HDMI Cable Question, etc.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Dec 20, 2007.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello,

    a. Regarding these relatively new interconnections called " HDMI ":

    Do they also carry the audio signal between, e.g., a DVD and a digital TV,
    or only the digital TV signal ?

    b. Might as well also ask this, as I'm really curious.

    My son just got a new Westinghouse high def set.
    He uses Comcast for his TV service.

    The manual says:

    "The Electronic Program GuideYour Westinghouse High Definition LCD TV
    has an Electronic Program Guide (EPG) to help you navigate through all the
    possible viewing options. The EPG supplies information, such as program
    lists, the start and end times of all available channels, and a detailed
    description of the program. The availability and the amount of program
    details will varydepending on the broadcaster. You can use the 'Guide'
    button on the remote control or select EPG from the TV OSD menu to display
    the Electronic Program Guide. The EPG begins its list with the channel that
    is currently active."

    So, where does the TV get this schedule information from; presumably updated
    daily or at least frequently ?

    Is it encoded in the actual program signals that it receives ?

    From Comcast ? Or,...?

    There is no phone hookup, like a TiVo uses to get it's schedule information.

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Dec 20, 2007

  2. On 2007-12-20, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Robert11 waxed eloquently:
    > Hello,
    >
    > a. Regarding these relatively new interconnections called " HDMI ":
    >
    > Do they also carry the audio signal between, e.g., a DVD and a digital TV,
    > or only the digital TV signal ?
    >
    > b. Might as well also ask this, as I'm really curious.
    >
    > My son just got a new Westinghouse high def set.
    > He uses Comcast for his TV service.
    >
    > The manual says:
    >
    > "The Electronic Program GuideYour Westinghouse High Definition LCD TV
    > has an Electronic Program Guide (EPG) to help you navigate through all the
    > possible viewing options. The EPG supplies information, such as program
    > lists, the start and end times of all available channels, and a detailed
    > description of the program. The availability and the amount of program
    > details will varydepending on the broadcaster. You can use the 'Guide'
    > button on the remote control or select EPG from the TV OSD menu to display
    > the Electronic Program Guide. The EPG begins its list with the channel that
    > is currently active."
    >
    > So, where does the TV get this schedule information from; presumably updated
    > daily or at least frequently ?
    >
    > Is it encoded in the actual program signals that it receives ?
    >
    > From Comcast ? Or,...?
    >
    > There is no phone hookup, like a TiVo uses to get it's schedule information.

    Take a look here:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_program_guide

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    Q: What's the difference between a dead dog in the road and a dead

    The Old Sourdough, Dec 20, 2007

  3. Robert11 wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > a. Regarding these relatively new interconnections called " HDMI ":
    >
    > Do they also carry the audio signal between, e.g., a DVD and a digital TV,
    > or only the digital TV signal ?
    >
    > b. Might as well also ask this, as I'm really curious.
    >
    > My son just got a new Westinghouse high def set.
    > He uses Comcast for his TV service.
    >
    > The manual says:
    >
    > "The Electronic Program GuideYour Westinghouse High Definition LCD TV
    > has an Electronic Program Guide (EPG) to help you navigate through all the
    > possible viewing options. The EPG supplies information, such as program
    > lists, the start and end times of all available channels, and a detailed
    > description of the program. The availability and the amount of program
    > details will varydepending on the broadcaster. You can use the 'Guide'
    > button on the remote control or select EPG from the TV OSD menu to display
    > the Electronic Program Guide. The EPG begins its list with the channel
    > that is currently active."
    >
    > So, where does the TV get this schedule information from; presumably
    > updated daily or at least frequently ?
    >
    > Is it encoded in the actual program signals that it receives ?
    >
    > From Comcast ? Or,...?
    >
    > There is no phone hookup, like a TiVo uses to get it's schedule
    > information.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    HDMI can send video as well as audio. See:

    http://www.audioholics.com/education/display-formats-technology/hdmi-interface-a-beginners-guide

    As for the schedule information, it all depends on Comcast...

    --

    Jerry McBride ()

    Jerry McBride, Dec 20, 2007
  4. Robert11

    doS Guest

    take the tv back you are too stoopid to use it

    doS, Dec 23, 2007