    Is it just dead and its time to hit with a hammer and throw in the rubbish?
    Or anyone have any ideas on how I could play with this and maybe get it
    powered up? :)

    Brian, Nov 4, 2007

  2. On 2007-11-04, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Brian waxed eloquently:
    > Aloha,
    >
    > I have a standard ide 3.5" hdd in an external enclosure. I've been using it
    > for many years. Several months ago it was starting to act up (unable to read
    > some files/folders, the power plug was finicky), and I stopped using it when
    > I purchased a new laptop with a larger hard drive.
    >
    > I'd like to get this working if I can, though (It's a rainy day and not much
    > else to do). The hdd isn't powering up. I've verified that the molex plug in
    > the enclosure does have the proper voltages, so the enclosure is ok and hard
    > drive itself is getting the power, but not powering up.
    >
    > It's an IBM deskstar hard drive. It's from March 2002, so it's pretty old.
    > Is it just dead and its time to hit with a hammer and throw in the rubbish?
    > Or anyone have any ideas on how I could play with this and maybe get it
    > powered up? :)

    It's probably FUBAR. The IBM Deskstars were nicknamed "Deathstars", so that
    ought to tell you something.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    Q: What's the difference between a dead dog in the road and a dead

    The Old Sourdough, Nov 4, 2007

  3. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Guess the 6 years of use I got out of it was above and beyond, huh

    Brian, Nov 5, 2007
  4. Brian wrote:

    > Guess the 6 years of use I got out of it was above and beyond, huh

    Sometimes taking the drive out of the enclosure and attaching it to a ide
    cable in your pc may help for recovering data, if necessary. Otherwise,
    forget about the deathstar. You may have some good paperweights from me as
    well, if you dare to pay the postage :)

    wisdomkiller & pain, Nov 5, 2007