HDD problem

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Ferg, Jan 21, 2005.

  1. Ferg

    Ferg Guest

    The larger of my two HDDs seems to be having a problem.

    I am running WinXP SP2

    In My Computer I am now seeing an extra HDD. I have two HDDs. The main one
    is ntfs and I have my OS on this. The seocnd is Fat32 and I currently have
    nothing on this. But I am seeing three HDDs reported. I have not partitioned
    either...

    The main HDD is being reported as Bad in Partition Magic 8.

    The extra HDD is reprted in WinXP as being unformated (RAW). But I can't
    format it.

    My system is working fine but I am interested in exploring some dual boot
    options and this error seems to be screwing that up.

    Any ideas. questions?

    Ferg

    Ferg, Jan 21, 2005

  2. Ferg

    Bok Guest

    Ferg wrote:
    > The larger of my two HDDs seems to be having a problem.
    >
    > I am running WinXP SP2
    >
    > In My Computer I am now seeing an extra HDD. I have two HDDs. The main one
    > is ntfs and I have my OS on this. The seocnd is Fat32 and I currently have
    > nothing on this. But I am seeing three HDDs reported. I have not partitioned
    > either...
    > The main HDD is being reported as Bad in Partition Magic 8.
    > The extra HDD is reprted in WinXP as being unformated (RAW). But I can't
    > format it.
    >
    > My system is working fine but I am interested in exploring some dual boot
    > options and this error seems to be screwing that up.
    > Any ideas. questions?

    What does it look like in the XP 'Disk Management' tool?

    If you bring that up you should see two physical disks: Disk 0 and Disk
    1 and overlayed on them any partitions and logical drives.

    Bok, Jan 21, 2005

  3. Ferg

    Ferg Guest

    "Bok" <> wrote in message news:41f17ba4$...

    > What does it look like in the XP 'Disk Management' tool?
    >
    > If you bring that up you should see two physical disks: Disk 0 and Disk 1
    > and overlayed on them any partitions and logical drives.

    The exta drive doesn't show in Disk Management. Just has Disk 0 and 1 with
    one partition on each...

    Ferg

    Ferg, Jan 21, 2005
  4. Ferg

    Bok Guest

    Ferg wrote:
    >>What does it look like in the XP 'Disk Management' tool?
    >>
    >>If you bring that up you should see two physical disks: Disk 0 and Disk 1
    >>and overlayed on them any partitions and logical drives.

    > The exta drive doesn't show in Disk Management. Just has Disk 0 and 1 with
    > one partition on each...

    Where are you seeing this 'phantom drive'?
    If it appears in explorer with a drive letter, can you right click and
    select properties?
    If so what is the drive type and file system?

    Bok, Jan 21, 2005
  5. Ferg

    Ferg Guest

    "Bok" <> wrote in message news:41f185f9$...
    > Ferg wrote:

    > If so what is the drive type and file system?

    Local Disk

    RAW

    Ferg

    Ferg, Jan 21, 2005
  6. Ferg

    Mercury Guest

    Do you have a usb or dvd-rw drive?

    Mercury, Jan 21, 2005
  7. Ferg

    GraB Guest

    On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 10:48:40 +1300, "Ferg" <> wrote:

    >The larger of my two HDDs seems to be having a problem.
    >
    >I am running WinXP SP2
    >
    >In My Computer I am now seeing an extra HDD. I have two HDDs. The main one
    >is ntfs and I have my OS on this. The seocnd is Fat32 and I currently have
    >nothing on this. But I am seeing three HDDs reported. I have not partitioned
    >either...
    >
    >The main HDD is being reported as Bad in Partition Magic 8.
    >
    >The extra HDD is reprted in WinXP as being unformated (RAW). But I can't
    >format it.
    >
    >My system is working fine but I am interested in exploring some dual boot
    >options and this error seems to be screwing that up.
    >
    >Any ideas. questions?
    >
    >Ferg

    I vaguely remember having something like this ages ago, which took
    Norton Disk Doctor to fix. Other than that I would suggest redoing
    the partition on the second drive.

    I have had a drive that when you used the whole amount of the drive
    you got that error show up in PM8 (DOS floppy version). For some
    reason if I left about 2.5megs free at the end it would be alright.

    GraB, Jan 21, 2005
  8. On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 11:45:40 +1300, Bok <> wrote:

    >Ferg wrote:
    >>>What does it look like in the XP 'Disk Management' tool?
    >>>
    >>>If you bring that up you should see two physical disks: Disk 0 and Disk 1
    >>>and overlayed on them any partitions and logical drives.

    >> The exta drive doesn't show in Disk Management. Just has Disk 0 and 1 with
    >> one partition on each...

    >Where are you seeing this 'phantom drive'?
    >If it appears in explorer with a drive letter, can you right click and
    >select properties?
    >If so what is the drive type and file system?

    PQ Magic will show phantom drives

    BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au, Jan 22, 2005
  9. Ferg

    Ferg Guest

    "Mercury" <> wrote in message
    > Do you have a usb or dvd-rw drive?

    I have a dvd-rw drive. What's the story?

    Ferg

    Ferg, Jan 22, 2005
  10. Ferg

    Ferg Guest

    <BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 11:45:40 +1300, Bok <> wrote:

    > PQ Magic will show phantom drives

    PQ Partition Magic shows the whole Disk 0 as bad. All yellow!

    Ferg

    Ferg, Jan 22, 2005
  11. Ferg

    Mercury Guest

    my logic was that you could have had a raw dvd or usb disc present...

    Mercury, Jan 22, 2005
  12. Ferg

    # Guest

    On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 10:48:40 +1300, Ferg wrote:

    > Any ideas. questions?
    >
    > Ferg

    What size are the HDD's in question, and what jumper/cable configuration
    are you running?

    #, Jan 22, 2005
  13. Ferg

    Ferg Guest

    "Mercury" <> wrote in message
    > my logic was that you could have had a raw dvd or usb disc present...

    Unfortunately it is saying its a local disk not removable storage...

    I have just tried Seagate's own disk utility and it is saying my Disk 0 has
    problems...

    Ferg

    Ferg, Jan 22, 2005
  14. Ferg

    Ferg Guest

    "#" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 10:48:40 +1300, Ferg wrote:

    > What size are the HDD's in question, and what jumper/cable configuration
    > are you running?

    80Gb Primary Master (the one showing as Bad in PMagic) with my OS on.
    40Gb Secondary Master
    DVD-rw Secondary Slave

    Ferg

    Ferg, Jan 22, 2005
  15. Ferg

    Mercury Guest

    rescue data and replace?

    Mercury, Jan 22, 2005
  16. On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:30:18 +1300, "Ferg" <> wrote:

    >"#" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 10:48:40 +1300, Ferg wrote:

    >> What size are the HDD's in question, and what jumper/cable configuration
    >> are you running?

    >80Gb Primary Master (the one showing as Bad in PMagic) with my OS on.
    >40Gb Secondary Master
    >DVD-rw Secondary Slave
    >
    >Ferg

    What does Scandisk or Nortons say..?

    May be try a recover Utile like Spinrite 6 or HD Regenerator..

    What was use to Format the drive..?

    Was it like this from day one, or has this happened over some time.

    BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au, Jan 22, 2005
  17. Ferg

    GraB Guest

    On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 16:48:33 +1300, "Ferg" <> wrote:

    ><BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 11:45:40 +1300, Bok <> wrote:

    >> PQ Magic will show phantom drives

    >PQ Partition Magic shows the whole Disk 0 as bad. All yellow!
    >
    >Ferg

    This is exactly what I had with one drive I had if you used the whole
    available space. If I remade it with a few megs spare on the end for
    some reason it would be OK.

    I use System Commander 8.1. When PM8 shows all yellow the
    partitioning utility in System Commander can still deal with it.

    GraB, Jan 22, 2005
  18. Ferg

    impossible Guest

    "Ferg" <> wrote in message

    > <BIG Bear @bearcat.com.au> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 11:45:40 +1300, Bok <> wrote:

    >> PQ Magic will show phantom drives

    > PQ Partition Magic shows the whole Disk 0 as bad. All yellow!
    >
    > Ferg

    When you say PM is "all yellow", I assume you're referring to the main drive
    display window. But in itself that does relate to the drive being bad in any
    way -- it just means that the disk space is currently all being used.

    What error code is PM showing? You can go here...

    http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/npmagic/npmagic_8_tasks.html

    ....and search for "error messages", which will bring up a whole directory of
    codes. That might give you a better clue.

    impossible, Jan 22, 2005
  19. Ferg

    impossible Guest

    "Ferg" <> wrote in message

    > "Mercury" <> wrote in message
    >> my logic was that you could have had a raw dvd or usb disc present...

    > Unfortunately it is saying its a local disk not removable storage...
    >
    > I have just tried Seagate's own disk utility and it is saying my Disk 0
    > has problems...

    What exactly does it say?

    impossible, Jan 22, 2005
  20. Ferg

    impossible Guest

    "impossible" <> wrote in message

    > When you say PM is "all yellow", I assume you're referring to the main
    > drive display window. But in itself that does relate to the drive being
    > bad in any way -- it just means that the disk space is currently all being
    > used.

    Make that:

    "....But in itself that does NOT relate to the drive being bad in any way --
    it just means that the disk space is currently all being used."

    impossible, Jan 22, 2005