    1- Are dvd's of new movies recorded in HDTV format?
    2-Do I need a special DVD player to play such a DVD to a HDTV monitor?

    KSB
    KSB, Oct 5, 2003

  2. KSB

    Mark Jones Guest

    "KSB" <> wrote in message
    news:qOYfb.40326$...
    > 1- Are dvd's of new movies recorded in HDTV format?

    No as a general rule. There have been a few HD movies released,
    but the number is fairly low. Most movies are recorded is SD
    format.

    > 2-Do I need a special DVD player to play such a DVD to a HDTV monitor?

    You will need a HD-DVD player if you want to play the limited
    number of HD videos. Most general release DVDs will work
    better if you use a progressive scan DVD player and your
    HDTV system has line-doubling capability.
    Mark Jones, Oct 5, 2003

  3. KSB

    Jay G Guest

    "KSB" <> wrote...
    > 1- Are dvd's of new movies recorded in HDTV format?

    All DVDs are in standard formats, either NTSC or PAL.
    Some transfers have been taken from High-Def sources,
    but what's actually on the DVD is in standard format.
    Of course, an anamorphic DVD will contain extra information
    for a widescreen DVD, which can be shown on a HDTV.
    But again, it's not HDTV format.

    > 2-Do I need a special DVD player to play such a DVD to a HDTV monitor?

    You don't *need* a special DVD player to play a DVD on
    an HDTV monitor. However, getting a progressive-scan
    DVD player is recommended, as it will improve the image.

    -Jay
    Jay G, Oct 5, 2003
  4. "Mark Jones" <> wrote in message
    > "KSB" <> wrote in message
    > > 1- Are dvd's of new movies recorded in HDTV format?

    > No as a general rule. There have been a few HD movies released,
    > but the number is fairly low. Most movies are recorded is SD
    > format.

    What HD DVDs have been released? The only one which is sort of an HD
    release is T2-Extreme Edition, which contains an HD res Windows Media 9
    file.

    Other than that, I can't think of any DVDs with HD video on it. The only HD
    home video releases are the DVHS releases.

    > > 2-Do I need a special DVD player to play such a DVD to a HDTV monitor?

    > You will need a HD-DVD player if you want to play the limited
    > number of HD videos. Most general release DVDs will work
    > better if you use a progressive scan DVD player and your
    > HDTV system has line-doubling capability.

    What HD-DVD players are available? It is the year 2003 right? You're not
    writing this article from the year 2005 or something are you?

    Dan
    Dan Perlberger, Oct 5, 2003
  5. KSB

    Mark Jones Guest

    "Dan Perlberger" <> wrote in message
    > What HD-DVD players are available? It is the year 2003 right? You're not
    > writing this article from the year 2005 or something are you?

    Sony has a recorder and player, but it costs as much as a very
    good HDTV set. Not likely to have very many buyers.

    http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/blu-ray/index.html

    I will run a search and see if I can find any movies for this system,
    but I would imagine the number is going to be very small.
    Mark Jones, Oct 5, 2003
  6. KSB

    > What HD DVDs have been released? The only one which is sort of an HD
    > release is T2-Extreme Edition, which contains an HD res Windows Media 9
    > file.
    >
    > Other than that, I can't think of any DVDs with HD video on it. The only

    HD
    > home video releases are the DVHS releases.

    I guess it is actually too soon for any HD-DVD titles.

    When Sony made a HD-DVD recorder/player available, I thought
    that they would have made at least a few Sony movies available.
    It would appear that you would have to record your own from
    a HD source.
    Mark Jones, Oct 5, 2003
  7. KSB

    Dan P. Guest

    "Mark Jones" <> wrote in message
    > "Dan Perlberger" <> wrote in message
    > > What HD-DVD players are available? It is the year 2003 right? You're

    not
    > > writing this article from the year 2005 or something are you?

    > Sony has a recorder and player, but it costs as much as a very
    > good HDTV set. Not likely to have very many buyers.
    >
    > http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/blu-ray/index.html
    >
    > I will run a search and see if I can find any movies for this system,
    > but I would imagine the number is going to be very small.

    Ahh, you meant the Blu-Ray recorder. I'm pretty sure that this is currently
    a recording system only, i.e. no movies are available on the Blu-Ray format
    yet.

    Dan
    Dan P., Oct 6, 2003
  8. KSB

    Richard C. Guest

    "KSB" <> wrote in message
    : 1- Are dvd's of new movies recorded in HDTV format?

    ==========
    no
    ============

    : 2-Do I need a special DVD player to play such a DVD to a HDTV monitor?

    =========
    see above
    ============
    :
    : KSB
    :
    :
    Richard C., Oct 6, 2003
  9. KSB

    Richard C. Guest

    "Mark Jones" <> wrote in message
    : "KSB" <> wrote in message
    : news:qOYfb.40326$...
    : > 1- Are dvd's of new movies recorded in HDTV format?
    : No as a general rule. There have been a few HD movies released,
    : but the number is fairly low. Most movies are recorded is SD
    : format.

    ==============
    NO DVDs have been released in HD (except for computer versions)
    ===============
    :
    : > 2-Do I need a special DVD player to play such a DVD to a HDTV monitor?
    : You will need a HD-DVD player if you want to play the limited
    : number of HD videos. Most general release DVDs will work
    : better if you use a progressive scan DVD player and your
    : HDTV system has line-doubling capability.
    :
    ==============
    There is no such thing as an HD-DVD player.
    ===============
    Richard C., Oct 6, 2003
  10. KSB

    Mark Jones Guest

    Mark Jones, Oct 6, 2003
  11. KSB

    Biz Guest

    I dont believe these have made it to market yet, the pictures in the article
    are copyrighted back in 2001, and it was supposed to go on sale in Japan in
    April of 2003, but I still dont believe the product is publicly available
    yet. It'll probably be 1-2 years after Japanese introduction b4 the rest of
    the world sees it...

    Biz, Oct 7, 2003
  12. KSB

    luminos Guest

    It was released in Japan (in very limited quantaties) in April.

    luminos, Oct 8, 2003