    has been formatted, but the other 70gb of HDD is not there.

    What do I do to reclaim the lost 70gb?

    Is this a BIOS problem?

    Pilly & Howard Gipps, Dec 19, 2003

  2. Pilly & Howard Gipps

    ??? Guest

    Most likely, make sure you have the latest bios flashed on your system. You
    could use partition magic or just partition the drive to two logical drives.

    ???, Dec 19, 2003

  3. Pilly & Howard Gipps

    Thor Guest

    two things. Make sure your BIOS actually supports drives greater than
    ~130GB. It must support 48 bit LBA. Then, you also need an OS that supports
    48bit LBA. WinXP SP1 is required for it. If your bios doesn't support it,
    you can get a controller card from Promise Technologies, that will.

    Thor, Dec 19, 2003
  4. Partitions affect the OS. The BIOS loads before the OS. I don't care
    *how* you partition the drive-if this is a BIOS problem then it won't help.

    Calvin Crumrine, Dec 19, 2003
  5. Pilly & Howard Gipps

    V W Wall Guest

    Pilly & Howard Gipps wrote:

    > Have just bought a 200gb WD HDD to use in a Firewire cabled external case
    > with my P4 1.8/ Gigabyte 8IDX system, which dates from April 2002.
    >
    > The computer will only recognise the first 131 gb of the new drive, which
    > has been formatted, but the other 70gb of HDD is not there.
    >
    > What do I do to reclaim the lost 70gb?
    >
    > Is this a BIOS problem?

    The limit at 128GiB, (~137.4GB), (268435456 sectors), is due to the
    28 bit LBA's limitation. The new BIOS updates avoid this limit.

    WindowsXP requires SP1, and Windows 2000 requires SP3 with 48 bit
    LBA address drivers to exceed the 137GB limit.

    Windows98, WindowsME, and Windows NT 4.x, are limited to 137GB
    without third party device drivers.

    Virg Wall
    --
    A foolish consistency is the
    hobgoblin of little minds,........

    V W Wall, Dec 19, 2003
  6. Thanks..must be the BIOS

    Pilly & Howard Gipps, Dec 20, 2003
  7. Thanks for the help, must be the BIOS

    Pilly & Howard Gipps, Dec 20, 2003