HDV (Holographic Versatile Disc) has arrived.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by GraB, Apr 1, 2006.

  1. GraB

    GraB Guest

    HDV (Holographic Versatile Disc) has arrived. No copy protection and
    now available on 1 terabyte to 5 terabyte drives and media.

    1 tera byte to 5 terabyte drives have been officially released today.
    Priced at $199 US for the burner drives for computers.
    1 tera byte media $9.95 US.
    2 tera byte media $14.95 US.
    3 tera byte media $19.95 US.
    4 tera byte media $24.95 US.
    5 tera byte media $29.95 US.

    The computer drives run on sata 2 connections and push data through at
    up to 300Mb / sec which is many times faster than the current drives
    can move data or video to.

    Terabyte players which are backward compatible with dvd players have
    the price set at $399 US. These players will record and play to divx
    media.

    HDV has turned their nose at copy protection. They will not be bullied
    by Hollywood. It is thought the new way of storage will revolutionize
    the industry. Hollywood may block this but many others will be able to
    backup their large movie collection of hundreds of dvd's straight to
    one terabyte disk.

    Software giants are all making software available for these new drives
    and media.

    HDV 1tb to 5tb drives.
    Model number: bs-hdv-001.
    sata 2 compatible.
    winxp pro compatible only.
    M$ compatible.

    HDV (Holographic Versatile Disc) web url.
    http://www.hvd-alliance.org/

    HVD has made a successful debut to European customers at IBC 2005
    September 22 , 2005.
    http://www.hvd-alliance.org/news/hotnews/n20050922.html

    OPTWARE and Fujifilm showcased HVD technology at IBC 2005 that was
    held in Amsterdam from September 9 to 13.

    Professional customers in broadcast, production and other industries
    across Europe, The United States and Asia visited the booth, and were
    amazed by the capacity, speed, security features and potentiality of
    HVD.

    HVD will be their choice of archive media for HD contents.

    http://www.hvd-alliance.org/news/hotnews/n20060302.html

    Seven Collinearâ„¢ Technology related presentations at ODS 2006 March
    Holographic recording will be the key topic of the upcoming ODS
    2006.
    OPTWARE and its allies will present seven publications related to
    Collinearâ„¢ Technology.

    Monday, April 24

    Session MA: HOLOGRAPHIC I

    MA2 09:15 - 09:45 (invited)
    Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) System, Y. Aoki and H. Horimai,
    Optware Corporation, Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan

    Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) system using Collinear Holographic
    Technologies is one of the best candidates for the ultra-high density
    and ultra-high speed removable storage media. The HVD disc structure
    and its unique selectable capacity recording format is proposed to
    assure the data interchangeability as well as upward and downward
    compatibility.

    MA4 10.00 - 10.15
    Development of a Coaxial type Holographic Disc Data Storage Evaluation
    System, Capable of 500-fps-Consecutive Writing and Reading, K.
    Hirooka, S. Seko, K. Watanabe, M. Suguki, A. Fukumoto, K. Takasaki, S.
    Kobayashi, H. Okada and S. Akao, Sony Corporation, Tokyo, Japan

    A coaxial type holographic data storage evaluation system, capable of
    500-fps-consecutive writing and reading, has been developed, whose
    light source is a semiconductor blue laser diode. This is realized by
    an image-stabilizing technique.

    Session MP: Poster Sesions & Welcome Reception 16:00 - 18:30

    MP1 Novel Optical System in HVD Drive, K. Mizunoe, T. Sasada, M.
    Matsumoto, H. Matsuda, N. Kitazaki, M. Igarashi, Y. Sakai, J. Li, S.
    Yoshino, M. Kakinuma, H. Narumi, A. Kawamura, X. Tan and H. Horimai,
    Optware Corporation, Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan

    A separation optical setup for Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) drive
    system, using Collinear Technology, is proposed. With this unique
    designed system configuration the pick-up of HVD drives can be
    read/write hologram on HVD freely.

    MP2 Demonstration of On-the-Fly Recording on HVD, N. Kitazaki, M.
    Igarashi, H. Matsuda, M. Kinoshita, Y. Kaneko, Y. Sakai, J. Li, T.
    Sasada, M. Matsumoto, S. Yoshino, M. Kakinuma, H. Narumi, A. Kawamura,
    K. Mizunoe, K. Suzuki, Y. Tsurukawa, X. Tan and H. Horimai, Optware
    Corporation, Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan
    I have to repost this from the aus.dvd group:

    Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) evaluation system based on Collinear
    Technology, which is used to evaluate a rotating HVD, is proposed.
    This system can easily be used to evaluate the specification of media
    or HVD drive system.

    MP3 HVD Servo Actuator, M. Matsumoto, H. Matsuda, T. Sasada, Y. Sakai,
    Y. Kaneko, M. Kinoshita, K. Suzuki, Y. Tsurukawa, X. Tan and H.
    Horimai, Optware Corporation, Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan

    An actuator structure and servo technology for Holographic Versatile
    Disc (HVD) drive system, based on Collinear Technology, is proposed.
    As servo technology is being introduced to control the objective lens
    to be maintained precisely to the disc, a vibration isolator is not
    necessary anymore.

    Tuesday, April 25

    Session TuC: HOLOGRAPHIC II

    TuC2 14.30 - 14.45
    Shift Selectivity of the Collinear Holographic Storage System, T.
    Shimura, S. Ichimura, Y. Ashizuka, R. Fujimura, K. Kuroda, University
    of Tokyo, Meguro, Tokyo, Japan, X. Tan and H. Horimai, Optware
    Corporation, Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan

    A numerical simulations of the signal decay with media shift were
    performed. Shift selectivity of the page did not depend on the media
    thickness, but mainly determined by the width of the reference pixel
    area.

    TuC4 15.00 - 15.15
    Optical System Designed for Coaxial Holographic Recording on
    Continuously Rotating Disc, K. Takasaki, K. Watanabe, M. Suguki, A.
    Fukumoto, S. Seko, S. Akao, H. Okada, S. Kobayashi, and K. Hirooka,
    Sony Corporation, Shinagawa, Tokyo, Japan

    We have realized a unique optical system for coaxial holographic data
    recording and retrieving on the continuously rotating disc utilizing a
    newly developed image-stabilizing technique and a CW blue laser.

    Cheers.

    Yad Sloop Lirpa.
    Tspo Siht Liops Ton Od Esaelp.

    GraB, Apr 1, 2006

  2. GraB wrote:

    > HDV (Holographic Versatile Disc) has arrived. No copy protection and
    > now available on 1 terabyte to 5 terabyte drives and media.

    > Model number: bs-hdv-001.

    The model number says it all I think.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Apr 1, 2006

  3. GraB

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message

    > HDV (Holographic Versatile Disc) has arrived. No copy protection and
    > now available on 1 terabyte to 5 terabyte drives and media.
    >
    > 1 tera byte to 5 terabyte drives have been officially released today.
    > Priced at $199 US for the burner drives for computers.
    > 1 tera byte media $9.95 US.
    > 2 tera byte media $14.95 US.
    > 3 tera byte media $19.95 US.
    > 4 tera byte media $24.95 US.
    > 5 tera byte media $29.95 US.

    Man that's a heap of porn ;-)

    Craig Sutton, Apr 1, 2006
  4. GraB

    Grant Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message

    > HDV (Holographic Versatile Disc) has arrived. No copy protection and
    > now available on 1 terabyte to 5 terabyte drives and media.

    > Cheers.
    >
    > Yad Sloop Lirpa.
    > Tspo Siht Liops Ton Od Esaelp.

    The signature says it all, read it backwards.........very good.

    Grant, Apr 1, 2006
  5. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 23:08:19 +1200, "Grant"
    <g.lovell@no_spam_xtra.co.nz> wrote:

    >"GraB" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> HDV (Holographic Versatile Disc) has arrived. No copy protection and
    >> now available on 1 terabyte to 5 terabyte drives and media.

    >> Cheers.
    >>
    >> Yad Sloop Lirpa.
    >> Tspo Siht Liops Ton Od Esaelp.
    >>

    >The signature says it all, read it backwards.........very good.

    I found it in the aus.dvd group. It is one of the best April Fools
    Day jokes I have seen. Even the links worked and the pages looked
    legit.

    GraB, Apr 1, 2006
  6. GraB

    Zonky Guest

    Zonky, Apr 1, 2006
  7. GraB

    MarkH Guest

    "Grant" <g.lovell@no_spam_xtra.co.nz> wrote in news:JatXf.10065$JZ1.384619
    @news.xtra.co.nz:

    > "GraB" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> HDV (Holographic Versatile Disc) has arrived. No copy protection and
    >> now available on 1 terabyte to 5 terabyte drives and media.

    >> Cheers.
    >>
    >> Yad Sloop Lirpa.
    >> Tspo Siht Liops Ton Od Esaelp.
    >>

    > The signature says it all, read it backwards.........very good.

    April Pools Day
    Please do not spoil this opst

    Should be fools not pools.
    Hmmm, opst? Oh - post!

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Apr 1, 2006
  8. GraB

    MarkH Guest

    GraB <> wrote in

    > On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 23:08:19 +1200, "Grant"
    ><g.lovell@no_spam_xtra.co.nz> wrote:
    >

    >>"GraB" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> HDV (Holographic Versatile Disc) has arrived. No copy protection and
    >>> now available on 1 terabyte to 5 terabyte drives and media.

    >>> Cheers.
    >>>
    >>> Yad Sloop Lirpa.
    >>> Tspo Siht Liops Ton Od Esaelp.
    >>>

    >>The signature says it all, read it backwards.........very good.
    >>

    > I found it in the aus.dvd group. It is one of the best April Fools
    > Day jokes I have seen. Even the links worked and the pages looked
    > legit.

    I followed the link and I think the page was legit. I saw nothing on the
    site to indicate that any more than 300GB media was available today. There
    was a roadmap that showed an expected progression to beyond 2TB on a HDV
    disk in the future with 300GB available in 2006.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Apr 1, 2006