    afternoon but in the meantime I was wondering if they're resonably
    standard and if I can get hold of one more quickly than Dell sending me
    one.

    Chris Hope, Apr 28, 2005

  2. Chris Hope

    CSE Guest

    On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 13:21:29 +1200, Chris Hope <>
    wrote:

    >Anyone have any idea where I'd be able to get a hard drive power cable
    >like the one in this pic:
    > http://www.electrictoolbox.com/images/img_1534w.jpg
    >
    >It's from a Dell PowerEdge 650 and the funny connector at the other end
    >is to plug into the motherboard. I emailed them to ask about them but
    >they're pretty slow in responding after replying to my intial query
    >quite quickly.
    >
    >I should have enough time to be able to give them a call later on this
    >afternoon but in the meantime I was wondering if they're resonably
    >standard and if I can get hold of one more quickly than Dell sending me
    >one.

    This will teach you or some one never to buy DELL.

    All custom bits used, so you can't upgrade..
    CSE, Apr 28, 2005

  3. Chris Hope

    Chris Hope Guest

    CSE wrote:

    > On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 13:21:29 +1200, Chris Hope
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Anyone have any idea where I'd be able to get a hard drive power cable
    >>like the one in this pic:
    >> http://www.electrictoolbox.com/images/img_1534w.jpg
    >>
    >>It's from a Dell PowerEdge 650 and the funny connector at the other
    >>end is to plug into the motherboard. I emailed them to ask about them
    >>but they're pretty slow in responding after replying to my intial
    >>query quite quickly.
    >>
    >>I should have enough time to be able to give them a call later on this
    >>afternoon but in the meantime I was wondering if they're resonably
    >>standard and if I can get hold of one more quickly than Dell sending
    >>me one.

    > This will teach you or some one never to buy DELL.
    >
    > All custom bits used, so you can't upgrade..

    Did you actually look at the pic woger? I know you do actually know
    quite a lot about hardware, so perhaps it's a type of connector you've
    seen before.

    Chris Hope, Apr 28, 2005
  4. Chris Hope

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:03:16 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:

    > Did you actually look at the pic woger? I know you do actually know
    > quite a lot about hardware, so perhaps it's a type of connector you've
    > seen before.

    Calling him Roger might encourage him to give forth some of the useful
    information he knows.
    Gordon, Apr 28, 2005
  5. Chris Hope

    Chris Hope Guest

    Gordon wrote:

    > On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:03:16 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:
    >
    >> Did you actually look at the pic woger? I know you do actually know
    >> quite a lot about hardware, so perhaps it's a type of connector
    >> you've seen before.

    > Calling him Roger might encourage him to give forth some of the useful
    > information he knows.

    Hmm true. Pretty please Roger :)

    Chris Hope, Apr 28, 2005
  6. On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 18:06:10 +1200, Chris Hope
    <> wrote in

    > Gordon wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:03:16 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:
    >>
    >>> Did you actually look at the pic woger? I know you do actually know
    >>> quite a lot about hardware, so perhaps it's a type of connector
    >>> you've seen before.

    >> Calling him Roger might encourage him to give forth some of the useful
    >> information he knows.

    > Hmm true. Pretty please Roger :)

    Hang on a shake, I'll fetch the vaseline for you.

    --
    Nicolaas
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Apr 28, 2005
  7. Chris Hope

    SteveM Guest

    Chris Hope <> wrote in news:d4pdqo$vbf$1
    @lust.ihug.co.nz:

    > Anyone have any idea where I'd be able to get a hard drive power cable
    > like the one in this pic:
    > http://www.electrictoolbox.com/images/img_1534w.jpg
    >
    > It's from a Dell PowerEdge 650 and the funny connector at the other end
    > is to plug into the motherboard. I emailed them to ask about them but
    > they're pretty slow in responding after replying to my intial query
    > quite quickly.
    >
    > I should have enough time to be able to give them a call later on this
    > afternoon but in the meantime I was wondering if they're resonably
    > standard and if I can get hold of one more quickly than Dell sending me
    > one.

    The small end looks like the connector used on some variety of CD rom
    audio cables. You might be able to bodge one togeather?

    SteveM
    SteveM, Apr 28, 2005
  8. Chris Hope

    CSE Guest

    On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 11:42:37 +0000 (UTC), SteveM <> wrote:

    >Chris Hope <> wrote in news:d4pdqo$vbf$1
    >@lust.ihug.co.nz:
    >
    >> Anyone have any idea where I'd be able to get a hard drive power cable
    >> like the one in this pic:
    >> http://www.electrictoolbox.com/images/img_1534w.jpg
    >>
    >> It's from a Dell PowerEdge 650 and the funny connector at the other end
    >> is to plug into the motherboard. I emailed them to ask about them but
    >> they're pretty slow in responding after replying to my intial query
    >> quite quickly.
    >>
    >> I should have enough time to be able to give them a call later on this
    >> afternoon but in the meantime I was wondering if they're resonably
    >> standard and if I can get hold of one more quickly than Dell sending me
    >> one.
    >>

    >The small end looks like the connector used on some variety of CD rom
    >audio cables. You might be able to bodge one togeather?
    >
    >SteveM

    No as it has to take the Start up current of the HD, its much larger.
    CSE, Apr 28, 2005
  9. Chris Hope

    Chris Hope Guest

    bloody dell (was hdd power cable)

    So I call them and they tell me I can't just get the cable and tell me I
    can only get the cable if I buy the hard drive from them. And get this,
    they say that their hard drives are special Dell ones and others won't
    work in their machines (sounds like a load of crap to me), yet the
    spare one I have (from an HP system) is identical to the one that was
    already installed in it.

    So Roger's right... stupid vendor lock-in.

    Chris Hope, Apr 29, 2005
  10. Chris Hope

    Chris Hope Guest

    informal nz.comp logfile browser survey (was hdd power cable)

    So out of interest I did a grep on the log files for requests for that
    power cable image and get the following:

    70 requests in total
    41 requests by Gecko based browsers (eg firefox, mozilla etc)
    23 requests by MSIE
    3 requests by Konqueror
    2 requests by Opera
    1 request by Safari

    Translated to percentages:
    59% Gecko
    33% MSIE
    4% Konq
    3% Opera
    1% Safari

    Chris Hope, Apr 29, 2005
  11. Chris Hope

    Shane Guest

    Re: informal nz.comp logfile browser survey (was hdd power cable)

    On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 12:37:09 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:

    > So out of interest I did a grep on the log files for requests for that
    > power cable image and get the following:
    >
    > 70 requests in total
    > 41 requests by Gecko based browsers (eg firefox, mozilla etc)
    > 23 requests by MSIE
    > 3 requests by Konqueror
    > 2 requests by Opera
    > 1 request by Safari
    >
    > Translated to percentages:
    > 59% Gecko
    > 33% MSIE
    > 4% Konq
    > 3% Opera
    > 1% Safari

    ok.. own up.. who was using Safari..
    time to come out of the closet ;-)

    "Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat"
    -- John Lehman, Secretary of the Navy 1981-1987
    Shane, Apr 29, 2005
  12. Chris Hope

    Chris Hope Guest

    Shane wrote:

    > On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 12:37:09 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:
    >
    >> So out of interest I did a grep on the log files for requests for
    >> that power cable image and get the following:
    >>
    >> 70 requests in total
    >> 41 requests by Gecko based browsers (eg firefox, mozilla etc)
    >> 23 requests by MSIE
    >> 3 requests by Konqueror
    >> 2 requests by Opera
    >> 1 request by Safari
    >>
    >> Translated to percentages:
    >> 59% Gecko
    >> 33% MSIE
    >> 4% Konq
    >> 3% Opera
    >> 1% Safari

    > ok.. own up.. who was using Safari..
    > time to come out of the closet ;-)

    Shall I disclose the IP address? kidding ;)

    Chris Hope, Apr 29, 2005
  13. Re: informal nz.comp logfile browser survey (was hdd power cable)

    Chris Hope wrote:
    > So out of interest I did a grep on the log files for requests for that
    > power cable image and get the following:
    >
    > 70 requests in total
    > 41 requests by Gecko based browsers (eg firefox, mozilla etc)
    > 23 requests by MSIE
    > 3 requests by Konqueror
    > 2 requests by Opera
    > 1 request by Safari
    >
    > Translated to percentages:
    > 59% Gecko
    > 33% MSIE
    > 4% Konq
    > 3% Opera
    > 1% Safari

    I might have messed with your logs... although I may not have. it
    depends on how browser caching works.
    I viewed that image three times, each time with mozilla firefox

    first look I was just looking for the hell of it.
    second because I thought I might have one.
    third because I thought I found one(sorry, I was wrong)
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 29, 2005
  14. Chris Hope

    Chris Hope Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Chris Hope wrote:
    >> So out of interest I did a grep on the log files for requests for
    >> that power cable image and get the following:
    >>
    >> 70 requests in total
    >> 41 requests by Gecko based browsers (eg firefox, mozilla etc)
    >> 23 requests by MSIE
    >> 3 requests by Konqueror
    >> 2 requests by Opera
    >> 1 request by Safari
    >>
    >> Translated to percentages:
    >> 59% Gecko
    >> 33% MSIE
    >> 4% Konq
    >> 3% Opera
    >> 1% Safari

    > I might have messed with your logs... although I may not have. it
    > depends on how browser caching works.
    > I viewed that image three times, each time with mozilla firefox

    Doesn't really matter. Only a low-number-of-visitors informal survey.
    And you may have helped boost the numbers of FF :)

    > first look I was just looking for the hell of it.
    > second because I thought I might have one.
    > third because I thought I found one(sorry, I was wrong)

    Shame. Thanks anyway for looking.

    Chris Hope, Apr 29, 2005
  15. Chris Hope

    DoggNZ Guest

    Re: bloody dell (was hdd power cable)

    On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 12:11:24 +1200, Chris Hope
    <> wrote:

    <snip>

    >So Roger's right... stupid vendor lock-in.

    Don't encourage him!!
    DoggNZ, Apr 29, 2005
  16. Chris Hope

    CSE Guest

    wrote:

    >So I call them and they tell me I can't just get the cable and tell me I
    >can only get the cable if I buy the hard drive from them. And get this,
    >they say that their hard drives are special Dell ones and others won't
    >work in their machines (sounds like a load of crap to me), yet the
    >spare one I have (from an HP system) is identical to the one that was
    >already installed in it.
    >
    >So Roger's right... stupid vendor lock-in.

    I thought that I was always right..? -:)
    CSE, Apr 29, 2005
  17. Re: bloody dell (was hdd power cable)

    CSE wrote:
    >>So I call them and they tell me I can't just get the cable and tell me I
    >>can only get the cable if I buy the hard drive from them. And get this,
    >>they say that their hard drives are special Dell ones and others won't
    >>work in their machines (sounds like a load of crap to me), yet the
    >>spare one I have (from an HP system) is identical to the one that was
    >>already installed in it.
    >>So Roger's right... stupid vendor lock-in.

    > I thought that I was always right..? -:)

    you are actually right a lot of the time... it's just that you are also
    a bit of a pain in the arse too.

    yes Im serious, and yes I know Im a pain too, just clarifying my point.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 29, 2005
  18. Re: informal nz.comp logfile browser survey (was hdd power cable)

    In <d4rvts$520$> Chris Hope wrote:
    > Shane wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 12:37:09 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:
    >>
    >>> So out of interest I did a grep on the log files for requests for
    >>> that power cable image and get the following:
    >>>
    >>> 70 requests in total
    >>> 41 requests by Gecko based browsers (eg firefox, mozilla etc)
    >>> 23 requests by MSIE
    >>> 3 requests by Konqueror
    >>> 2 requests by Opera
    >>> 1 request by Safari
    >>>
    >>> Translated to percentages:
    >>> 59% Gecko
    >>> 33% MSIE
    >>> 4% Konq
    >>> 3% Opera
    >>> 1% Safari

    >> ok.. own up.. who was using Safari..
    >> time to come out of the closet ;-)

    > Shall I disclose the IP address? kidding ;)

    It changes every few days, but at the moment it's 202.74.223.229 :eek:)

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Apr 29, 2005
  19. Chris Hope

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 06:47:29 +0000, Roger Johnstone wrote:

    >> Shall I disclose the IP address? kidding ;)

    > It changes every few days,

    Are you using Xtra? Last I heard Orcon was offering static (but not
    guaranteed) IP numbers.

    Bling Bling

    Bling-Bling, Apr 29, 2005
  20. Chris Hope

    Chris Hope Guest

    Bling-Bling wrote:

    > On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 06:47:29 +0000, Roger Johnstone wrote:
    >
    >>> Shall I disclose the IP address? kidding ;)

    >> It changes every few days,

    > Are you using Xtra? Last I heard Orcon was offering static (but not
    > guaranteed) IP numbers.

    So "not guaranteed" would make them *not* static ip addresses, wouldn't
    it ;)

    Chris Hope, Apr 29, 2005