    simultaneously.

    --
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, Apr 21, 2007

  2. Ray Greene

    Ken Guest

    On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 10:05:07 +1200, Ray Greene <> wrote:

    >Can anyone recommend a good hard drive temperature monitor app for
    >Windows? I need one that will display temps for 4 drives
    >simultaneously.

    This one is great, shows temp on all drives in the taskbar, a bit old but it works.

    DTEMP or HDTEMP when installed.

    http://private.peterlink.ru/tochinov/
    Ken , Apr 22, 2007

  3. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 11:25:41 +1200, Ken wrote:

    >On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 10:05:07 +1200, Ray Greene <> wrote:
    >
    >>Can anyone recommend a good hard drive temperature monitor app for
    >>Windows? I need one that will display temps for 4 drives
    >>simultaneously.

    >This one is great, shows temp on all drives in the taskbar, a bit old but it works.
    >

    >DTEMP or HDTEMP when installed.
    >
    >http://private.peterlink.ru/tochinov/

    That's a good one, thanks.

    --
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, Apr 22, 2007
  4. Ray Greene

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Ray Greene" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone recommend a good hard drive temperature monitor app for
    > Windows? I need one that will display temps for 4 drives
    > simultaneously.

    You could use speedfan for this and also configure it to control your fans.
    Craig Sutton, Apr 22, 2007
  5. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 20:12:58 +1200, "Craig Sutton"
    <> wrote:

    >"Ray Greene" <> wrote in message
    >> Can anyone recommend a good hard drive temperature monitor app for
    >> Windows? I need one that will display temps for 4 drives
    >> simultaneously.
    >>

    >You could use speedfan for this and also configure it to control your fans.

    The drives are on a 3ware RAID card, turns out that none of these apps
    can see them. Looks like I'm out of luck.

    --
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, Apr 23, 2007
  6. Ray Greene

    bAZZ Guest

    On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 19:09:11 +1200, Ray Greene <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 20:12:58 +1200, "Craig Sutton"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> "Ray Greene" <> wrote in message
    >>> Can anyone recommend a good hard drive temperature monitor app for
    >>> Windows? I need one that will display temps for 4 drives
    >>> simultaneously.
    >>>

    >> You could use speedfan for this and also configure it to control your
    >> fans.

    > The drives are on a 3ware RAID card, turns out that none of these apps
    > can see them. Looks like I'm out of luck.

    I seem to recall an older promise raid card I had contained a utility just
    like that with the cd that it came with. Maybe that sort of thing would
    read another card ? Not a lot of help I know but I did use that one once
    to do it just to see if it worked. Maybe you could look/search for it but
    I cannot be much help with name, version etc etc .Sorry. Good luck :)

    bAZZ

    bAZZ, Apr 24, 2007
  7. Ray Greene

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Ray Greene <> wrote in

    > The drives are on a 3ware RAID card, turns out that none of these apps
    > can see them. Looks like I'm out of luck.

    3Ware are supposed to have very good tech support and are linux friendly.
    Try asking them if they have a tool, or will consider adding that to a tool
    they already have for other status of the array...

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Apr 24, 2007
  8. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On 24 Apr 2007 18:47:11 +1200, Dave Taylor
    <> wrote:

    >Ray Greene <> wrote in
    >
    >> The drives are on a 3ware RAID card, turns out that none of these apps
    >> can see them. Looks like I'm out of luck.
    >>

    >3Ware are supposed to have very good tech support and are linux friendly.
    >Try asking them if they have a tool, or will consider adding that to a tool
    >they already have for other status of the array...

    Good idea, I'll do that.

    --
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, Apr 24, 2007
  9. Ray Greene

    Ken Guest

    On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 19:09:11 +1200, Ray Greene <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 20:12:58 +1200, "Craig Sutton"
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>"Ray Greene" <> wrote in message
    >>> Can anyone recommend a good hard drive temperature monitor app for
    >>> Windows? I need one that will display temps for 4 drives
    >>> simultaneously.
    >>>

    >>You could use speedfan for this and also configure it to control your fans.

    >The drives are on a 3ware RAID card, turns out that none of these apps
    >can see them. Looks like I'm out of luck.

    This kind of setup I have used before, but don't remember the software that I used, but it has to be
    set for SCSI.

    Don't forget that these add on cards do have firmware updates, my Promise one had a few updates, and
    a Driver to support SMART

    My system with a onboard iTE IDE RAID controller works ok, and the drives IDE, are listed as SCSI
    ones, under System/Hardware.

    But I did have some SMART software that did not work with my Promise card.
    Ken , Apr 25, 2007
  10. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 11:11:22 +1200, bAZZ <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 19:09:11 +1200, Ray Greene <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 20:12:58 +1200, "Craig Sutton"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Ray Greene" <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> You could use speedfan for this and also configure it to control your
    >>> fans.

    >> The drives are on a 3ware RAID card, turns out that none of these apps
    >> can see them. Looks like I'm out of luck.
    >>

    >I seem to recall an older promise raid card I had contained a utility just
    >like that with the cd that it came with. Maybe that sort of thing would
    >read another card ? Not a lot of help I know but I did use that one once
    >to do it just to see if it worked. Maybe you could look/search for it but
    >I cannot be much help with name, version etc etc .Sorry. Good luck :)

    I've found a package called Smartmontools which is said to be able to
    access SMART data through a 3ware card so I'll give it a try tomorrow.

    I'll give the Promise.utility a go if Smartmontools doesn't do the
    job.

    --
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, Apr 25, 2007
  11. Ray Greene

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Ray Greene <> wrote in

    > I've found a package called Smartmontools which is said to be able to
    > access SMART data through a 3ware card so I'll give it a try tomorrow.
    >
    > I'll give the Promise.utility a go if Smartmontools doesn't do the
    > job.

    I am still of the opinion that 3ware should make this easy for their
    customers...

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Apr 26, 2007
  12. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On 26 Apr 2007 19:23:27 +1200, Dave Taylor
    <> wrote:

    >Ray Greene <> wrote in
    >
    >> I've found a package called Smartmontools which is said to be able to
    >> access SMART data through a 3ware card so I'll give it a try tomorrow.
    >>
    >> I'll give the Promise.utility a go if Smartmontools doesn't do the
    >> job.

    >I am still of the opinion that 3ware should make this easy for their
    >customers...

    Yes, me too. I've discovered that the only way to do it is to use
    their command line utility to get a hex dump of data and then extract
    the temperature data from it. I'm going to make a little GUI app to do
    that and display it in a graph but it shouldn't be necessary to go to
    that much effort.

    --
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, Apr 26, 2007
  13. Ray Greene

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Ray Greene <> wrote in

    > I'm going to make a little GUI app to do
    > that and display it in a graph but it shouldn't be necessary to go to
    > that much effort.

    That is their job

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Apr 26, 2007
  14. Ray Greene

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    > On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 11:11:22 +1200, bAZZ <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 19:09:11 +1200, Ray Greene <>
    > > wrote:

    > > > The drives are on a 3ware RAID card, turns out that none of these
    > > > apps can see them. Looks like I'm out of luck.
    > > >

    > > I seem to recall an older promise raid card I had contained a
    > > utility just like that with the cd that it came with. Maybe that
    > > sort of thing would read another card ? Not a lot of help I know
    > > but I did use that one once to do it just to see if it worked.
    > > Maybe you could look/search for it but I cannot be much help with
    > > name, version etc etc .Sorry. Good luck :)

    > I've found a package called Smartmontools which is said to be able to
    > access SMART data through a 3ware card so I'll give it a try tomorrow.
    >
    > I'll give the Promise.utility a go if Smartmontools doesn't do the
    > job.

    I have a (DSE branded) Via VT6421 PCI card that has two SATA ports (and RAID
    capabilities) and a single PATA-133 port. If I only have one HDD connected
    to it Speedfan gives me a temp readout just fine. However, when I have two
    drives conected, as I do now, it reports the same temperature for both
    drives. (I know they're not running at the same temp, they're physically
    seperated and stressing one sees both temps rising together).

    Smartmontools huh? I wonder if it'll work for me? Or, perhaps this card just
    can't output two seperate temps.

    Please report back, I'm interested in knowing how it goes for you.

    Luck,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Apr 26, 2007
  15. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 20:20:07 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Ray Greene wrote:
    >> On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 11:11:22 +1200, bAZZ <>
    >> wrote:

    >> > I seem to recall an older promise raid card I had contained a
    >> > utility just like that with the cd that it came with. Maybe that
    >> > sort of thing would read another card ? Not a lot of help I know
    >> > but I did use that one once to do it just to see if it worked.
    >> > Maybe you could look/search for it but I cannot be much help with
    >> > name, version etc etc .Sorry. Good luck :)

    >> I've found a package called Smartmontools which is said to be able to
    >> access SMART data through a 3ware card so I'll give it a try tomorrow.
    >>
    >> I'll give the Promise.utility a go if Smartmontools doesn't do the
    >> job.

    >I have a (DSE branded) Via VT6421 PCI card that has two SATA ports (and RAID
    >capabilities) and a single PATA-133 port. If I only have one HDD connected
    >to it Speedfan gives me a temp readout just fine. However, when I have two
    >drives conected, as I do now, it reports the same temperature for both
    >drives. (I know they're not running at the same temp, they're physically
    >seperated and stressing one sees both temps rising together).
    >
    >Smartmontools huh? I wonder if it'll work for me? Or, perhaps this card just
    >can't output two seperate temps.
    >
    >Please report back, I'm interested in knowing how it goes for you.
    >
    >Luck,

    Smartmon couldn't the info I needed from the card unfortunately. I'll
    have to use the CLI tool from 3ware and extract the data the hard way.

    SMART seems to be very poorly implemented in RAID cards. It's pretty
    dodgy even in hard drives with each manufacturer doing things a little
    differently to everyone else.

    --
    Ray Greene
    Ray Greene, Apr 26, 2007
  16. Ray Greene

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    > On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 20:20:07 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Ray Greene wrote:

    > > > I've found a package called Smartmontools which is said to be
    > > > able to access SMART data through a 3ware card so I'll give it a
    > > > try tomorrow.
    > > >
    > > > I'll give the Promise.utility a go if Smartmontools doesn't do the
    > > > job.

    > > I have a (DSE branded) Via VT6421 PCI card that has two SATA ports
    > > (and RAID capabilities) and a single PATA-133 port. If I only have
    > > one HDD connected to it Speedfan gives me a temp readout just fine.
    > > However, when I have two drives conected, as I do now, it reports
    > > the same temperature for both drives. (I know they're not running
    > > at the same temp, they're physically seperated and stressing one
    > > sees both temps rising together).
    > >
    > > Smartmontools huh? I wonder if it'll work for me? Or, perhaps this
    > > card just can't output two seperate temps.
    > >
    > > Please report back, I'm interested in knowing how it goes for you.
    > >
    > > Luck,

    > Smartmon couldn't the info I needed from the card unfortunately. I'll
    > have to use the CLI tool from 3ware and extract the data the hard way.
    >
    > SMART seems to be very poorly implemented in RAID cards. It's pretty
    > dodgy even in hard drives with each manufacturer doing things a little
    > differently to everyone else.

    Yeah. Thanks for the report, I tried it myself with no luck. :)

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Apr 27, 2007