    Apparently I'll still have a static IP address, but it will be a new one
    when I have my modem changed.

    Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):
    Mauricio Freitas, Aug 4, 2004

  2. "Mauricio Freitas" <> wrote in message news:<GX_Pc.1702$>...
    > Got a phone call from TelstraClear today. Since I'm using the 10mbps service
    > (a few of months now) and they found out I'm still using the original COM21
    > (mine is more than four years old now), they asked if I'd allow them to swap
    > for a Docsys modem.
    >
    > Anyone has got any experience with these? Is peformance better than my
    > current COM21?
    >
    > Apparently I'll still have a static IP address, but it will be a new one
    > when I have my modem changed.

    Did they say why they wanted you to change hardware? Or did they just
    say you had to do it?

    Maybe those old COM21 devices can be subverted to muck with accounting
    records or increase the speed etc?

    Nath
    Nathan Mercer, Aug 5, 2004

  3. Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > "Mauricio Freitas" <> wrote in message
    >> Got a phone call from TelstraClear today. Since I'm using the 10mbps
    >> service (a few of months now) and they found out I'm still using the
    >> original COM21 (mine is more than four years old now), they asked if I'd
    >> allow them to swap for a Docsys modem.
    >>
    >> Anyone has got any experience with these? Is peformance better than my
    >> current COM21?
    >>
    >> Apparently I'll still have a static IP address, but it will be a new one
    >> when I have my modem changed.

    > Did they say why they wanted you to change hardware? Or did they just
    > say you had to do it?
    >
    > Maybe those old COM21 devices can be subverted to muck with accounting
    > records or increase the speed etc?
    >
    > Nath

    The only reasons they're swapping out the Com21 modems is because they and
    the equipment they rely on are old and there are some issues with getting
    the full 10Mbps through the 10Mbps ethernet port on a Com21 modem (it's
    only half duplex).

    DOCSIS performance is much better, both in terms of latency (for various
    packet sizes) and bandwidth.
    Nigel Roberts, Aug 5, 2004

    > > Got a phone call from TelstraClear today. Since I'm using the 10mbps

    service
    > > (a few of months now) and they found out I'm still using the original

    COM21
    > > (mine is more than four years old now), they asked if I'd allow them to

    swap
    > > for a Docsys modem.
    > >
    > > Anyone has got any experience with these? Is peformance better than my
    > > current COM21?
    > >
    > > Apparently I'll still have a static IP address, but it will be a new one
    > > when I have my modem changed.

    > Did they say why they wanted you to change hardware? Or did they just
    > say you had to do it?
    >
    > Maybe those old COM21 devices can be subverted to muck with accounting
    > records or increase the speed etc?
    >
    > Nath

    Don't need to increase speed - already on 10mbps here :)

    They say it the Docsys works better with 10mbps and they wanted to move
    everyone on 10mbps to this new model. That's all.

    Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):
    Mauricio Freitas, Aug 5, 2004
  5. "Nigel Roberts" <> wrote in message
    > Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >
    > > "Mauricio Freitas" <> wrote in message
    > >> Got a phone call from TelstraClear today. Since I'm using the 10mbps
    > >> service (a few of months now) and they found out I'm still using the
    > >> original COM21 (mine is more than four years old now), they asked if

    I'd
    > >> allow them to swap for a Docsys modem.
    > >>
    > >> Anyone has got any experience with these? Is peformance better than my
    > >> current COM21?
    > >>
    > >> Apparently I'll still have a static IP address, but it will be a new

    one
    > >> when I have my modem changed.

    > > Did they say why they wanted you to change hardware? Or did they just
    > > say you had to do it?
    > >
    > > Maybe those old COM21 devices can be subverted to muck with accounting
    > > records or increase the speed etc?
    > >
    > > Nath

    > The only reasons they're swapping out the Com21 modems is because they and
    > the equipment they rely on are old and there are some issues with getting
    > the full 10Mbps through the 10Mbps ethernet port on a Com21 modem (it's
    > only half duplex).
    >
    > DOCSIS performance is much better, both in terms of latency (for various
    > packet sizes) and bandwidth.

    If this is the case I'm on!

    Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):
    Mauricio Freitas, Aug 5, 2004
  6. On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 10:51:55 +1200, "Mauricio Freitas"
    <> wrote:

    >"Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message
    >> "Mauricio Freitas" <> wrote in message

    >> > Got a phone call from TelstraClear today. Since I'm using the 10mbps

    >service
    >> > (a few of months now) and they found out I'm still using the original

    >COM21
    >> > (mine is more than four years old now), they asked if I'd allow them to

    >swap
    >> > for a Docsys modem.
    >> >
    >> > Anyone has got any experience with these? Is peformance better than my
    >> > current COM21?
    >> >
    >> > Apparently I'll still have a static IP address, but it will be a new one
    >> > when I have my modem changed.

    >> Did they say why they wanted you to change hardware? Or did they just
    >> say you had to do it?
    >>
    >> Maybe those old COM21 devices can be subverted to muck with accounting
    >> records or increase the speed etc?
    >>
    >> Nath

    >Don't need to increase speed - already on 10mbps here :)
    >
    >They say it the Docsys works better with 10mbps and they wanted to move
    >everyone on 10mbps to this new model. That's all.

    And what is the Story about the 256k Users..

    I read very confusing comments here and from TelstraClear that I have to move
    up to one of there lesser Plans after one year, and others stating you can
    stay with you existing plan..
    The GHOST of WOGER., Aug 6, 2004
  7. "Mauricio Freitas" <> wrote in message
    > > The only reasons they're swapping out the Com21 modems is because they

    and
    > > the equipment they rely on are old and there are some issues with

    getting
    > > the full 10Mbps through the 10Mbps ethernet port on a Com21 modem (it's
    > > only half duplex).
    > >
    > > DOCSIS performance is much better, both in terms of latency (for various
    > > packet sizes) and bandwidth.
    > >

    > If this is the case I'm on!

    Wow! My FTP throughput seems to be 2x now, when downloading a 35MB file
    using WS_FTP!

    Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):
    Mauricio Freitas, Aug 6, 2004