    six months' time?

    --
    - Nic.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 26, 2008

  2. Nicolaas Hawkins

    Alan Guest

    "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Given that run-of-the-mill 500Gb SATA hard drives are around the
    > $150 mark
    > and 1Gb around $400 at the moment, where do you see the prices
    > being in
    > six months' time?
    >
    > --
    > - Nic.

    I'll be completely wrong but here goes:

    Personally I don't expect prices to fall all that much over 6 months.

    500Gb down to maybe $135 but 250Gb staying around $80 as there is
    still strong demand from people who feel that they are more reliable.

    I reckon you *will* see 750 / 1000 drives fall though - perhaps by 25%
    as (presumably) the higher end capacities come in.

    It seems to me that the top and bottom end of the 'mainstream' is
    always about the same, it is just the capacities that change (go up)
    rather than prices falling per se. The top end of mainstream (750 /
    1000 today) is willing to pay, say, $400 for that. In 6 / 12 months
    time if the top end is 2000Gb then they will be willing to pay $400
    for that thus pushing all the lower capacities down the chain.

    I guarantee I will be wrong!

    --

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb
    Alan, Aug 27, 2008

  3. Nicolaas Hawkins

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Nicolaas Hawkins" typed:
    > Given that run-of-the-mill 500Gb SATA hard drives are around the $150
    > mark and 1Gb around $400 at the moment, where do you see the prices
    > being in six months' time?

    I reckon about where they are now. The 500GB SATA drive that you mention
    hasn't changed much price-wise in the last six months, if anything it's
    increased slightly. Prices don't seem to be trending down as much in the
    last 6 months as they used to.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 27, 2008
  4. Nicolaas Hawkins

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-08-26, Alan <> wrote:

    > "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message
    >> Given that run-of-the-mill 500Gb SATA hard drives are around the
    >> $150 mark
    >> and 1Gb around $400 at the moment, where do you see the prices
    >> being in
    >> six months' time?
    >>
    >> --
    >> - Nic.

    > I'll be completely wrong but here goes:
    >

    > Personally I don't expect prices to fall all that much over 6 months.
    >
    > 500Gb down to maybe $135 but 250Gb staying around $80 as there is
    > still strong demand from people who feel that they are more reliable.
    >
    > I reckon you *will* see 750 / 1000 drives fall though - perhaps by 25%
    > as (presumably) the higher end capacities come in.

    This is what forces the price change. As you point out lower down, people
    pay so many $ for the top capacity model.

    > It seems to me that the top and bottom end of the 'mainstream' is
    > always about the same, it is just the capacities that change (go up)
    > rather than prices falling per se. The top end of mainstream (750 /
    > 1000 today) is willing to pay, say, $400 for that. In 6 / 12 months
    > time if the top end is 2000Gb then they will be willing to pay $400
    > for that thus pushing all the lower capacities down the chain.
    >
    > I guarantee I will be wrong!

    To date you have not been.
    Gordon, Aug 27, 2008
  5. Nicolaas Hawkins

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 09:38:01 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
    <> wrote:

    >Given that run-of-the-mill 500Gb SATA hard drives are around the $150 mark
    >and 1Gb around $400 at the moment, where do you see the prices being in
    >six months' time?

    500gb is $118 for Seagate & WD, $110 for Samsung at the monent, and
    1000gb (assume that's what you meant) between $242 and $274.
    Craig Shore, Aug 27, 2008
  6. On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 22:32:19 +1200, Craig Shore
    <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 09:38:01 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Given that run-of-the-mill 500Gb SATA hard drives are around the $150 mark
    >>and 1Gb around $400 at the moment, where do you see the prices being in
    >>six months' time?

    > 500gb is $118 for Seagate & WD, $110 for Samsung at the monent, and
    > 1000gb (assume that's what you meant) between $242 and $274.

    Oops, my moustache. I meant 1Tb.

    --
    - Nic.
    (busily cleaning congealed egg off face)
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 27, 2008
  7. Nicolaas Hawkins

    NR Guest

    On Aug 28, 7:36 am, Nicolaas Hawkins <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 22:32:19 +1200, Craig Shore
    > <>  wrote in
    >
    > > On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 09:38:01 +1200, Nicolaas Hawkins
    > > <> wrote:

    > >>Given that run-of-the-mill 500Gb SATA hard drives are around the $150 mark
    > >>and 1Gb around $400 at the  moment, where do you see the prices being in
    > >>six months' time?

    > > 500gb is $118  for Seagate & WD, $110 for Samsung at the monent, and
    > > 1000gb (assume that's what you meant) between $242 and $274.

    > Oops, my moustache.  I meant 1Tb.
    >
    > --
    > - Nic.
    > (busily cleaning congealed egg off face)

    But with HDTV taking up so much more space than SD the price needs to
    go down way faster!!
    NR, Aug 28, 2008
  8. On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 16:29:55 -0700 (PDT), NR <> wrote
    in

    > On Aug 28, 7:36 am, Nicolaas Hawkins <> wrote:
    >> On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 22:32:19 +1200, Craig Shore
    >> <>  wrote in

    >>> 500gb is $118  for Seagate & WD, $110 for Samsung at the monent, and
    >>> 1000gb (assume that's what you meant) between $242 and $274.

    >> Oops, my moustache.  I meant 1Tb.
    >>
    >> --
    >> - Nic.
    >> (busily cleaning congealed egg off face)

    > But with HDTV taking up so much more space than SD the price needs to
    > go down way faster!!

    Eh?

    What the 'ell are you on ... or on about?
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 28, 2008
  9. On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 13:33:47 +1200, Richard <> wrote in

    > NR wrote:
    >
    >> But with HDTV taking up so much more space than SD the price needs to
    >> go down way faster!!

    > Still costs to much in traffic to download it.
    >
    > I was going to download the olympics closing for mum, but it was 14 gigs
    > - thats like $10 just in the data to get it.

    Can we return to the topic of the thread, please?

    --
    - Nic.
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 28, 2008
  10. Nicolaas Hawkins

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2008-08-28, Richard <> wrote:
    > NR wrote:
    >
    >> But with HDTV taking up so much more space than SD the price needs to
    >> go down way faster!!

    > Still costs to much in traffic to download it.

    a few hundered bucks for a freeview card is all.

    Bye.
    Jasen
    Jasen Betts, Aug 28, 2008