    if it's blotchy, I wont pay even one cent on it. There's a sucker
    born every minute, and they mist be the ones buying the HDTVs.

    , Nov 26, 2007

  2. Phisherman Guest

    On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 09:43:45 -0600, wrote:

    >I've seen HDTVs in stores, restaurants, and many other places.
    >What's the big deal with them? They are priced about 10 or more times
    >the cost of a standard tv, and for what? Their picture is no better
    >than a newer standard tv.

    You havn't compared these two technologies side-by-side, or maybe you
    need your vision checked. And yes, HDTVs are expensive but like most
    newer electronics they have been declining in price. I have a
    slightly-used CRT monitor for sale, $5 plus shipping.

    Phisherman, Nov 26, 2007

  3. Mike S. Guest

    In article <>,
    Phisherman <> wrote:
    >On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 09:43:45 -0600, wrote:
    >
    >>I've seen HDTVs in stores, restaurants, and many other places.
    >>What's the big deal with them? They are priced about 10 or more times
    >>the cost of a standard tv, and for what? Their picture is no better
    >>than a newer standard tv.

    >You havn't compared these two technologies side-by-side, or maybe you
    >need your vision checked. And yes, HDTVs are expensive but like most
    >newer electronics they have been declining in price. I have a
    >slightly-used CRT monitor for sale, $5 plus shipping.

    Most HDTV's that I've seen in public places are poorly adjusted; and
    worse, usually displaying SD programming stretched to wide screen mode.
    Perhaps this is what the OP is seeing. I have a brother in law who, for 2
    years, has fed an HDTV set using an SD cable box using RF input; he
    insists that "this ***IS*** HDTV".

    Mike S., Nov 26, 2007
  4. Guest

    On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 16:05:33 +0000 (UTC), (Mike S.)
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >Phisherman <> wrote:
    >>On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 09:43:45 -0600, wrote:
    >>
    >>>I've seen HDTVs in stores, restaurants, and many other places.
    >>>What's the big deal with them? They are priced about 10 or more times
    >>>the cost of a standard tv, and for what? Their picture is no better
    >>>than a newer standard tv.

    >>You havn't compared these two technologies side-by-side, or maybe you
    >>need your vision checked. And yes, HDTVs are expensive but like most
    >>newer electronics they have been declining in price. I have a
    >>slightly-used CRT monitor for sale, $5 plus shipping.

    >Most HDTV's that I've seen in public places are poorly adjusted; and
    >worse, usually displaying SD programming stretched to wide screen mode.
    >Perhaps this is what the OP is seeing. I have a brother in law who, for 2
    >years, has fed an HDTV set using an SD cable box using RF input; he
    >insists that "this ***IS*** HDTV".

    If this is the case, why are the stores that are selling these tvs not
    providing a quality source? I've been to several of the electronics
    super stores and the signal was terrible. Worse yet was the Walmart
    electronics dept. Half the time there was no signal at all. Of
    course I cant expect much from Walmart who sells mostly junk. But I
    have been at restaurants and bars, and watched a few football games
    there, and I was not highly impressed. A few of those games were
    probably the best signal I had seen, but even running certain kitchen
    equipment seemed to cause picture distortion. Ok, granted, when I was
    fixing the house, my electric drill caused interference on my standard
    tv too, but static and snow are one thing, blotches and intermittent
    picture loss on HDTV are another. Dollar for dollar, I am not
    impressed with HDTV for the price, and I really dont care for any of
    the flat tv pictures. I dont know which is lcd or plasma. They all
    look the same to me. I much prefer an actual CRT tube.

    (There's nothing wrong with my eyes).

    , Nov 26, 2007
  5. Guest

    Mike S. <> wrote:

    > Most HDTV's that I've seen in public places are poorly adjusted; and
    > worse, usually displaying SD programming stretched to wide screen mode.
    > Perhaps this is what the OP is seeing. I have a brother in law who, for 2
    > years, has fed an HDTV set using an SD cable box using RF input; he
    > insists that "this ***IS*** HDTV".

    You cannot judge the quality of HDTV by looking at the sets in the
    store. Most of them are poorly calibrated and are not fed a HD signal
    to begin with.

    When the TV is reasonably calibrated, and connected to a HD source
    using a good connection (component/hdmi), the resulting picture should
    be noticibly better than DVD, especially the HD signal from those
    Saturday football games. ;)

    Since the OP is happy with a $50 21-inch TV, I doubt he's the kind
    that pays attention to picture quality, so he's not missing much.

    Raymond

    , Nov 26, 2007
  6. Richard C. Guest

    YOU, sir are either a troll or blind.

    Which is it?

    =============================

    Richard C., Nov 26, 2007
  7. Winfield Guest

    On Thanksgiving day I saw a football game on my friend's Visio HD tv.
    He had an outside antenna and was watching this HD channel over-the-air.

    The picture quality was really good. It makes your 21" standard CRT-tv
    picture look like a sick puppy.

    Comparing standard DVD and high-definition playback is a bit different.
    Not THAT huge of a difference.

    Around Feburary 2008, everything is supposed to go digital in TV-land.
    The blotchies are coming to your very own CHEAP-ass TV set, of which
    you're so proud of. Since the convertor boxes are supposed to cost
    ~$40, what a great deal. Pixelated, colorful blotchies for only 40 bucks.

    Can you beat that? :p

    winfield

    Winfield, Nov 26, 2007
  8. Mark Jones Guest

    wrote:
    > I've seen HDTVs in stores, restaurants, and many other places.
    > What's the big deal with them?

    Proof that there are still plenty of idiots in the world.

    Mark Jones, Nov 26, 2007
  9. Mark Jones Guest

    Richard C. wrote:
    > YOU, sir are either a troll or blind.
    >
    > Which is it?

    Or stupid.

    Mark Jones, Nov 26, 2007
  10. On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 09:43:45 -0600, wrote:

    >I've seen HDTVs in stores, restaurants, and many other places.

    Oh boy!

    >What's the big deal with them?

    If you do not know, you are still too immature to understand.

    > They are priced about 10 or more times
    >the cost of a standard tv, and for what?

    They are the next step in resolution. Oh, sorry... you'll have to go
    look that word up.

    > Their picture is no better
    >than a newer standard tv.

    You are incorrect.

    > My 3 year old 21 inch flat screen tv with a
    >CRT has just as good of a picture as any HDTV.

    No... It doesn't.

    > I paid $80 for it.

    You should have saved it toward getting a nice HDTV.

    >Worse yet, these HDTV's break up and get colored blotches all over the
    >screen when the signal is a little weak.

    So does your brain.

    > My tv gets a little snow on
    >weaker channels but that sure is easier to watch than blotches on the
    >screen.

    Maybe you're epileptic.

    > HDTV is just a big scam to make lots of money from a tv.

    Wrong. HDTV wasn't even conceived of by the TV makers.

    >Apparently the companies were not making enough profit selling
    >standard tvs so they came up with these crappy HDTVs so they could
    >rape consumers out of their savings.

    You need to be raped with a big, splintery NYPD broomstick handle.

    > When HDTVs come down to $50 I
    >may buy one,

    You'll die first then, idiot.

    > till then, I'm happy with what I have, and even at $50,
    >if it's blotchy,

    You're a goddamned retard.

    > I wont pay even one cent on it. There's a sucker
    >born every minute,

    Go look in the mirror, idiot.

    > and they mist be the ones buying the HDTVs.

    No. It is the idiots like you buying up old TVs that aren't going to
    work any longer soon.

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Nov 27, 2007
  11. On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 16:02:18 GMT, Phisherman <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 09:43:45 -0600, wrote:
    >
    >>I've seen HDTVs in stores, restaurants, and many other places.
    >>What's the big deal with them? They are priced about 10 or more times
    >>the cost of a standard tv, and for what? Their picture is no better
    >>than a newer standard tv.

    >You havn't compared these two technologies side-by-side, or maybe you
    >need your vision checked. And yes, HDTVs are expensive but like most
    >newer electronics they have been declining in price. I have a
    >slightly-used CRT monitor for sale, $5 plus shipping.

    Act now, and I'll send you two! You just pay extra shipping and
    handling!

    Bwuahahahahahahah!

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Nov 27, 2007
  12. On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 16:05:33 +0000 (UTC), (Mike S.)
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >Phisherman <> wrote:
    >>On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 09:43:45 -0600, wrote:
    >>
    >>>I've seen HDTVs in stores, restaurants, and many other places.
    >>>What's the big deal with them? They are priced about 10 or more times
    >>>the cost of a standard tv, and for what? Their picture is no better
    >>>than a newer standard tv.

    >>You havn't compared these two technologies side-by-side, or maybe you
    >>need your vision checked. And yes, HDTVs are expensive but like most
    >>newer electronics they have been declining in price. I have a
    >>slightly-used CRT monitor for sale, $5 plus shipping.

    >Most HDTV's that I've seen in public places are poorly adjusted; and
    >worse, usually displaying SD programming stretched to wide screen mode.
    >Perhaps this is what the OP is seeing. I have a brother in law who, for 2
    >years, has fed an HDTV set using an SD cable box using RF input; he
    >insists that "this ***IS*** HDTV".

    You should use my words on him then, by telling him "You are retarded!"

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Nov 27, 2007
  13. On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 16:10:28 -0600, wrote:

    >On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 16:05:33 +0000 (UTC), (Mike S.)
    >wrote:
    >

    >>In article <>,
    >>Phisherman <> wrote:

    >>>You havn't compared these two technologies side-by-side, or maybe you
    >>>need your vision checked. And yes, HDTVs are expensive but like most
    >>>newer electronics they have been declining in price. I have a
    >>>slightly-used CRT monitor for sale, $5 plus shipping.

    >>Most HDTV's that I've seen in public places are poorly adjusted; and
    >>worse, usually displaying SD programming stretched to wide screen mode.
    >>Perhaps this is what the OP is seeing. I have a brother in law who, for 2
    >>years, has fed an HDTV set using an SD cable box using RF input; he
    >>insists that "this ***IS*** HDTV".
    >>

    >If this is the case, why are the stores that are selling these tvs not
    >providing a quality source? I've been to several of the electronics
    >super stores and the signal was terrible. Worse yet was the Walmart
    >electronics dept. Half the time there was no signal at all. Of
    >course I cant expect much from Walmart who sells mostly junk.

    You're a goddamned retard. They sell as many name brand models as the
    next store down the street does.

    It simply boils down to you being a clueless bastard.

    > But I
    >have been at restaurants and bars, and watched a few football games
    >there, and I was not highly impressed.

    You have to know what the word means first, and your IQ is too low for
    that.

    > A few of those games were
    >probably the best signal I had seen, but even running certain kitchen
    >equipment seemed to cause picture distortion.

    You're an idiot.

    > Ok, granted, when I was
    >fixing the house, my electric drill caused interference on my standard
    >tv too, but static and snow are one thing, blotches and intermittent
    >picture loss on HDTV are another.

    Your brain is blotched.

    > Dollar for dollar, I

    Dollar for dollar, you don't know what the **** you are talking about,
    little boy.

    > am not
    >impressed with HDTV for the price, and I really dont care for any of
    >the flat tv pictures.

    You're a brainless twit.

    > I dont know which is lcd or plasma. They all
    >look the same to me.

    More proof that you are retarded.

    > I much prefer an actual CRT tube.

    reach into one and grab hold of the anode lead, preferably under the
    insulator cap. Do us all a favor.

    >(There's nothing wrong with my eyes).

    It is your brain, boy. Your IQ has to be over 30 to understand, and you
    rest at about ten.

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Nov 27, 2007
  14. On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 22:11:18 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

    >Mike S. <> wrote:
    >
    >> Most HDTV's that I've seen in public places are poorly adjusted; and
    >> worse, usually displaying SD programming stretched to wide screen mode.
    >> Perhaps this is what the OP is seeing. I have a brother in law who, for 2
    >> years, has fed an HDTV set using an SD cable box using RF input; he
    >> insists that "this ***IS*** HDTV".

    >You cannot judge the quality of HDTV by looking at the sets in the
    >store. Most of them are poorly calibrated and are not fed a HD signal
    >to begin with.

    Most FPDs are quite well calibrated right out of the box.

    >When the TV is reasonably calibrated, and connected to a HD source
    >using a good connection (component/hdmi), the resulting picture should
    >be noticibly better than DVD, especially the HD signal from those
    >Saturday football games. ;)
    >
    >Since the OP is happy with a $50 21-inch TV, I doubt he's the kind
    >that pays attention to picture quality, so he's not missing much.

    I doubt he has the aptitude to know what "picture quality" even is.

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Nov 27, 2007
  15. On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 14:25:38 -0800, "Richard C." <>
    wrote:

    >YOU, sir are either a troll or blind.
    >
    >Which is it?
    >
    >=============================

    Both are better than being a top posting Usenet troll retard.

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Nov 27, 2007
  16. On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 15:32:03 -0700, Winfield <>
    wrote:

    >Comparing standard DVD and high-definition playback is a bit different.
    > Not THAT huge of a difference.

    You're an idiot if that's what you think. You were probably watching
    the DVD on an upscaling player, but the difference should still have been
    notable.

    There is a HUGE difference between Std DVD and either HD version.

    The place where the difference is the least, is where a digital master
    was utilized from the get go, such as in the King Kong release, yet the
    difference is STILL markedly notable.

    The place where it is very easy to see is like Full Metal Jacket, were
    the DVD is so grainy and jaggy, and BOTH the HD as well as the
    re-,mastered HD are near film like quality.

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Nov 27, 2007
  17. Kimba W Lion Guest

    wrote:

    >When HDTVs come down to $50 I
    >may buy one, till then, I'm happy with what I have, and even at $50,
    >if it's blotchy, I wont pay even one cent on it.

    So, don't.

    Kimba W Lion, Nov 27, 2007
  18. Netmask Guest

    snip

    > (There's nothing wrong with my eyes).

    How old are you?
    Do you wear glasses?

    Netmask, Nov 27, 2007
  19. Guest

    On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 16:54:01 -0800, ChairmanOfTheBored
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 16:10:28 -0600, wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 16:05:33 +0000 (UTC), (Mike S.)
    >>wrote:

    >>>Most HDTV's that I've seen in public places are poorly adjusted; and
    >>>worse, usually displaying SD programming stretched to wide screen mode.
    >>>Perhaps this is what the OP is seeing. I have a brother in law who, for 2
    >>>years, has fed an HDTV set using an SD cable box using RF input; he
    >>>insists that "this ***IS*** HDTV".
    >>>

    >>If this is the case, why are the stores that are selling these tvs not
    >>providing a quality source? I've been to several of the electronics
    >>super stores and the signal was terrible. Worse yet was the Walmart
    >>electronics dept. Half the time there was no signal at all. Of
    >>course I cant expect much from Walmart who sells mostly junk.

    > You're a goddamned retard. They sell as many name brand models as the
    >next store down the street does.
    >
    > It simply boils down to you being a clueless bastard.
    >
    >> But I
    >>have been at restaurants and bars, and watched a few football games
    >>there, and I was not highly impressed.

    > You have to know what the word means first, and your IQ is too low for
    >that.
    >
    >> A few of those games were
    >>probably the best signal I had seen, but even running certain kitchen
    >>equipment seemed to cause picture distortion.

    > You're an idiot.
    >
    >> Ok, granted, when I was
    >>fixing the house, my electric drill caused interference on my standard
    >>tv too, but static and snow are one thing, blotches and intermittent
    >>picture loss on HDTV are another.

    > Your brain is blotched.
    >
    >> Dollar for dollar, I

    > Dollar for dollar, you don't know what the **** you are talking about,
    >little boy.
    >
    >> am not
    >>impressed with HDTV for the price, and I really dont care for any of
    >>the flat tv pictures.

    > You're a brainless twit.
    >
    >> I dont know which is lcd or plasma. They all
    >>look the same to me.

    > More proof that you are retarded.
    >
    >> I much prefer an actual CRT tube.

    > reach into one and grab hold of the anode lead, preferably under the
    >insulator cap. Do us all a favor.
    >
    >>(There's nothing wrong with my eyes).

    > It is your brain, boy. Your IQ has to be over 30 to understand, and you
    >rest at about ten.

    People with foul attitudes like you should not be allowed to own
    computers.

    * * * PLONK * * *

    , Nov 27, 2007

    **** you, retard! Ever heard of free speech?