    thus get the cable signals? The converter sets run @ $300 ea. Last but not
    least, if I purchased the converter could I watch the cable HDTV without
    paying the extra charge?
    William Powell, Sep 25, 2005

  2. William Powell

    pcbutts1 Guest

    If your local networks broadcast in HD then you will need the set top box
    but not the cables HD, but with the cables HD you get way more channels in
    HD.

    pcbutts1, Sep 25, 2005

  3. William Powell

    FML Guest

    William Powell wrote:
    > I recently purchased a plasma TV that claims to be HDTV. Now I find that
    > this might mean that the set is HDTV "ready" and might need a "set top box"
    > converter.

    Some TVs have a built in HDTV tuner and some don't. Sounds like yours
    doesn't. Obviously you will need a tuner of some sort to capture the
    HDTV signal. There are a couple of options: You can get a tuner from
    your cable company that will show you whatever HD content the cable
    company carries (ESPN-HD, DiscoverHD, etc). These boxes typically have
    inputs for an external antenna which will allow you to pick up local HD
    broadcasts off the air (I live in Dallas, TX and we get 12+ local HD
    broadcasts over the air - free). The second option is to get your own
    tuner which will allow you to get the over the air stuff but not the
    stuff from the cable company.

    Me I have a DirecTV HD DVR. I pay DirecTV an extra few bucks a month to
    get their HD content plus I have an antenna in the attic that gets all
    the local terrestrial stuff (the DirecTV unit has 4 tuners).
    FML, Sep 25, 2005
  4. William Powell

    pcbutts1 Guest

    I have the same thing but no off air antenna. UPN and the WB broadcast in HD
    but not through DTV, what type of antenna do you use for the over the air
    stuff.

    pcbutts1, Sep 25, 2005
  5. William Powell

    FML Guest

    pcbutts1 wrote:
    > I have the same thing but no off air antenna. UPN and the WB broadcast in HD
    > but not through DTV, what type of antenna do you use for the over the air
    > stuff.

    I use a Winegard SquareShooter SS-2000 which is an amplified version of
    the SS-1000. I need the extra ooomph as I am about 35 miles away from
    the transmission towers.
    FML, Sep 26, 2005
  6. William Powell

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Ok thanks.

    pcbutts1, Sep 26, 2005
  7. "William Powell" <> wrote in

    > I recently purchased a plasma TV that claims to be HDTV. Now I
    > find that this might mean that the set is HDTV "ready" and might
    > need a "set top box" converter.
    > On top of all this my cable company says they will give me HDTV on
    > certain
    >programs for @ $12.00/mo. I am confused!!! Should I purchase a "box
    >top" and
    > thus get the cable signals? The converter sets run @ $300 ea. Last
    > but not least, if I purchased the converter could I watch the
    > cable HDTV without paying the extra charge?

    I have a simular situation. Called my cable company and they brought
    out an HD box. I didn't have to pay for the box and my cable bill is
    the same. There are some HD channels that I would have to subscribe to
    and pay more for but for the most part I don't pay any more.

    Top

    --
    Freedom is never free....
    Top (retired), Sep 26, 2005