    can be seen on the tv screen.

    Help will be appreciated.

    Peter
    Peter Studt, Sep 15, 2005

  2. Peter Studt

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Peter Studt () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > I am considering purchasing a dvd player with an hdmi output as I have heard
    > such good things about the picture. However, the cables can be expensive.
    > How much do I really need to spend on a cable? They range from $8 to over
    > $100 for a 6' cable, and I have heard that a cheap cable will drop info that
    > can be seen on the tv screen.

    Although this is true, because HDMI carries digital signals with error
    correction, it takes a really crappy cable to cause visible problems.

    My advice is to buy the cheapest cable you can find at WalMart and return
    it if it doesn't work. Then, work your way up through more expensive
    cables (and possibly other stores that have the same kind of return
    policy). As long as you stop once you find a cable that works for you,
    there's nothing wrong with doing this, since you are only returning the
    cable if it is broken (i.e., if you get errors on the screen).

    --
    Jeff Rife |
    Jeff Rife, Sep 15, 2005

  3. Peter Studt

    TSKO Guest

    "Jeff Rife" <> wrote in message
    > Peter Studt () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >> I am considering purchasing a dvd player with an hdmi output as I have
    >> heard
    >> such good things about the picture. However, the cables can be expensive.
    >> How much do I really need to spend on a cable? They range from $8 to over
    >> $100 for a 6' cable, and I have heard that a cheap cable will drop info
    >> that
    >> can be seen on the tv screen.

    > Although this is true, because HDMI carries digital signals with error
    > correction, it takes a really crappy cable to cause visible problems.
    >
    > My advice is to buy the cheapest cable you can find at WalMart and return
    > it if it doesn't work. Then, work your way up through more expensive
    > cables (and possibly other stores that have the same kind of return
    > policy). As long as you stop once you find a cable that works for you,
    > there's nothing wrong with doing this, since you are only returning the
    > cable if it is broken (i.e., if you get errors on the screen).
    >
    > --
    > Jeff Rife |
    > | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/RhymesWithOrange/MailerDaemon.gif

    I just went through this. I had major sticker shock when I saw the price of
    the cable. I was able to find one at Radio Shack for $60 on closeout.
    Seems to work good though..no complaints. Man, cables are pricey.
    TSKO, Sep 15, 2005
  4. Peter Studt

    Galley Guest

    On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 17:02:02 GMT, "Peter Studt" <> spewed
    forth these words of wisdom:

    >I am considering purchasing a dvd player with an hdmi output as I have heard
    >such good things about the picture. However, the cables can be expensive.
    >How much do I really need to spend on a cable? They range from $8 to over
    >$100 for a 6' cable, and I have heard that a cheap cable will drop info that
    >can be seen on the tv screen.
    >
    >Help will be appreciated.
    >
    >Peter

    Target sells HDMI cables for $35 or so.

    --
    Galley's Music Scene
    A different music topic every weekday
    Galley, Sep 16, 2005
  5. Peter Studt

    fredman Guest

    On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 22:52:11 -0400, Galley
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 17:02:02 GMT, "Peter Studt" <> spewed
    >forth these words of wisdom:
    >
    >>I am considering purchasing a dvd player with an hdmi output as I have heard
    >>such good things about the picture. However, the cables can be expensive.
    >>How much do I really need to spend on a cable? They range from $8 to over
    >>$100 for a 6' cable, and I have heard that a cheap cable will drop info that
    >>can be seen on the tv screen.
    >>
    >>Help will be appreciated.
    >>
    >>Peter
    >>

    >Target sells HDMI cables for $35 or so.

    Yeah, I saw one at Walmart for ~$49, and also saw an HDMI to DVI
    converter cable (my now older WEGA hi-scan came equipped with a DVI
    port that I've never used) for ~$45. I've wanted to look into a new
    player that supports upscaling to 720p or 1080i but they only do it
    via HDMI. Anyone run this conversion? and how well does it work?
    Cheers.
    fredman, Sep 16, 2005
  6. Peter Studt

    Jeff Rife Guest

    fredman () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > Yeah, I saw one at Walmart for ~$49, and also saw an HDMI to DVI
    > converter cable (my now older WEGA hi-scan came equipped with a DVI
    > port that I've never used) for ~$45. I've wanted to look into a new
    > player that supports upscaling to 720p or 1080i but they only do it
    > via HDMI. Anyone run this conversion? and how well does it work?

    An HDMI cable is just a DVI cable with extra wires for audio and different
    connectors. The "converter" just gets the right wires lined up.

    But, you probably won't be able to use such a converter with an up-converting
    DVD player, because they require HDCP, and very few displays with just DVI
    support HDCP.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "Only one human captain has ever survived battle
    Jeff Rife, Sep 16, 2005
  7. Peter Studt

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Jeff Rife" <> wrote in message
    > But, you probably won't be able to use such a converter with an
    > up-converting
    > DVD player, because they require HDCP, and very few displays with just
    > DVI
    > support HDCP.

    That's not necessarily true. There are a number of DVI displays that
    support HDCP. It's just the oldest DVI models that don't, because HDCP
    was developed later.
    Joshua Zyber, Sep 17, 2005
  8. Peter Studt

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Joshua Zyber () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > That's not necessarily true. There are a number of DVI displays that
    > support HDCP. It's just the oldest DVI models that don't, because HDCP
    > was developed later.

    This generally is only true for fixed-pixel displays that are aimed
    primarily at the computer market. There are a few "TVs" with DVI (but no
    HDMI) that support HDCP, but most TVs jumped straight to HDMI because
    the connectors are cheaper.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "The Babylon Project was our last, best hope

    Jeff Rife, Sep 17, 2005
  9. Peter Studt

    fredman Guest

    On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 16:59:49 -0400, Jeff Rife <> wrote:

    >fredman () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >> Yeah, I saw one at Walmart for ~$49, and also saw an HDMI to DVI
    >> converter cable (my now older WEGA hi-scan came equipped with a DVI
    >> port that I've never used) for ~$45. I've wanted to look into a new
    >> player that supports upscaling to 720p or 1080i but they only do it
    >> via HDMI. Anyone run this conversion? and how well does it work?

    >An HDMI cable is just a DVI cable with extra wires for audio and different
    >connectors. The "converter" just gets the right wires lined up.
    >
    >But, you probably won't be able to use such a converter with an up-converting
    >DVD player, because they require HDCP, and very few displays with just DVI
    >support HDCP.

    Well, it may work then. This is a KV-32HS510; per the manual features
    page:

    "Digital Visual Interface (DVI): Can accomodate a copy-protected
    digital connection (HDCP*) to other devices (such as digtal set-top
    boxes) that have compatible interfaces. The DVI-HDTV input terminal
    is compliant with the EIA-861 standard and is not intended for use
    with personal computers."

    *High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection
    fredman, Sep 18, 2005
  10. Peter Studt

    Nate Guest

    Go to http://www.pacificcable.com/ , they have high quality HDMI cables for
    WAY less than you'll find in Best Buy or Circuit city.

    Nate.

    Nate, Sep 19, 2005
  11. Peter Studt

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Nate () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > Go to http://www.pacificcable.com/ , they have high quality HDMI cables for
    > WAY less than you'll find in Best Buy or Circuit city.

    You can also get similar cables even cheaper still:

    http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q="hdmi cable" 2m&scoring=p

    2-meter HDMI cables for less than $25 including shipping from a lot of
    reputable companies.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "...the flames began at a prophylactic recycling

    Jeff Rife, Sep 19, 2005
  12. Peter Studt

    John Guest

    With HDMI cables around $35-$100, if you buy an upconverting DVD
    player in the $130+ range some of them (at least the 3 I tried)
    include 6' HDMI cables which effectively lowers the cost of the DVD
    player by $35-$50.
    John, Sep 22, 2005