    that IBM is good and WD isn't as good.

    Any suggestions or past experiences?

    thx
    feRRetS_inc, Jan 14, 2004

  2. feRRetS_inc

    Thor Guest

    IBM=Hitachi these days. IBM went down in flames with their reviled GXP
    series which was plagued with massive failures. Shortly thereafter they
    announced that they were getting out of the harddrive storage market, and
    Hitachi took it over. I don't know if they are any good these days. Haven't
    seen or read of them lately. Western Digital appears to have their act
    together now, and their stuff rocks, IMHO. Seagate isn't too bad if you are
    looking for a cheap replacement. I've been hearing of more and more trouble
    with Maxtor stuff as of late, so I'm not really enthusiastic about them at
    the moment.

    Thor, Jan 14, 2004

  3. feRRetS_inc

    Adam Steiner Guest

    > hi all
    >
    > I'm currently considerin' Western Digital or Seagate, but i've been told
    > that IBM is good and WD isn't as good.
    >
    > Any suggestions or past experiences?
    >
    > thx

    I'm using a 120GB and 200GB , both from WD. IBM had a bad run with their
    Deskstar series (not sure which models specifically). All of the machines
    I've built have used WD drives and none (about 50 in the past year and a
    half) have gone bad.

    --Adam
    Adam Steiner, Jan 14, 2004
  4. feRRetS_inc

    bambam Guest

    "feRRetS_inc" <> wrote in

    > hi all
    >
    > I'm currently considerin' Western Digital or Seagate, but i've
    > been told that IBM is good and WD isn't as good.
    >
    > Any suggestions or past experiences?

    I haven't got a suggestion on a brand, more a type.
    Most drives now days have a 2MB cache and come with a 12 month
    warranty, where as for a small price difference you can get a HDD with
    a 8MB cache and a 36 month warranty. Better performance and a longer
    warranty for a few dollars, well worth it IMHO.

    --
    Generally speaking, you aren't learning much when your mouth is moving.
    bambam, Jan 14, 2004
  5. feRRetS_inc

    Night_Seer Guest

    Thor wrote:
    > IBM=Hitachi these days. IBM went down in flames with their reviled GXP
    > series which was plagued with massive failures. Shortly thereafter
    > they announced that they were getting out of the harddrive storage
    > market, and Hitachi took it over. I don't know if they are any good
    > these days. Haven't seen or read of them lately. Western Digital
    > appears to have their act together now, and their stuff rocks, IMHO.
    > Seagate isn't too bad if you are looking for a cheap replacement.
    > I've been hearing of more and more trouble with Maxtor stuff as of
    > late, so I'm not really enthusiastic about them at the moment.
    >

    > ..
    > "feRRetS_inc" <> wrote in message
    >> hi all
    >>
    >> I'm currently considerin' Western Digital or Seagate, but i've been
    >> told that IBM is good and WD isn't as good.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions or past experiences?
    >>
    >> thx

    Agreed...actually the seagates aren't that much cheaper unless you find
    one with a mail-in rebate (though those are getting much more common).
    I just bought one and it works great. WD are the bees knees. Maxtor,
    not so much.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Jan 14, 2004
  6. feRRetS_inc

    John Guest

    >I haven't got a suggestion on a brand, more a type.
    >Most drives now days have a 2MB cache and come with a 12 month
    >warranty, where as for a small price difference you can get a HDD with
    >a 8MB cache and a 36 month warranty. Better performance and a longer
    >warranty for a few dollars, well worth it IMHO.

    That's a top suggestion. I've just recently purchased a Western
    Digital 120GB Caviar drive with 8MB cache and it is running like a
    dream.

    I also have a really old Quantum 20GB ATA66 drive in the same computer
    as well as an IBM Deskstar 40GB drive (ATA133 I think).

    The IBM drive I remember was a bit of a hassle to set up but once I
    got it going it had been fine since.

    I did have one other Quantum 40GB drive but that crashed on me after
    only 5 or 6 months, but I guess that can happen with any company,
    sometimes drives do crash so it's important to always backup.

    John
    John, Jan 14, 2004
  7. I think your qualifier 'at the moment' is especially apropos. Drive
    quality seems to vary over time-possibly by models, possibly just due to
    management issues. (Management often seems to regard a reputation as a
    'hard' asset with a significant lifespan. Once it's established they
    often ignore it with the result that quality suffers & the reputation
    disappears. Then management refocuses on quality & over time the
    reputation is regained, only to have management make the same mistake
    all over again.)

    Calvin Crumrine, Jan 14, 2004