    Backup will also be on CD for Photo and MyDocs

    What thinkest Thou?

    PAM.
    PAM., Sep 27, 2005

  2. PAM. wrote:
    > I'm tempted to have 3 HDD next time I get a new PC/parts.
    > 20Gb - OS/Software
    > 40Gb - My Documents
    > 80Gb - Music/Video/Photo/Backup
    > Backup will also be on CD for Photo and MyDocs
    >
    > What thinkest Thou?

    your PC... do what you like...

    ummm, seperate Hdd is usually a good idea, as it potentially cuts down
    on the chance that you will lose all data should a Hdd die.

    Can I suggest that you do something like 20GB for OS/software, 100GB for
    docs/music/etc and 100GB for backup?

    Removable for the backup drive would be good... although only important
    if your data is worth more than the hassle of doing the backup.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 27, 2005

  3. PAM.

    PAM. Guest

    > Can I suggest that you do something like 20GB for OS/software, 100GB for
    > docs/music/etc and 100GB for backup?
    >
    > Removable for the backup drive would be good... although only important
    > if your data is worth more than the hassle of doing the backup.

    My 'serious' 'serious' is all at hotmail and yahoo backed up
    I try to keep my 'serious' backups to CD size. (work related and decent
    'can't live without'
    Photos are an issue backing up but would do so in no particular order onto
    CD just to make sure I have a back up of them.
    Music and Videos are a hassle if I lose them but not the end of the world.
    Anything else is usually downloadable from the net but a hassle more than
    anything (Anti virus, firewall, DesktopX...etc)
    My Docs fill up probably 5Gb if that. The rest of the 100Mb would be a
    waste. Hence 40Gb for that and 120 for Music/Vid/Photo.

    I did check out the 'net for solid state disks. 155 GB SSD IS
    AVAILABLE...COOL!!!!

    Might look at removeable ones.

    PAM.
    PAM., Sep 27, 2005
  4. PAM. wrote:
    >>Can I suggest that you do something like 20GB for OS/software, 100GB for
    >>docs/music/etc and 100GB for backup?

    >>Removable for the backup drive would be good... although only important
    >>if your data is worth more than the hassle of doing the backup.

    > My 'serious' 'serious' is all at hotmail and yahoo backed up
    > I try to keep my 'serious' backups to CD size. (work related and decent
    > 'can't live without'
    > Photos are an issue backing up but would do so in no particular order onto
    > CD just to make sure I have a back up of them.
    > Music and Videos are a hassle if I lose them but not the end of the world.
    > Anything else is usually downloadable from the net but a hassle more than
    > anything (Anti virus, firewall, DesktopX...etc)
    > My Docs fill up probably 5Gb if that. The rest of the 100Mb would be a
    > waste. Hence 40Gb for that and 120 for Music/Vid/Photo.

    I see... well, should be fine then, maybe just do a sync(check out
    thread on "drive image" or similar at the moment) between your my docs
    drive, and the other... docs are normally rated above music/vids for
    usefullness.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 27, 2005
  5. PAM.

    Allistar Guest

    PAM. wrote:

    > I'm tempted to have 3 HDD next time I get a new PC/parts.
    > 20Gb - OS/Software
    > 40Gb - My Documents
    > 80Gb - Music/Video/Photo/Backup
    > Backup will also be on CD for Photo and MyDocs
    >
    > What thinkest Thou?
    >
    > PAM.

    If it were me I'd do:

    20Gb = /
    80Gb = /home
    80Gb = /home/storage
    10Gb = /var

    :)

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Sep 27, 2005
  6. PAM.

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > PAM. wrote:
    >
    > > I'm tempted to have 3 HDD next time I get a new PC/parts.
    > > 20Gb - OS/Software
    > > 40Gb - My Documents
    > > 80Gb - Music/Video/Photo/Backup
    > > Backup will also be on CD for Photo and MyDocs
    > >
    > > What thinkest Thou?
    > >
    > > PAM.

    > If it were me I'd do:
    >
    > 20Gb = /
    > 80Gb = /home
    > 80Gb = /home/storage
    > 10Gb = /var

    He's obviously not talking about Linux.
    Rob J, Sep 27, 2005
  7. PAM.

    thingy Guest

    PAM. wrote:
    > I'm tempted to have 3 HDD next time I get a new PC/parts.
    > 20Gb - OS/Software
    > 40Gb - My Documents
    > 80Gb - Music/Video/Photo/Backup
    > Backup will also be on CD for Photo and MyDocs
    >
    > What thinkest Thou?
    >
    > PAM.

    I would go 2 x 120 or 160 gig drives on a motherboard that does raid 1.

    Though personally I would buy 250 or 300 gig SATA drives....

    Glad you thought about backups....

    DVD burners are also dirt cheap....

    < $100......

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Sep 27, 2005
  8. PAM.

    -=rjh=- Guest

    PAM. wrote:
    > I'm tempted to have 3 HDD next time I get a new PC/parts.
    > 20Gb - OS/Software
    > 40Gb - My Documents
    > 80Gb - Music/Video/Photo/Backup
    > Backup will also be on CD for Photo and MyDocs
    >
    > What thinkest Thou?

    All on one HDD:

    20GB - OS/Software
    10GB - My Documents
    10GB - Scratch (for CD/DVD burning, transcoding, ripping)

    80GB USB - removable backup. Remove when not backing up!

    then on your fileserver :)

    160GB - Music/Video/Photo/Backup

    which makes media acessible to all other devices regardless of whether
    your main PC is turned on.

    It costs ~ the cost of a new HDD to setup a fileserver for home use
    these days, the hardware is almost free. Raid1 can be set up for the
    cost of 2 HDD.
    -=rjh=-, Sep 27, 2005
  9. PAM.

    shannon Guest

    Rob J wrote:
    > In article <>, says...
    >
    >>PAM. wrote:
    >>

    >>>I'm tempted to have 3 HDD next time I get a new PC/parts.
    >>>20Gb - OS/Software
    >>>40Gb - My Documents
    >>>80Gb - Music/Video/Photo/Backup
    >>>Backup will also be on CD for Photo and MyDocs
    >>>
    >>>What thinkest Thou?
    >>>
    >>>PAM.

    >>If it were me I'd do:
    >>
    >>20Gb = /
    >>80Gb = /home
    >>80Gb = /home/storage
    >>10Gb = /var

    > He's obviously not talking about Linux.

    Maybe maybe not, you would know for sure if you asked instead of just
    rudely contradicting Alistair.
    PAM has posted here before about his Linspire usage IIRC.
    shannon, Sep 27, 2005
  10. PAM.

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 13:50:06 +1200, "PAM." <>
    wrote:

    >I'm tempted to have 3 HDD next time I get a new PC/parts.
    >20Gb - OS/Software
    >40Gb - My Documents
    >80Gb - Music/Video/Photo/Backup
    >Backup will also be on CD for Photo and MyDocs
    >
    >What thinkest Thou?
    >
    >PAM.

    Apart from the fact it may be difficult to find a 20Gb drive I don't
    think it is such a good idea. One thing I found after installing a
    160Gb 8Mb cache Samsung ATA133 drive, replace my Quantum Fireball
    20.5Gb drive was the sheer speed of the new drive. I would recommend
    putting your OS on the fastest drive, where the swap file would be
    too. It would make a noticeable difference to overall speed.

    I would have the large drive for most things and a second drive for
    storing images of the various partitions (Ghost, Drive Image, Acronis
    True Image, etc), setting aside 20-40Gb and leaving the rest for
    storage and another Unix-based OS. Some images could be also backed
    up on DVD disc.
    GraB, Sep 27, 2005
  11. PAM.

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    y says...
    > PAM. wrote:
    > > I'm tempted to have 3 HDD next time I get a new PC/parts.
    > > 20Gb - OS/Software
    > > 40Gb - My Documents
    > > 80Gb - Music/Video/Photo/Backup
    > > Backup will also be on CD for Photo and MyDocs
    > >
    > > What thinkest Thou?
    > >
    > > PAM.
    > >

    > I would go 2 x 120 or 160 gig drives on a motherboard that does raid 1.
    >
    > Though personally I would buy 250 or 300 gig SATA drives....
    >
    > Glad you thought about backups....
    >
    > DVD burners are also dirt cheap....
    >
    > < $100......

    You can buy a crap(TM) drive for that much - BTC or Samsung or other
    drives that produce discs with high error rates

    Or you can spend a little more ($130 or so) for a nice Pioneer or Asus
    or Liteon or Sony DVD burner that gives much better results.
    Rob J, Sep 27, 2005
  12. PAM.

    MarkH Guest

    "PAM." <> wrote in news:jz1_e.14554$iM2.1199256
    @news.xtra.co.nz:

    > I'm tempted to have 3 HDD next time I get a new PC/parts.
    > 20Gb - OS/Software
    > 40Gb - My Documents
    > 80Gb - Music/Video/Photo/Backup
    > Backup will also be on CD for Photo and MyDocs
    >
    > What thinkest Thou?

    I think that I would rather stick to my:
    40GB - WinXP
    40GB - WinXP 64-bit
    60GB - SUSE 9.3 64-bit
    200GB - Data
    200GB - More data
    400GB - Even more data

    + what my other 2 PCs have (120+160+250)

    The good thing is that you can buy 50 blank DVDs to back up stuff for
    $22.50, though it can take a while if you decide to write over 20 DVDs in
    one day.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Sep 27, 2005
  13. PAM.

    MarkH Guest

    GraB <> wrote in

    > Apart from the fact it may be difficult to find a 20Gb drive I don't
    > think it is such a good idea. One thing I found after installing a
    > 160Gb 8Mb cache Samsung ATA133 drive, replace my Quantum Fireball
    > 20.5Gb drive was the sheer speed of the new drive. I would recommend
    > putting your OS on the fastest drive, where the swap file would be
    > too. It would make a noticeable difference to overall speed.

    I hate swap files! They were a kludge back when RAM was pricey, but now
    you can have enough RAM to do almost anything on a PC and have no need for
    a swap file at all. I use 2GB RAM and no swap file on my main PC.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade
    MarkH, Sep 27, 2005
  14. PAM.

    Ross Guest

    On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:54:24 +1200, thingy <>
    wrote:

    >PAM. wrote:
    >> I'm tempted to have 3 HDD next time I get a new PC/parts.
    >> 20Gb - OS/Software
    >> 40Gb - My Documents
    >> 80Gb - Music/Video/Photo/Backup
    >> Backup will also be on CD for Photo and MyDocs
    >>
    >> What thinkest Thou?
    >>
    >> PAM.
    >>

    >I would go 2 x 120 or 160 gig drives on a motherboard that does raid 1.
    >
    >Though personally I would buy 250 or 300 gig SATA drives....

    I'm thinking of going with 2 x 80 gig drives (RAID 0 for speed).
    Should I get SATA drives for this?

    Yes, I backup every day (removable HDD).

    Ross
    Ross, Sep 27, 2005
  15. PAM.

    Mercury Guest

    > I'm thinking of going with 2 x 80 gig drives (RAID 0 for speed).
    > Should I get SATA drives for this?

    What makes you think you will get speed with RAID 0? Most people only
    experience a small noticeable improvement during boot, then after a while
    notice an infinite drop when 1 of the drives die.

    RAID 0 is a waste of effort for most people.... but your usage could
    benefit.
    Mercury, Sep 27, 2005
  16. Rob J wrote:
    >>>I'm tempted to have 3 HDD next time I get a new PC/parts.
    >>>20Gb - OS/Software
    >>>40Gb - My Documents
    >>>80Gb - Music/Video/Photo/Backup
    >>>Backup will also be on CD for Photo and MyDocs
    >>>What thinkest Thou?
    >>>PAM.

    >>If it were me I'd do:
    >>20Gb = /
    >>80Gb = /home
    >>80Gb = /home/storage
    >>10Gb = /var

    > He's obviously not talking about Linux.

    Pam is a he?

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 27, 2005
  17. PAM.

    EMB Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> If it were me I'd do:
    >>> 20Gb = /
    >>> 80Gb = /home
    >>> 80Gb = /home/storage
    >>> 10Gb = /var

    >> He's obviously not talking about Linux.

    > Pam is a he?

    Unless the surgeon has been busy.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Sep 27, 2005
  18. EMB wrote:

    >>> He's obviously not talking about Linux.

    >> Pam is a he?

    > Unless the surgeon has been busy.

    heh, just shows you should never assume things by a name.
    Pam/=Pamela.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 27, 2005
  19. PAM.

    Shane Guest

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 08:17:59 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> Pam is a he?

    >> Unless the surgeon has been busy.

    > heh, just shows you should never assume things by a name. Pam/=Pamela.

    Took me a little while to catch on as well
    I'm considering adding to the relevant RFC a new header
    butchered, and Martian (for cliff)

    Shane, Sep 27, 2005
  20. PAM.

    EMB Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > heh, just shows you should never assume things by a name.
    > Pam/=Pamela.

    Pam = Pamela

    PAM /= Pamela

    --