HDMI switch?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Doug Jacobs, Jan 3, 2008.

  1. Doug Jacobs

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    Collecting opinions here...

    Due to unexpected developments, I find myself needing a HDMI switch. It
    needs to support 1080p, with 4 or more ports while not costing an arm and
    a leg.

    Just for kicks, I went shopping in the neighborhood, and found a few
    switches. Frys had some for $80 (3 port) to $250 (4 port) but with many of
    the boxes being returns, that's never a good sign. Traget had a 3 port
    switch for $150. Best Buy had none. The clerk just stared at me blankly for
    a few seconds, then tried to sell me a $250 HDMI cable from Monster Cable.

    With a service contract. *snicker*

    Looking online, mainly at NewEgg and Amazon. Prices are better, but with
    user reviews saying things like "By the way, if you have a PS3, you MUST use
    port #3, or it won't work..." I don't have a whole lot of faith in these
    things...

    Why would the PS3 "only" work on port 3? Isn't HDMI just HDMI? The switch
    doesn't even have to do anything to the data stream - just pass the bits
    from the selected input port to the output port - how hard can that be?
    (yeah yeah...don't question stupidity - it'll always exceed your
    expectations.)

    --
    It's not broken. It's...advanced.

    Doug Jacobs, Jan 3, 2008

  2. Doug Jacobs

    Guest

    Doug Jacobs wrote:

    > Collecting opinions here...
    >
    > Due to unexpected developments, I find myself needing a HDMI switch. It
    > needs to support 1080p, with 4 or more ports while not costing an arm and
    > a leg.
    >
    > Just for kicks, I went shopping in the neighborhood, and found a few
    > switches. Frys had some for $80 (3 port) to $250 (4 port) but with many of
    > the boxes being returns, that's never a good sign. Traget had a 3 port
    > switch for $150. Best Buy had none. The clerk just stared at me blankly for
    > a few seconds, then tried to sell me a $250 HDMI cable from Monster Cable.
    >
    > With a service contract. *snicker*
    >
    > Looking online, mainly at NewEgg and Amazon. Prices are better, but with
    > user reviews saying things like "By the way, if you have a PS3, you MUST use
    > port #3, or it won't work..." I don't have a whole lot of faith in these
    > things...
    >
    > Why would the PS3 "only" work on port 3? Isn't HDMI just HDMI? The switch
    > doesn't even have to do anything to the data stream - just pass the bits
    > from the selected input port to the output port - how hard can that be?
    > (yeah yeah...don't question stupidity - it'll always exceed your
    > expectations.)
    >
    > --
    > It's not broken. It's...advanced.

    I have a TigerDirect catalogue that lists a Impact Acoustics 5 Port HDMI
    Selector Switch for $99.00 that supports 1080p. That's all the info I
    have.
    Good Luck,
    -Bill

    , Jan 3, 2008

  3. Doug Jacobs

    Kuskokwim Guest

    On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 01:33:46 -0000, Doug Jacobs wrote:

    > Collecting opinions here...
    >
    > Due to unexpected developments, I find myself needing a HDMI switch. It
    > needs to support 1080p, with 4 or more ports while not costing an arm and
    > a leg.

    Try one of these:
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110
    I use a 3X1 with remote and it works perfectly.

    Kuskokwim, Jan 3, 2008