HDTV Question

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Thursdaynighters, Nov 23, 2004.

  1. How would people rate the typical DLP television in terms of picture quality
    (for viewing DVDs and cable tv)? Also, is anyone familiar with the Optoma brand
    of TVs (available at Costco and offering a fairly inexpensive DLP set). Here's
    the specs for one of the DLP sets I'm looking at ($2,000 and any input would be
    appreciated). Thanks.

    Tim

    50" diagonal wide-screen
    Resolution: 1280 x 720
    Aspect ratio: 16:9
    Brightness: 450 cd/m²
    Contrast ratio: 1500:1
    Non-reflective, fine-grade, 0.15 mm screen-pitch display
    HD-2 Digital Light Processing (DLP) by Texas Instruments
    DVI (Digital Video Interface) connector
    Precision Pixel Matching technology for 1:1 scan conversion
    DVDO 504 Progressive Processing for artifact-free scaling
    3D Digital Comb Filter
    Nine display formats for resizing and display
    Two Tuner PIP and POP
    Multiple connectors: DVI, BNC RGB, composite, S-Video, RF, VGA, YPbPr
    MTS Stereo/SAP
    Two 15-watt speakers
    Long lasting lamp life: 8000 hrs
    Dimensions:
    46" W x 35.5" H x 14.8" D
    Weight: 90 lbs.

    Thursdaynighters, Nov 23, 2004

  2. Thursdaynighters

    Mac Cool Guest

    Thursdaynighters:

    > How would people rate the typical DLP television in terms of picture
    > quality (for viewing DVDs and cable tv)?

    From best to worst:
    1. OTA HDTV
    2. Cable/Satellite HDTV
    3. DVD
    4. NTSC

    IMO, an HDTV is best for 1-3, a standard TV is best for 4. You'll get used
    to the lower quality standard tv, it's an easy tradeoff for the better
    picture quality from DVDs and HDTV.

    > Also, is anyone familiar with the Optoma brand of TVs

    Never heard of it, but Google has:
    http://www.hdtvoice.com/voice/forumdisplay.php?f=467
    --
    Mac Cool