    10Gb drive), and it has a strange identifier code at boot-up (PSPPPP P
    P P P P P). Is there any way to replace this corrupted info on the
    drive? Flash it with something?

    icewhain, Dec 11, 2004

  2. icewhain

    Plato Guest

    icewhain wrote:

    > My laptop HDD no longer works after trying it in an external
    > enclosure. (It never worked in the enclosure, as it could never draw
    > enough power.) Now the BIOS reports it's capacity as 65556Mb (it's a

    the 65555555556 thing is the ram

    Plato, Dec 11, 2004

  3. icewhain

    icewhain Guest

    Plato <|@|.|> wrote:

    >icewhain wrote:
    >>
    >> My laptop HDD no longer works after trying it in an external
    >> enclosure. (It never worked in the enclosure, as it could never draw
    >> enough power.) Now the BIOS reports it's capacity as 65556Mb (it's a

    >the 65555555556 thing is the ram

    Hard disks don't have RAM.

    icewhain, Dec 11, 2004
  4. icewhain

    Robert Baer Guest

    icewhain wrote:

    > My laptop HDD no longer works after trying it in an external
    > enclosure. (It never worked in the enclosure, as it could never draw
    > enough power.) Now the BIOS reports it's capacity as 65556Mb (it's a
    > 10Gb drive), and it has a strange identifier code at boot-up (PSPPPP P
    > P P P P P). Is there any way to replace this corrupted info on the
    > drive? Flash it with something?

    I do not understand what kind of "external enclosure" you used.
    Laptop drives have a different connector and pinout scheme; one cable
    carries the 40 you are familiar with, plus more for power, master/slave,
    etc.
    Perhaps you used the incorrect adaptor/enclosure and/or connected it
    incorrectly (which may have destroyed the drive).

    Robert Baer, Dec 11, 2004
  5. icewhain

    Jerry G. Guest

    It is very possible that the drive has been damaged from when put on to
    another adaptor that it was not designed to work with.

    Try resetting it up, as in a new installation. I hope you have been keeping
    up to date backups. We can never seem to drill in to the heads of our
    clients how important backups are. In the end we always get the dreaded
    phone calls!

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Dec 11, 2004
  6. icewhain

    icewhain Guest

    Robert Baer <> wrote:

    >icewhain wrote:
    >>
    >> My laptop HDD no longer works after trying it in an external
    >> enclosure. (It never worked in the enclosure, as it could never draw
    >> enough power.) Now the BIOS reports it's capacity as 65556Mb (it's a
    >> 10Gb drive), and it has a strange identifier code at boot-up (PSPPPP P
    >> P P P P P). Is there any way to replace this corrupted info on the
    >> drive? Flash it with something?

    > I do not understand what kind of "external enclosure" you used.
    > Laptop drives have a different connector and pinout scheme; one cable
    >carries the 40 you are familiar with, plus more for power, master/slave,
    >etc.
    > Perhaps you used the incorrect adaptor/enclosure and/or connected it
    >incorrectly (which may have destroyed the drive).

    That is not possible.

    Can I fix this hard drive?

    icewhain, Dec 11, 2004
  7. icewhain

    icewhain Guest

    "Jerry G." <> wrote:

    >It is very possible that the drive has been damaged from when put on to
    >another adaptor that it was not designed to work with.
    >
    >Try resetting it up, as in a new installation. I hope you have been keeping
    >up to date backups. We can never seem to drill in to the heads of our
    >clients how important backups are. In the end we always get the dreaded
    >phone calls!

    The adapter was designed to work with the drive, I wouldn't have tried
    to use it otherwise. It is a 2.5" HDD external enclosure, powered &
    connected via USB2. But it didn't work with my USB2 card, it couldn't
    draw enough power. I'm getting a powered hub to try it again. But I
    have to sort this HDD out now.

    The drive was replaced by an upgrade, so all my data had already been
    copied across. I've FDISKed it, deleted partition, created partition,
    which seems to work fine (although a little slow). But when I try to
    format it, the PC doesn't assign a drive letter to it, making it
    impossible. When looking in the BIOS, the drive shows as there, but
    with completely wrong information, eg 65GB. It looks like the info
    held on the drive which tells the BIOS what it is, is corrupted
    (probably due to the external enclosure not powering up properly). Is
    there any way to replace this info with a working copy?

    icewhain, Dec 11, 2004
  8. icewhain

    Thagor Guest

    icewhain <> wrote in

    > "Jerry G." <> wrote:
    > The adapter was designed to work with the drive, I wouldn't have tried
    > to use it otherwise. It is a 2.5" HDD external enclosure, powered &
    > connected via USB2. But it didn't work with my USB2 card, it couldn't
    > draw enough power. I'm getting a powered hub to try it again. But I
    > have to sort this HDD out now.
    >
    > The drive was replaced by an upgrade, so all my data had already been
    > copied across. I've FDISKed it, deleted partition, created partition,
    > which seems to work fine (although a little slow). But when I try to
    > format it, the PC doesn't assign a drive letter to it, making it
    > impossible. When looking in the BIOS, the drive shows as there, but
    > with completely wrong information, eg 65GB. It looks like the info
    > held on the drive which tells the BIOS what it is, is corrupted
    > (probably due to the external enclosure not powering up properly). Is
    > there any way to replace this info with a working copy?

    Now that was an informative help request.
    I can hardly believe that just placing the drive in the USB caddy did
    damage to the firmware.(Unless it was just time to die.) Those cheap
    caddies usually do have power problems that create headaches later.
    Oh, by the way, a portable caddy that does not have it's own power supply
    is something to run from.
    Try going to the drive manufacturer website and look for a diagnostics
    program for that model. Check for any FAQs that may pertain to your drive
    model, there may be a fix for it. Otherwise it may be time to retire it.

    Thagor, Dec 11, 2004
  9. icewhain

    Plato Guest

    icewhain wrote:

    > >> My laptop HDD no longer works after trying it in an external
    > >> enclosure. (It never worked in the enclosure, as it could never draw
    > >> enough power.) Now the BIOS reports it's capacity as 65556Mb (it's a

    > >the 65555555556 thing is the ram

    > Hard disks don't have RAM.

    Darn, missed that part.

    Plato, Dec 11, 2004
  10. icewhain

    Thor Guest

    "icewhain" <> wrote in message
    > "Jerry G." <> wrote:
    >
    >>It is very possible that the drive has been damaged from when put on to
    >>another adaptor that it was not designed to work with.
    >>
    >>Try resetting it up, as in a new installation. I hope you have been
    >>keeping
    >>up to date backups. We can never seem to drill in to the heads of our
    >>clients how important backups are. In the end we always get the dreaded
    >>phone calls!

    > The adapter was designed to work with the drive, I wouldn't have tried
    > to use it otherwise. It is a 2.5" HDD external enclosure, powered &
    > connected via USB2. But it didn't work with my USB2 card, it couldn't
    > draw enough power.

    Seen this happen before with several USB 2.0 self-powered enclosures. My
    experience is that they usually work with USB 1.1 controllers because the
    slower transfer rate must draw less current.

    > I'm getting a powered hub to try it again. But I
    > have to sort this HDD out now.
    >
    > The drive was replaced by an upgrade, so all my data had already been
    > copied across. I've FDISKed it, deleted partition, created partition,
    > which seems to work fine (although a little slow). But when I try to
    > format it, the PC doesn't assign a drive letter to it, making it
    > impossible. When looking in the BIOS, the drive shows as there, but
    > with completely wrong information, eg 65GB. It looks like the info
    > held on the drive which tells the BIOS what it is, is corrupted
    > (probably due to the external enclosure not powering up properly). Is
    > there any way to replace this info with a working copy?

    Not easily. You may have to send it to the manufacturer to have the firmware
    re-flashed. Or, see of they will send you a utility to try it yourself. It's
    alongshot though.

    Thor, Dec 11, 2004
  11. icewhain

    icewhain Guest

    Thagor <> wrote:

    >Now that was an informative help request.
    >I can hardly believe that just placing the drive in the USB caddy did
    >damage to the firmware.(Unless it was just time to die.) Those cheap
    >caddies usually do have power problems that create headaches later.
    >Oh, by the way, a portable caddy that does not have it's own power supply
    >is something to run from.
    >Try going to the drive manufacturer website and look for a diagnostics
    >program for that model. Check for any FAQs that may pertain to your drive
    >model, there may be a fix for it. Otherwise it may be time to retire it.

    Thanks for replying. There's not too much on the fujitsu website to
    fix this problem. I think I need to rewrite the drive info. Apart
    from that I think the drive works fine. I'll wait to see what Fujitsu
    say.

    icewhain, Dec 11, 2004
  12. icewhain

    icewhain Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote:

    >>>It is very possible that the drive has been damaged from when put on to
    >>>another adaptor that it was not designed to work with.
    >>>
    >>>Try resetting it up, as in a new installation. I hope you have been
    >>>keeping
    >>>up to date backups. We can never seem to drill in to the heads of our
    >>>clients how important backups are. In the end we always get the dreaded
    >>>phone calls!

    >> The adapter was designed to work with the drive, I wouldn't have tried
    >> to use it otherwise. It is a 2.5" HDD external enclosure, powered &
    >> connected via USB2. But it didn't work with my USB2 card, it couldn't
    >> draw enough power.

    >Seen this happen before with several USB 2.0 self-powered enclosures. My
    >experience is that they usually work with USB 1.1 controllers because the
    >slower transfer rate must draw less current.
    >
    >> I'm getting a powered hub to try it again. But I
    >> have to sort this HDD out now.
    >>
    >> The drive was replaced by an upgrade, so all my data had already been
    >> copied across. I've FDISKed it, deleted partition, created partition,
    >> which seems to work fine (although a little slow). But when I try to
    >> format it, the PC doesn't assign a drive letter to it, making it
    >> impossible. When looking in the BIOS, the drive shows as there, but
    >> with completely wrong information, eg 65GB. It looks like the info
    >> held on the drive which tells the BIOS what it is, is corrupted
    >> (probably due to the external enclosure not powering up properly). Is
    >> there any way to replace this info with a working copy?

    >Not easily. You may have to send it to the manufacturer to have the firmware
    >re-flashed. Or, see of they will send you a utility to try it yourself. It's
    >alongshot though.

    Ok. Hopefully they'll reply on Monday. Thanks.

    icewhain, Dec 11, 2004
  13. icewhain

    Robert Baer Guest

    icewhain wrote:

    > Robert Baer <> wrote:
    >
    > >icewhain wrote:
    > >>
    > >> My laptop HDD no longer works after trying it in an external
    > >> enclosure. (It never worked in the enclosure, as it could never draw
    > >> enough power.) Now the BIOS reports it's capacity as 65556Mb (it's a
    > >> 10Gb drive), and it has a strange identifier code at boot-up (PSPPPP P
    > >> P P P P P). Is there any way to replace this corrupted info on the
    > >> drive? Flash it with something?

    > > I do not understand what kind of "external enclosure" you used.
    > > Laptop drives have a different connector and pinout scheme; one cable
    > >carries the 40 you are familiar with, plus more for power, master/slave,
    > >etc.
    > > Perhaps you used the incorrect adaptor/enclosure and/or connected it
    > >incorrectly (which may have destroyed the drive).

    > That is not possible.
    >
    > Can I fix this hard drive?

    I assure you, that it is rather easy to mis-connect a flat cable.
    And since the laptop drive cable includes power, such a mistake could
    create a nasty problem.

    Robert Baer, Dec 12, 2004