    set. DTV has a HD receiver available for $300 bucks. I know I need a HD TV
    to receive HD broadcasts but if they are broadcasts over the air why do I
    need the HD receiver?

    pcbutts1, Oct 13, 2004

  2. "pcbutts1" <> scribbled in using a crayon

    > If I have an HDTV do I need anything else to receive HD broadcasts.
    > Over the air channels like fox, cbs, etc... will those be HDTV or do I
    > need cable. The reason I'm asking is because I have Direct TV now and
    > no HD television set. DTV has a HD receiver available for $300 bucks.
    > I know I need a HD TV to receive HD broadcasts but if they are
    > broadcasts over the air why do I need the HD receiver?

    I would tell you what to do but I have no penis, you senseless git.

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

    --
    Hideous Haiku:
    amputees ascend

    Kabitchy Cockless, Oct 13, 2004

  3. pcbutts1

    Linda Guest

    "pcbutts1" <> wrote in message
    > If I have an HDTV do I need anything else to receive HD broadcasts. Over
    > the air channels like fox, cbs, etc... will those be HDTV or do I need
    > cable. The reason I'm asking is because I have Direct TV now and no HD
    > television set. DTV has a HD receiver available for $300 bucks. I know I
    > need a HD TV to receive HD broadcasts but if they are broadcasts over the
    > air why do I need the HD receiver?

    Because it's a more complex signal. It's like having a black & white tv
    trying to receive a color transmission.

    Linda, Oct 13, 2004
  4. pcbutts1

    pcbutts1 Guest

    I guess what I'm asking is do the major networks broadcast HD over the
    airwaves or just thru cable or Direct TV. Will my high definition TV pick up
    the signal whether its cable, OTA, or direct tv alone or does it require
    additional HD equipment. For example, does my digital cable box strip the HD
    signal from the broadcast so that I will not get it even with an HDTV or
    will I still get it because I have an HDTV. Direct TV broadcasts the Fox
    networks on 2 different channels one regular and one for HD.

    pcbutts1, Oct 13, 2004
  5. pcbutts1

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, pcbutts1 mused:

    | I guess what I'm asking is do the major networks broadcast HD over the
    | airwaves or just thru cable or Direct TV. Will my high definition TV pick
    | up the signal whether its cable, OTA, or direct tv alone or does it
    | require additional HD equipment. For example, does my digital cable box
    | strip the HD signal from the broadcast so that I will not get it even
    | with an HDTV or will I still get it because I have an HDTV. Direct TV
    | broadcasts the Fox networks on 2 different channels one regular and one
    | for HD.

    The original transmission must be in HD format, the carrier must convey
    the signal to you in HD format, and you must have a means of decoding the HD
    format on your end. So, you will need some form of box on your end. No
    free channels that I am aware of broadcast an HD signal (don't even know if
    it's technically possible). So, HDTV is reliant on cable or satellite HDTV
    service for programming.

    mhicaoidh, Oct 13, 2004
  6. In article <eXabd.233470$MQ5.35784@attbi_s52>, mhicaoidh wrote:
    > Taking a moment's reflection, pcbutts1 mused:
    >|
    >| I guess what I'm asking is do the major networks broadcast HD over the
    >| airwaves or just thru cable or Direct TV. Will my high definition TV pick
    >| up the signal whether its cable, OTA, or direct tv alone or does it
    >| require additional HD equipment. For example, does my digital cable box
    >| strip the HD signal from the broadcast so that I will not get it even
    >| with an HDTV or will I still get it because I have an HDTV. Direct TV
    >| broadcasts the Fox networks on 2 different channels one regular and one
    >| for HD.
    >
    > The original transmission must be in HD format, the carrier must convey
    > the signal to you in HD format, and you must have a means of decoding the HD
    > format on your end. So, you will need some form of box on your end. No
    > free channels that I am aware of broadcast an HD signal (don't even know if
    > it's technically possible).

    Better tell ABC, NBC, and CBS that.

    http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5108854-1.html

    > So, HDTV is reliant on cable or satellite HDTV
    > service for programming.

    Obviously not true.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    BEER!! The staff of life!!

    The Old Sourdough, Oct 13, 2004
  7. pcbutts1

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Now you see why I am confused. I believe my new TV will have a built in
    tuner but I will have to check. Thanks for that info.

    pcbutts1, Oct 14, 2004
  8. pcbutts1

    Sano Guest

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 00:58:28 GMT, pcbutts1 wrote:

    > Now you see why I am confused. I believe my new TV will have a built in
    > tuner but I will have to check. Thanks for that info.

    The local PBS station in Cleveland does HDTV. WVIZ

    Sano, Oct 14, 2004
  9. In article <Uakbd.3561$>, pcbutts1 wrote:
    > Now you see why I am confused. I believe my new TV will have a built in
    > tuner but I will have to check. Thanks for that info.

    If it has a built-in tuner, which a lot of the newer ones do,
    you're good to go. Even better, dual tuners for picture-in-picture.

    The Old Sourdough, Oct 14, 2004