    It is not on a pc which has ever been connected to the internet.
    I have another pc and when the hdd is changed there is no prob, Anyone
    have constructive ideas please..

    Brucey2, Nov 6, 2004

  2. Brucey2

    mark mandel Guest

    "Brucey2" <> wrote in message
    news:cmifn9$uo9$...
    > My fairly new Maxtor 120 gig hdd hasdeveloped a prob which prevents

    booting
    > up, I have tried a floppy boot disk and putting the cd in (xp), I get to

    the
    > bios to select the relevant first boot but the system justs goes back to

    the
    > page that gives the message `we apologise but windows etc `and the options
    > Safe Mode etc, But which ever one you select it always returns to this

    page,
    > It is not on a pc which has ever been connected to the internet.
    > I have another pc and when the hdd is changed there is no prob,

    Anyone
    > have constructive ideas please..

    So you're saying that even System Restore doesn't correct this or rebooting
    to the "last known good configuration" either?

    mark mandel, Nov 6, 2004

  3. "Brucey2" <> wrote in message
    > My fairly new Maxtor 120 gig hdd hasdeveloped a prob which prevents
    > booting
    > up, I have tried a floppy boot disk and putting the cd in (xp), I get to
    > the
    > bios to select the relevant first boot but the system justs goes back to
    > the
    > page that gives the message `we apologise but windows etc `and the options
    > Safe Mode etc, But which ever one you select it always returns to this
    > page,
    > It is not on a pc which has ever been connected to the internet.
    > I have another pc and when the hdd is changed there is no prob, Anyone
    > have constructive ideas please..

    How old is the computer where it does not work and what kind of motherboard
    is it running?

    Peter McGinley, Nov 6, 2004
  4. Brucey2

    Brucey2 Guest

    Abit nf7-s only about 5months old and hdd is under guarantee but don't want
    to lose data, Selecting last known good configuration wont work either.

    Brucey2, Nov 6, 2004
  5. Brucey2

    mark mandel Guest

    "Brucey2" <> wrote in message
    > Abit nf7-s only about 5months old and hdd is under guarantee but don't

    want
    > to lose data, Selecting last known good configuration wont work either.

    Did the HD come with a diagnostic program on a floppy disc? If not, then
    you could go to the manufacturer's site online and download such a program
    onto a floppy, then test the drive(for sector errors, etc.).

    mark mandel, Nov 7, 2004
  6. Brucey2

    Anan Amis Guest

    "Brucey2" <> wrote in message
    > My fairly new Maxtor 120 gig hdd hasdeveloped a prob which prevents

    booting
    > up, I have tried a floppy boot disk and putting the cd in (xp), I get to

    the
    > bios to select the relevant first boot but the system justs goes back to

    the
    > page that gives the message `we apologise but windows etc `and the options
    > Safe Mode etc, But which ever one you select it always returns to this

    page,
    > It is not on a pc which has ever been connected to the internet.
    > I have another pc and when the hdd is changed there is no prob,

    Anyone
    > have constructive ideas please..

    Check this out: http://www.computerhope.com/boot.htm
    You might want to create another boot disk, just in case the one you have is
    flawed. This site also addresses the issue of a system that will not boot to
    a bootable CD.

    Anan Amis, Nov 7, 2004
  7. Brucey2

    Anan Amis Guest

    Anan Amis, Nov 7, 2004
  8. Brucey2

    bmoag Guest

    If you are not hearing the dreaded click of death and do not hear your hard
    drive seizing up (actually you should listen to hear if it is spinning up
    properly) the hard drive itself is probably not the problem. The click of
    death, once heard, is unmistakable and inevitably leads to a hard freeze of
    the computer.
    If your Maxtor hard drive is still under warranty Maxtor will not replace it
    (they do not repair hard drives they only replace them, often with
    refurbished drives) unless you have run their utility and can email or read
    them the answers that indicate your drive is toast. The utility runs off a
    bootable floppy. If your computer does not have a floppy drive it gets very
    complicated.
    If your XP installation is corrupted the XP cd very well may not give you
    the opportunity to repair that installation (prior versions of Windows were
    actually better in this regard). If that is the case the easiest thing to to
    do is to try to install a new version of Windows in a different directory,
    preferably on a different hard drive in the computer (if you have one). If
    this works you will be able to salvage your data and the very first thing
    you should do is back up those files on CD. The next thing is to run a
    utility to see if the questionable hard drive is indeed failing.
    If you do not understand how to use the XP cd or a boot disk and attempt to
    read the hard drive (which still requires the use of DOS commands) you need
    to take your computer to a repair shop. Among the problems that can
    masquerade as a failing hard drive are failing power supplies and
    motherboard or memory problems.

    bmoag, Nov 7, 2004
  9. Brucey2

    Brucey2 Guest

    Thanks to all who replied, I appreciate it.

    Brucey2, Nov 8, 2004