HDD not recognised, I've tried everything... I think.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ken Smith, Sep 3, 2003.

  1. Ken Smith

    Ken Smith Guest

    Problem : I get this message when I boot. "Pri Master Hdd Error Run Setup Press F1 to resume "

    It all started when after everything was running fine on the Samsung, I tried unconnecting the IDE leads to tidy them up and
    reconnect them. I then got the above error message.

    I should also add that before I put Win98se on the Samsung, I tried putting XP pro on both HDD's. XP wouldn't install on either.

    New HDD - Samsung SV0411N 40gig
    also tried Western Digital - WD 300 30gig

    both not recognised

    on the Samsung - Windows 98se (FAT32)
    Western Digital - nothing but (NTFS)

    I've tried securing the IDE leads and then replacing them.
    I've flashed the BIOS
    I've left the one HDD on the end of the lead and then the middle of the lead.
    The jumper setting is on ,"Master" with no CD or other HDD attached.
    I've tried both manufactures Disk fixing utilities, nothing. Just not recognised
    Booted with Win98 boot disk. It says it can't find any partitions and says to run FDISK.
    Tried FDISK. No HDD attached! So I can't run it.

    Is the the Motherboard faulty? Broken connection in it somewhere?

    A bit long-winded I know, but I'm sure you need all the facts.

    Thanks for reading this,

    Ken

    Ken Smith, Sep 3, 2003

  2. Ken Smith

    Boomer Guest

    Ken Smith wrote:
    > Problem : I get this message when I boot. "Pri Master Hdd Error Run
    > Setup Press F1 to resume "
    >
    > It all started when after everything was running fine on the Samsung,
    > I tried unconnecting the IDE leads to tidy them up and reconnect
    > them. I then got the above error message.
    >
    > I should also add that before I put Win98se on the Samsung, I tried
    > putting XP pro on both HDD's. XP wouldn't install on either.
    >
    > New HDD - Samsung SV0411N 40gig
    > also tried Western Digital - WD 300 30gig
    >
    > both not recognised
    >
    > on the Samsung - Windows 98se (FAT32)
    > Western Digital - nothing but (NTFS)
    >
    > I've tried securing the IDE leads and then replacing them.
    > I've flashed the BIOS
    > I've left the one HDD on the end of the lead and then the middle of
    > the lead.
    > The jumper setting is on ,"Master" with no CD or other HDD attached.
    > I've tried both manufactures Disk fixing utilities, nothing. Just not
    > recognised
    > Booted with Win98 boot disk. It says it can't find any partitions and
    > says to run FDISK.
    > Tried FDISK. No HDD attached! So I can't run it.
    >
    > Is the the Motherboard faulty? Broken connection in it somewhere?
    >
    > A bit long-winded I know, but I'm sure you need all the facts.

    Can't tell you much, other than something is fucked, but someone will be
    along shortly to offer advice. In the meantime, you might like to look for
    earlier posts on the same subject.

    Rindler Sigurd would also like me to tell you that you should not jump off
    the roof of your house. You might hurt yourself, apparently.

    And as for posting, whatever you do, don't post in HTML. And if you want to
    post test messages, please use a TEST group.

    alt.test --------------------------------->
    misc.test ------------------------------>
    za.test --------------------------------->

    The purpose of test newsgroups is to allow users to test
    their news software and servers without annoying others.

    FYI http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/testpost.html

    Thank You :-[*]

    Boomer, Sep 3, 2003

  3. Ken Smith

    HamMan Guest

    <snip crap>

    Is the HDD cable the right way up and the power in?

    Also while you were 'tidying up' did u plug the master / slaves in the right
    way?

    HamMan, Sep 3, 2003
  4. Ken Smith

    Kraftee Guest

    HamMan wrote:
    > <snip crap>
    >
    > Is the HDD cable the right way up and the power in?
    >
    > Also while you were 'tidying up' did u plug the master / slaves in
    > the right way?

    Did they partially unplug the ribbond lead from the motherboard.

    It's funny how people break things & then make things worse by just
    adding 'insult' to injury...

    For instance it was working before they 'played' so they've flashed
    the bios......DERRRRRRRR. Hint get it working before you play with
    anything else, that way you only have one problem to solve at a time.

    --
    B-)
    Life is pain.....

    Kraftee, Sep 3, 2003
  5. Ken Smith

    Boomer Guest

    How the **** would HanMan know, unless he was there, you fuckwitted cuntox?

    Boomer, Sep 3, 2003
  6. Ken Smith

    Ken Smith Guest

    For the sake of Google Groups archives. The problem was the Motherboard. I replaced it and everything is fine now.

    Ken

    Ken Smith, Sep 4, 2003
  7. Ken Smith

    Buffalo Guest