    Thanks,
    CREAM

    , Nov 8, 2004

  2. Steinar Haug Guest

    []

    | I know that HDLC is a data link protocol but in a book that I'm reading
    | it says it operates over WANS. So, can you send frames over wans
    | because the data link layer of the osi model deals with frames and hdlc
    | is in the data link layer.

    It's important to differentiate between ISO/ITU HDLC, and "Cisco HDLC".
    ISO/ITU HDLC is a synchronous bit-transparent protocol. It doesn't care
    whether you use it to send packetized information (frames) or something
    else.

    "Cisco HDLC" is an L2 encapsulation protol which, like PPP, is based on
    the ISO/ITU HDLC frame structure.

    Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting,

    Steinar Haug, Nov 8, 2004