
    > The two countries agreed not to wage war.

    I suspect you meant this:-
    http://www.forteantimes.com/features/articles/151/magic_goes_to_war.html
    Desk Rabbit, Nov 17, 2010
  18. StevieO

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 08:46:36 -0700, §nühw¤£f wrote:

    > In message <ic08h6$5ar$-september.org>, "StevieO" pondered
    > the following:
    >> When will you<SLAP>

    > When will you man up and go serve your country, coward?

    If it's such a coward that it hides behind x-privat.org on usenet, how
    the hell could you expect it to have the cojones to go face to face with
    a real human being?

    It's afraid of its own shadow, evidently.

    Aardvark, Nov 17, 2010
  19. §nühw¤£f <> copy and pasted this one
    from some other one that was posted last time but originally
    by someone else a long, long time ago:

    > Gee, with all the saber rattlin from "Stevios" corner,
    > you'd think he'd be *in* the military *serving* instead
    > of *cheerleading* from the sidelines.
    >
    > <guffaw>

    <PHEWWWIIIIEEEE!> Teh Geriatric-Diaper-Boi has loaded his
    institutional-issueds again. That's why you can smell it
    so bad whilst it hides under rocks and bridges and then
    pops-out and claims others are on the "sidelines".

    If "<guffaw>" = "retarded"; then, IAWTP!

    HTH.

    --

    I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; and on the
    'AWESOMENESS METER', I am about two clicks
    better than 'TOTALLY'; so, that is why the stalkers
    trolls and retards merely worship me with their flames!

    Bucky Breeder, Nov 17, 2010
  20. StevieO

    POGO PUNY Guest

    In article <Xns9E3367EF33EBBBuckyGram@207.246.207.158>,
    Bucky Breeder <Breeder_Bucky.Breeder@That's.my.name_Don't.wear.it.out>
    wrote:

    > <PHEWWWIIIIEEEE!> Teh Geriatric-Diaper-Boi has loaded his
    > institutional-issueds again. That's why you can smell it
    > so bad whilst it hides under rocks and bridges and then
    > pops-out and claims others are on the "sidelines".

    Them dirty diapers really turn u on huh bitch boi?
    POGO PUNY, Nov 17, 2010