He gets my emails! How come?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Brando, Feb 8, 2006.

  1. Brando

    Brando Guest

    I used my son's pc last January for a few days as my modem went down and
    needed replaced. I set up an account for my email next to his in Outlook
    Express, but I removed this account after the few days I needed it. The
    thing is...'just last night and this evening, he has begun getting my emails
    on his pc but he shouldn't be as the account is no longer there. I've
    double-checked...'it really is NOT there. The fact that he's getting my
    emails is bad enough, but it brings to mind an even worse possibilty, and I
    believe that if he can get my emails on a pc not set up with my account
    details, then who else is getting my emails?! Exactly! There is some pretty
    sensitive stuff in them as well, so it's a problem. We have the same
    surnames...let's say "black". So he could be and
    I could be . I noticed a fault with the email
    from BY last night and tonight...'the server kept retutrning an error
    message saying "wrong password". Well, I didn't change it as I knew it was
    correct, and the email came thro eventually. I have a strong feeling there
    was a link between this fault and the double emails, but nothing explains
    why he is still getting my emails when my account is NOT on his pc. His pc
    has OE set up with only ONE email acount....'and that's his own. Could
    someone help me sort this out please?

    Brando.

    Brando, Feb 8, 2006

  2. Brando

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 19:36:07 GMT, "Brando" <> wrote:

    >I used my son's pc last January for a few days as my modem went down and
    >needed replaced. I set up an account for my email next to his in Outlook
    >Express, but I removed this account after the few days I needed it. The
    >thing is...'just last night and this evening, he has begun getting my emails
    >on his pc but he shouldn't be as the account is no longer there. I've
    >double-checked...'it really is NOT there. The fact that he's getting my
    >emails is bad enough, but it brings to mind an even worse possibilty, and I
    >believe that if he can get my emails on a pc not set up with my account
    >details, then who else is getting my emails?! Exactly! There is some pretty
    >sensitive stuff in them as well, so it's a problem. We have the same
    >surnames...let's say "black". So he could be and
    >I could be . I noticed a fault with the email
    >from BY last night and tonight...'the server kept retutrning an error
    >message saying "wrong password". Well, I didn't change it as I knew it was
    >correct, and the email came thro eventually. I have a strong feeling there
    >was a link between this fault and the double emails, but nothing explains
    >why he is still getting my emails when my account is NOT on his pc. His pc
    >has OE set up with only ONE email acount....'and that's his own. Could
    >someone help me sort this out please?

    Wouldn't it make sense with an issue like this to contact blueyonder
    to see if they have any known issues, rather than a international
    newsgroup?

    Evan Platt, Feb 8, 2006

  3. Brando

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 11:55:06 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

    >On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 19:36:07 GMT, "Brando" <> wrote:
    >

    >>I used my son's pc last January for a few days as my modem went down and
    >>needed replaced. I set up an account for my email next to his in Outlook
    >>Express, but I removed this account after the few days I needed it. The
    >>thing is...'just last night and this evening, he has begun getting my emails
    >>on his pc but he shouldn't be as the account is no longer there. I've
    >>double-checked...'it really is NOT there. The fact that he's getting my

    <snip>

    >Wouldn't it make sense with an issue like this to contact blueyonder

    No, see above :)

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Feb 8, 2006
  4. Brando

    cineman Guest

    ask in blueyonder.support.mail. newsgroup
    might be probs with password authentication

    cineman, Feb 8, 2006
  5. Brando

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 19:36:07 GMT, Brando wrote:

    >I used my son's pc last January for a few days as my modem went down and
    >needed replaced. I set up an account for my email next to his in Outlook
    >Express, but I removed this account after the few days I needed it. The
    >thing is...'just last night and this evening, he has begun getting my emails

    It's assumed you setup a email name on OE only and not used the BY email
    alias setup. This lets you have 5 accounts (mailboxes) each with 3
    aliases.

    If you don't use individual mailboxes then all mail is going to the
    primary_email_account_name.

    It works like this, although you must RTFM
    http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyonder/getContent.jspx?page=h_email_userguide_overview

    primary_email_account_name - alias1 , alias2 , alias3

    primary_email_account__name1 - alias1_1 , alias2_1 , alias3_1

    primary_email_account_name2 - alias1_2 , alias2_2 , alias3_2

    Each primary , can have it's own password.

    Never use primary_email_account_nameX as Reply-To / From addresses.

    And as you setup Outlook (or other mail app) accounts you have -

    Outlook name - pat.
    Tell OE to connect to server using - primary_email_account_name /
    password.
    Configure outlook - Reply-To/From (as required) using alias1(or 2 or 3).

    Outlook name - andy.
    Tell OE to connect to server using - primary_email_account_name1(or 2 or
    3) / password.
    Configure outlook - Reply-To/From (as required) using alias1_1(or 2_1 or
    3_1)

    See the BY Help & Support. For the step by step guide.

    >on his pc but he shouldn't be as the account is no longer there. I've
    >double-checked...'it really is NOT there. The fact that he's getting my
    >emails is bad enough, but it brings to mind an even worse possibilty, and I
    >believe that if he can get my emails on a pc not set up with my account
    >details, then who else is getting my emails?! Exactly! There is some pretty

    <snip>

    BTW don't post unmunged From / Reply addresses as you have. All that
    happens is you get more spam, and allow more to be generated.
    http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyonder/getContent.jspx?page=h_services_news_troubleshooting_howavoid

    Also , don't use domain names that exist, like nowhere.com , you may not
    get spam , but you must not like nowhere.com enough to increase the spam
    they get.

    http://www.apps.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2606.html
    See 2 TLDs for Testing, & Documentation Examples
    ".invalid" is intended for use in online construction of domain names
    that are sure to be invalid and which it is obvious at a glance are
    invalid.

    As it's easy to remove, don't simply do nowhere.com.invalid

    Not forgetting these newsgroups,

    blueyonder.discussion.mail
    blueyonder.users.self-help

    For fault reporting
    blueyonder.support.mail

    What are these groups?
    http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyonder/getContent.jspx?page=h_services_blueyonder

    Finally, you mentioned password / server delays.

    If you can't sort password by Selfcare
    https://selfcare.blueyonder.co.uk/IIPSC/index.do
    then the support.mail group

    For server delays / work in progress / faults , check StatusPage
    http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/status/summary.do

    Me

    why?, Feb 8, 2006
  6. Brando

    Mitch Guest

    In article <HKrGf.96142$>, Brando
    <> wrote:

    > I used my son's pc last January for a few days as my modem went down and
    > needed replaced. I set up an account for my email next to his in Outlook
    > Express, but I removed this account after the few days I needed it. The
    > thing is...'just last night and this evening, he has begun getting my emails
    > on his pc but he shouldn't be as the account is no longer there. I've
    > double-checked...'it really is NOT there. The fact that he's getting my
    > emails is bad enough, but it brings to mind an even worse possibilty, and I
    > believe that if he can get my emails on a pc not set up with my account
    > details, then who else is getting my emails?! Exactly! There is some pretty
    > sensitive stuff in them as well, so it's a problem. We have the same
    > surnames...let's say "black". So he could be and
    > I could be . I noticed a fault with the email
    > from BY last night and tonight...'the server kept retutrning an error
    > message saying "wrong password". Well, I didn't change it as I knew it was
    > correct, and the email came thro eventually. I have a strong feeling there
    > was a link between this fault and the double emails, but nothing explains
    > why he is still getting my emails when my account is NOT on his pc. His pc
    > has OE set up with only ONE email acount....'and that's his own. Could
    > someone help me sort this out please?

    Okay, you have checked his Outlook Express program.
    What about another method? Might Outlook be set up with the info? How
    about a Web site? (If you used the Web site and the browser fills in
    the password, he wouldn't need to do anything more.)

    Are you absolutely certain that these are two separate accounts, and
    not just two names for the same account? (Those are called alias
    addresses.)

    Mitch, Feb 9, 2006